“Truly Outstanding -- not to be missed. In fact, plan a special trip!”

Little Country Gentleman
Ranked #899 of 2,888 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Forsyth
Transit: Metrolink: Clayton Metrobus 97: Forsyth & Maryland
Chicago, Illinois
“Truly Outstanding -- not to be missed. In fact, plan a special trip!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I would fly to St. Louis and spend the night, just to go back to Little Country Gentleman. This is a first-rate spot - on par with anything one could expect in the major dining capitals.

My visit was with a business group. A board of directors, to be exact, and it was the dinner the night before our meeting. Virtually everything about the evening was out of this world.

First - the cocktail. Any place that uses a smoker to infuse bourbon with applewood smoke gets a nod from me. The six-course menu, with two options per course, offered something for everyone. Innovative, tasty, unique -- these were the words flying around our table for the meal. I particularly loved the chilled raw tomato soup. And I don't like tomato soup.

Service was exceptional. Dave the wine director maintains a wonderful list, with surprising options, most notably from Macedonia.

Rarely have I seen a meal where everyone was offering his or her plate to everyone else to taste -- but Little Country Gentleman is one of those places. My only regret was that we couldn't make it back for breakfast under their other persona, Half/Half. Next time!

The only area were we were disappointed was the music in the background. Harsh rock music was not the right choice, and it was too loud. We thought it was probably what they listen to during prep time, and our group would have preferred something that melted more into the background. However, the quality of food, drink, and service were so exceptional that I'm not deducting a star for this small atmosphere overlook.

• Visited September 2013