Carmine's Steak House
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Walnut Street
Description: Carmine's Steak House, located in the heart of downtown St. Louis in the newly renovated Drury Plaza Hotel, promises and delivers the finest in aged steaks, hand-cut chops, rack of lamb, chicken and seafood entrees, as well as Lombardo's signature toasted ravioli. House made desserts, from our in house pastry chef. Extensive wine list. With private rooms that can accommodate 10-170 people and nightly complimentary valet parking, Carmine's offers convenience for tourists, business meetings, and local diners alike.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I took my mother here for dinner. I was a bit nervous when I walked in because I was wearing jeans and a hooded sweatshirt; this place looks a bit upscale. I have to say I was treated as if I was wearing a tux. I was thrilled with my steak and sides. I will return for a meal if I am in this city again.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I used to come here every time I was staying in St. Louis.(4-5 times a year) This time it was just bad. Their wine list by the glass continues to be almost non-existent and their bottles are blasé.

I had the lamb which was all fat and not prepared to my specifications. The oysters were horrible, I found it hard to believe that they were fresh. My wife just had the salad because she couldn’t bear their menu. I also thought that the prices were overpriced for the quality that you receive. My wife and I do well for ourselves and we aren’t penny pinchers, but I still believe in paying for quality.

During our meal some people who were in for an insurance convention were seated next to us. I was appalled at their racist remarks as they talked about minorities and the insurance that they should or shouldn’t receive. The comments made me cringe and hope that they weren’t government insurers. In addition they were very loud. I am surprised that the restaurant staff didn’t ask them to lower their volume. Although, to be fair, I could have walked out of the restaurant. So part of that is on me.

What happened, Carmine’s? You used to pride yourselves on your service and the experience of eating at your restaurant. It appears to me that you have become complacent. I wish you well and perhaps when I come back in the Fall I will give you one more try to see if this experience was, “the exception to the rule” or whether you have lost your way due to complacency.

1  Thank David A
Reviewed May 7, 2013

As a family we celebrated my son's 13th Birthday here on Fri 5/3/13. The downtown area was kind of quiet as there was no sporting events in town. Skip our server was amazing, he always had a smile and never rushed us. The food was amazing and my 10 year old daughter wanted to compliment the Chef! The Chef made a personal appearance and took my daughter to the kitchen and allowed her to make her favorite dessert- creme brûlée ! Now that is above and beyond! Thank you all for making our celebration even more special.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went straight from Cards game on Sunday afternoon. Resturant was quiet at that time of day. Plenty of wait staff. They were all friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. We all had the special, an 8 oz filet with red onions and red wine reduction sauce that came with choice of sides. Filets were cooked to order and melted in your mouth. We also had the made to order appetizer plate, their Toasted Ravoli were fantastic, but the crab cakes were even better. Recommend stopping here after or before a game, they offer a good deal on parking, especially compared to parking around Busch Stadium.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We arrived at our reservation time and seated immediately. The service was good. It was our waiters first day on the job and he did a good job of explaining different items on the menu as well as the specials. The food was average and there was little in the way of healthy choices. The chicken choices were all breaded and there was only one vegetable offered. The vegetable was in a cheese sauce.