“A Wonderfully Unexpected Delight!”
Review of The Parkway Hotel

The Parkway Hotel
Ranked #30 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My reservation at the Parkway Hotel in St. Louis was a so unexpected because, as a member of a group of ten, I thought we were going to be booked at someplace inexpensive and inferior. Our stay at the Parkway was completely the opposite. Not only were the rooms beautifully appointed, the mirrored elevators, and decorative halls compared to no other hotel I had ever been to for the price we paid(another pleasant surprise!). And to add to the physical amenties, the staff was nothing but consistently helpful, more than pleasant, and the epitomy of professionalism. We bombarded the front desk employees, Terry, Stephanie, and Erica with unlimited questions and requests; and still they remained true professional greeters. Our shuttle drivers, Ed, John and Dwan were always on time and gave wonderful tips for perusing the city, Even the security guard, Denise insisted on assisting us beyond her duties and was extremely helpful in giving suggestions for walking tours near the hotel. The main purpose for the trip was to visit Sweetie Pie's restaurant in the Mangrove area, but the Parkway Hotel was definitely an added bonus, and I and my friends are looking forward to the next opportunity to partake of the best popcorn, warm chocolate chip cookies, and Continental breakfast that the Parkway offers at no additional charge.

Room Tip: All our rooms were GREAT!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Parkway Hotel

Reviewed May 14, 2012

We have stayed at the Parkway many times while being treated at Barnes Hospital. Not usually a happy occassion for a "fun" hotel experience. Rooms are ALWAYS clean. Staff has always been friendly and helpful and do everything they can to accomodate. Example: we arrived today an hour before scheduled check in. The desk went above and beyond so we could check in early.

I always read the "poor" reviews on tripadvisor to
see what bad experiences people have had. I think that most of the poor reviews on the Parkway are undeserved. I think there are some people in this world that just can't be happy no matter what. I have also found that if you treat people kindly, that kindness will be returned 10 times.

P.S. Did I mention the free popcorn in the lobby, free chocolate cookies in the evening, free breakfast, free coffee in the room?

Room Tip: We like the street side view. Some rooms face the parking garage.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was a great location as were were visiting a student at the Wash U PT school who lived a few blocks away. The entire hotel is updated and very clean. We arrived at 12:30 am and were greeted by a cheerful staff member. The breakfast was hot with excellent sausage patties! Convenient $5 in and out parking.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were here for a wedding over a very busy weekend with both the St. Louis Blues and Cardinals playing. While the entire city was sold out, the hotel was packed with multiple other weddings, a reunion of some sort, and what appeared to be a youth sports team. Despite the hotel being a madhouse we found the staff to be the most professional and courteous we have ever experienced.

We didn't have much interaction with the morning people, but the night staff were simply awesome. Erica at the front desk was a sweetheart and ball of energy (she has the coolest ear-rings EVER) and I don't believe anyone walked away from that desk without a smile on their face. The bellman Dwan was always ready to take anyone anywhere he could manage to jam into his busy schedule, and it seemed everytime someone stepped out of his shuttle they were laughing and smiling. His charisma is contagious to the point that even the few party-poopers complaining about getting to the reception late (new in-laws...sigh) were in a good mood by the time we got there.

The man behind all of this was Brad. He was the manager most of the time we were there. Sharply dressed (and SO CUTE), it was apparent the moment we walked in that this was the guy in charge. He was friendly, seemed to know a lot of guests on first name basis, and was always accessible to any guest who needed something. He knew all the hot restaurants in the neighborhood, taught us the trick to getting a cab in St. Louis, and by just telling the hostess at a local restaurant "Brad sent us" we skipped the wait for a table and were given a personal greeting by the owner and samples of some things he's working on for the next menu...

The next night there was a Tornado warning and the hotel had to be evacuated. Even with chaos going on outside and god knows how many people jammed in the cement walled meeting room, the staff kept everyone calm and moved so quickly and efficiently to ensure everyone was safe while taking the time to keep all guests informed and even turning on the TV in the so we could see the storm over us and let us know everyone would be fine. On top of all this we were close enough to one of the security guards to hear over his radio that Brad had gotten everyone inside from the garage and was going room to room to ensure everyone was ok! It's no skyrise, but with 8 floors I have no idea how many rooms he had to run to. After maybe 20 minutes the whole ordeal was over with people talking about hail the size of baseballs and relaxing in the lobby as if nothing had happened. I come from the west coast, so I had no idea what a tornado was like, but I do know I'd never seen wind blowing that hard, and apparently that was "mild."

The only negative was the breakfast. It was fine Friday but it was a total mess Saturday morning, with never enough food or seating and kids sitting on the floor at some times. The breakfast food itself was "meh" at best, with little in the way of variety. We were a little disappointed the first night, so we avoided the crowd Saturday and just walked across the street. There's a lot of great places in the neighborhood to get food, so unless you're in a hurry, I suggest getting breakfast somewhere local.

Otherwise amazing, if ever in St. Louis again, totally staying there.

Room Tip: Avoid breakfast! Just walk out the front door and cross the street, SOOOO much good food!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jenny J
Reviewed April 21, 2012

An odd experience staying here this week. This hotel is very convenient to the Wash U medical center. Wash U put me up there, and it was within a short walk of where I was meeting and speaking and a restaurant area was just a block away. Very high convenience and accessibility to reasonably price dining options. The hotel is well maintained, but there are odd things about it like no internet in the rooms -- except for the 7th floor -- which made a difficult place to be for business travel. They do have internet in the lobby, but given a busy day schedule I was not keen to spend my evening in my shorts in the lobby. Other odd things: one drinking glass in the room. Why? I also found the staff very defensive. My bathroom drain was not working correctly, and the response at the front desk was "not my fault." Breakfast is pretty typical for lower end "free breakfast places," but the staff are in attentive to empty coffee, food trays that are empty, and cleaning up the tables in the course of the morning service. The convenience is hard to beat, and I would stay there again if I had a full day at WU. Otherwise, the irritants make it worth taking a taxi to and from a standard business hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an internet room. You cannot take this for granted.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jack B
Reviewed April 3, 2012

The hotel staff made a difficult time much easier. They were alway very helpful and friendly.
Everyone from the frount desk to the maids, suttle drivers, and parking lot attendants would always greet you with a smile. We have to go back in June and I hope we are able to stay at Parkway again.

Room Tip: the location to the Barns Jewish Hospital was perfect. I could take the hotel suttle or walk to the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jean C
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I booked this hotel through hotels.com because I was afraid that if I bid on a hotel in the CWE/Clayton area through an auction site, a four-star would be The Cheshire (which I didn't want to stay at) and a three-star would have been the Best Western on Lindell which doesn't look nice. So, I was there over the NCAA weekend of 3/23-26/12.

You can't beat the location. It's an easy walk to up Euclid through the heart of the CWE and basically just across from the east side of Forest Park. The facilities are basic and clean. Nice closet space, I wish the bed had an updated duvet instead of an outdated comforter, but all in all the space was good. I didn't use the fitness room. Breakfast was bad. Maybe there should be fresher and healthier choices instead of reheated biscuts and gravy and soggy hash brown cakes. I ate there the first morning then avoided it thereafter.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo