“Best Service in St. Louis”

Bar Italia Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Italia Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #209 of 2,941 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central West End
Cross street: Euclid
Transit: Close to the metro link Central west end station. Bus stop near by.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I are new to St. Louis and, to be honest, we are foodies. We always eat in when given the choice because we can cook it better than a lot of restaurants we can order it at. But, being new to the area and not having our old gourmet kitchen to work in, we have been eating out a lot.

The other day we walked past Bar Italia and my wife mentioned, we need to go there. That place looks really good. The outdoor eating area (heated in the winter) was very charming with the garden like atmosphere and lighting. My brother was recently in town from Minnesota so we decided we'd go to Bar Italia.

I called and made a reservation and the person who took my call was very charming. I explained to her that we had recently moved and that we had not yet been to the restaurant. She told me she would get us a special table and make sure our server knew we were new to the area.

Our server, Kelly from Kansas, had worked there the past eight years and gave us the history of the establishment, from it's origins back in the 80's across the street. It is now owned by four brothers. She easily rambled through the extensive list of specials from memory and made suggestions. When I ordered the lobster ravioli and she found out they were now out of it, I told her to choose for me since she knew what was good better than I.

We had a goat cheese appetizer and a wonderful broccoli soup, which had its fair share of cream. The soup was to die for good.

Dinner consisted of swordfish for my brother, and pasta dishes for my wife and I. I had a seafood pasta in a marinara sauce with shrimp, mussels, and clams. Wonderfully prepared and seasoned. All three dishes were excellent. Our total bill was $90 for three people, which included appetizers.

I enjoy wine and have a modest number of bottles at home. I generally pay the corkage and bring my own, which I did that night. Corkage was a modest $12. However while there, Robel, one of the four brothers stopped by our table and visited with us. He noticed I had brought wine so he brought over their extensive wine list. From Ornellia and Sassacia to Gaja, Bar Italia has a Wine Spectator quality wine list. Truly a great number of amazing bottles of wine. Next time, which will be this Saturday by the way, we will drink theirs.

Prior to leaving, Kelly showed us their private wine cellar room where you can entertain a small group of people, say 8-16. Robel, also showed us the larger private area, which was filled with people watching the Presidential Debate the evening we were there. Perfect for a wedding reception or larger private party. Of course the location on Maryland in the CWE is perfect as well.

Whether you are new to the area or a life long St. Louis area resident, Bar Italia is a most excellent choice for exquisite dining.

1  Thank russdan60
There are newer reviews for Bar Italia Ristorante

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We walked here from our hotel and were charmed by the lovely patio. The service was a tad slow, but they were very busy. The food was excellent and very nicely presented. I had the one of the specials, a grilled pork chop with a brown sugar rub, topped with a slice of roasted apple. Since I eat low carb, they were very accomodating with substituting the sweet potatoes with roasted vegetables. The other members of our group ordered the fish special and the tortellini and were also very impressed. This was our last meal in Saint Louis and one of our favorites during our trip.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My title says it all. It's as authentic as you can get without leaving the US. The owners/managers are always approachable and modest. Even had several large business event dinners for more than 30 persons. Truly an enjoyable and satisfying experience.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I always enjoy the atmosphere, usually I enjoy the wait staff & consistently I love the food. Great wine selection, decent lunch choices, awesome patio for people watching.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

What I loved about this place - the outside dining. It was a beautiful night and a great place to relax. The food was great and they were very accommodating to my friend who had dietary issues. Service was very slow - but I think that was intentional and it didn't bother us at all - left us plenty of time just to sit outside and enjoy each other's company. For that alone, I don't think this is a place for little kids. One tip - they have a row of seats where one side is chairs and the other side is a bench with cushions. I would try and avoid it if possible, as it the bench was low and our friends had to sit awkwardly to eat. But otherwise a great experience and we will be back!