“Very Good!”

Pho Grand
Ranked #109 of 2,890 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Arcadia, California
“Very Good!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We are spoiled and have Vietnamese at least once every other week back home in Southern California. Being on an extended road trip this summer and tired of diner food, we decided to give Pho Grand in St. Louis a try. It was a welcome change, and we were happy with our experience.

We arrived for a late lunch. The restaurant was half full, and patrons continued to trickle in as we dined. We were seated quickly, and we found the service to be friendly and efficient. Prices were on par with what we're used to at home (about $6 - $9 a dish).

We ordered fried shrimp for an appetizer, and they were excellent! (They were like bite size shrimp egg rolls.) My husband enjoyed the crushed rice dish with charboiled pork, eggcake, and shredded pork, all topped with an over-easy fried egg. Our 5 year old son similarly enjoyed his chicken fried rice.

Our daughters had pho (noodle soup), and I ordered a bun (noodle salad). Overall, these dishes were good, but I have 2 comments about them. First, the broth for the pho had a sweet, floral bouquet that was unfamiliar to us. Our younger daughter, who has a very sensitive sense of smell, noticed it right away. She ate her noodles but wouldn't drink the soup as she normally does. I tasted her soup and agreed with her about the scent. Second, the bun dish came with the sauce already in it. (Back home, the sauce comes on the side.) For me, this was a negative because I couldn't control the amount of sauce, but more importantly, the egg rolls and noodles became too soggy. Otherwise, the dish was tasty.

All in all, we enjoyed Pho Grand. We liked its hip atmosphere, and the food was very good. We strolled around the neighborhood afterwards and had a pleasant afternoon!

• Visited July 2014

“We love Pho Grand”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is one of our favorite places to dine. The food is excellent. They are always busy and service is very fast.

Visited June 2014
new york
“Authentic Vietnamese cuisine with excellent food and service”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We went to Pho Grand with friends from the area, this very busy restaurant offers an extensive menu. As I understand it's a very popular place and often a long line on weekends to get in. We started with Spring rolls it was very fresh and came with a very light and tasty dipping sauce. For meals I had a chicken dish with garlic peppers and it was fantastic. My friends had scallops prepared in a coconut curry and soups and they all raved about it. Overall, it was a great culinary experience for all. I definitely would go there next time I'm in St Louise.

• Visited July 2014
“Still great!”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Pho Grand is still great for Vietnamese. It has changed to a more Vietnamese fusion and upscale but still one of my favorites to eat. If you like French coffee, get here and you won't regret it.

• Visited June 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Authentic, not suburban, food.”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was one of the first restaurants in what has become St. Louis' much-heralded international restaurant row on S. Grand Avenue. DO NOT expect Americanized food here. The Vietnamese recipes are genuine, as is the liberal usage of hot spices. The small space is always full, and service is fast. Many Vietnamese nationals are among the customer base. In all, an excellent experience for someone who appreciates good international food.

• Visited June 2014