“I hate writing this review.”
Review of Sidney Street Cafe

Sidney Street Cafe
Ranked #124 of 2,926 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Benton Park
High Ridge, Missouri
“I hate writing this review.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This used to be my favorite restaurant for fine dining. I am sorry to say its going down in stature. Menu choices have diminished. No more chalk board with lots of choices, Now its printed and always the same. Swordfish is gone. One fish option is a mediocre striped bass which was just ok. Chilean sea bass...gone! Still romantic and cozy. Still excellent service. Shortcuts I hope are because of the recession. Bring back the good food!

• Visited October 2012

London, Ontario
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Creative dishes in a friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stumbled upon this restaurant by accident -- it looks somewhat unassuming from the outside but it is truly an outstanding restaurant in Benton park. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The menu is creative and delicious, and the portion sizes are on the smaller side (so that you can enjoy 3 courses!). The entrees menu contains the obligatory steaks -- 3 I think -- but I'd recommend trying some of the more interesting dishes (e.g., duck, rabbit, cornish hen, skate, lamb). The prices are upscale but there is definitely value for money.

• Visited October 2012
Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Australia
“So disappointed”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were so excited to come here before the symphony for our anniversary dinner. Unfortunately we had a horrible experience. The service was fine, however my husbands filet was very overdone. We let the server know and she agreed with us and sent it back. A young manager (?) came to the table to let us know that the steak was cooked perfectly and that we must have ordered it wrong......very disappointing. We left soon after and our night wasn't as nice as we hoped. One would hope that a customers satisfaction would come before the ego of an arrogant front of house manager. We won't be coming back.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank gen636
Loudon, Tennessee
“Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This restaurant makes every effort to give you a terrific dining experience. The menu is varied with exciting combinations of food groups. It is then prepared the way you like it, with time between courses, so that you really can enjoy the experience of fine dining.

• Visited September 2012
“None better”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We have been visiting Sidney Street Cafe since we first discovered this gem on the night I proposed to my wife. We no longer live in the US, but make an effort to get back once a year. Ok, so maybe this makes me a bit biased... but, no where in STL tops the service and food of Sidney Street Cafe. Sure, STL has a lot to offer, from Niche to Five to Monarch... but there is only one #1.

By far my favorite aspect is the unpretentious atmosphere and staff. The whole Sidney Street family gives off a pure vibe of love and respect for food and treat your meal as an effort to share their passion with you. We started visiting as a young couple, but have since been dining with infants and young children. We have always felt welcome and left with smiles on our faces.

Enjoy!