“Good food, total experience lacked something”

Carmine's Steak House
Ranked #65 of 2,880 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Walnut Street
Description: Carmine's Steak House, located in the heart of downtown St. Louis in the newly renovated Drury Plaza Hotel, promises and delivers the finest in aged steaks, hand-cut chops, rack of lamb, chicken and seafood entrees, as well as Lombardo's signature toasted ravioli. House made desserts, from our in house pastry chef. Extensive wine list. With private rooms that can accommodate 10-170 people and nightly complimentary valet parking, Carmine's offers convenience for tourists, business meetings, and local diners alike.
Nashville, Tennessee
“Good food, total experience lacked something”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Based on the high rating on TA, we decided to try this restaurant last week. From the moment we stepped in, it just seemed that something was lacking. We had made a reservation and the restaurant was not busy, but we were just walked in and seated at the first table the hostess came to. It wasn't a bad table but was not the best either, and it was clear the reservation meant nothing.

I ordered a wedge salad and told the server I intended to split it with my dining partner. She brought it to the table, handed my partner an empty plate and walked away (no offering of fresh ground pepper either). My partners steak was very good. I ordered a bone in ribeye and I think it was one of the least impressive of those I have ever eaten. Again, not bad, but not great. The dessert offerings did not blow our socks off either. They were good.

I always hope to go into a restaurat in a new town and come away with an awesome experience to write about. It just didn't happen this time. We ate at Ruth Criss the next evening and it was way better.

• Korean first
Mountain Brook, Alabama
“The service was very good!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

First, I wanted a great steak, ( filet ) and have to say the steak was cooked exactly as I asked , it may have been the special topping, but I left after 70 ( w tip) feeling it's overrated, the waitress was out of this world, but I honestly didn't enjoy the lobster pomodore"(?) it was a tomato sauce that to me , tasted like spaghetti, the sauce on my filer was waxy, though the steak would have been succulent, the bar was loud , so if you want relaxing, to me it was not quite annoying but enuf that ii didn't finish my steak. Twiced cooked potatoes tasted like they came from a box, I feel they have great potential bc the meat is a excellent quality! But it was not enhanced by the " topping, rather covered the flavor, sorry I won't try it again, I walked out feeling very disappointed for the $ ,( ps I do overtop , and no alcohol ordered so that may give you idea of 1 appetizer and the steak a small filet, I'd avoided Ruth Chris bc I have one in my hometown, but next visit I think I'll stick with that

Cary, North Carolina
“Great steak”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had a filet that almost melted in my mouth. It may have been the best steak I've ever eaten. The twice baked potatoe was also good. Everyone at the table enjoyed their selection.

Visited September 2012
Pendleton, Indiana
“Amazing with a capital A!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were in St. Louis for our wedding anniversary and wanted to go to a nice upscale steakhouse. Well it just so happened to be Labor Day and originally we had wanted to go to Ruth's Chris (there is one where we live and we both love it so it only seemed natural). Well apparently they are closed on Labor Day so we went to plan B and asked our hotel concierge what they would recommend and they said Carmine's HANDS DOWN. So that is where we went. It was only 3 blocks from our hotel. Everything was amazing. Amazing food. Amazing service. Amazing wine. I definitely want to go back! Unfortunately we don't have one where we live but now whenever we travel I will definitely be looking for one! Oh yeah, did I say it was amazing??

Nebraska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pricey but delicious”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The deco was beautiful. My husband and I just ordered a couple appetizers because it was a bit on the pricey side which we knew it would be. I was a little disapointed the menu didn't have more of a selection. Either way the food was delicious and the staff was great. Carmine's was one of the few places open on a Sunday night. We had a great time and it was a nice experience for a couple on a weekend getaway.