“Very disappointed by service and food quality”
Review of The King & I

The King & I
Ranked #224 of 2,971 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Our women's group thought we'd enjoy a nice Saturday lunch at The King and I. We'd eaten here before years ago and found it wonderful. However, I cannot recommend now. The service was unbelievably slow, inattentive and unresponsive. We arrived when the restaurant opened so there were only 3 other tables with people.

The food quality has also suffered. We kicked off being served ice tea from a soda machine, not even fresh brewed. Our appetizers took 15 mins to arrive and we had ordered the fresh spring rolls. There were completely bland and lackluster. There were no bean sprouts, cilantro, basil or any fresh herbs. They consisted of rice noodles, carrots and the shrimp. VERY disappointing.

The vegetable pad thai again was very bland. It was like it had no flavor or seasoning. The vegetables were clearly from a can, not fresh.

To top it off, our server took 10 minutes to bring our checks after we asked for them and then included the tip (18%). We immediately called the manager in and she fixed the bills. Our server did not receive 18%. I was surprised that the appetizer and vegetarian pad thai I had, added up to $15 for lunch. Certainly not worth what I paid for it.

Overall a very disappointing experience. We will not be going back there.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Maybe my expectations were too high..but this place was kind of disappointing. The prices are on the high side and the portions seemed pretty small. I have been to a lot of Thai joints and this just wasn't impressive. I think I would only go back if the prices were cut by about 50%. My entree came with one small scoop of rice and when we asked for more they were quick to bring more but didn't bother mentioning that they were going to charge me $2 extra.
I think the only plus was the nice server we had.
the average plate was about $12. My entree came with one small scoop of rice and when we asked for more they brought it right away but didn't bother to mention they were going to charge us $2 for it.

Reviewed June 10, 2010

My extended family went to the King and I for a celebration dinner. Our group of ten was easily accomodated. The service was great, water glasses repeatedly filled and every request granted. The food was very good and included a wide variety of Asian dishes. The staff was very helpful with a couple of us who have dietary concerns and made sure that everyone recieved the level of spice that they could accomodate. I plan to return on my next visit.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

This used to be my favorite Thai restaurant in St. Louis. Went back with anticipation, but the tofu in my green curry was overcooked and rubbery. Will give 3 stars because of previous good experiences--might have just been an off night.

Reviewed June 28, 2009

The generic decor of the restaurant leaves some to be desired. Good vareity of menu items, with mostly traditional Thai dishes. Value was good for the quality of the food. I'd probably choose to return to try a different ethnic restaurant on South Grand.