“Great hotel in the heart of the Washington University/BJH campus”
Review of The Parkway Hotel

The Parkway Hotel
Ranked #31 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
California
“Great hotel in the heart of the Washington University/BJH campus”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed here while at Washington University for an interview, and it was a great place. It is literally next door to several of the hospitals, and is connected to them by a sky bridge. My room was large and comfortable, with a comfortable bed, big TV with tons of channels, clean and updated bathroom, and quiet room. The free internet was great and well appreciated. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank Kate C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for business purposes, attending a conference a few blocks away.
The rooms are clean but the walls are paper thin. I could tell you every word of the converstation between the couple staying in the next room. The staff is friendly but the lobby looks, feels and smells like a lobby for an assisted living center. It's obvious that many people stay there for medical-related visits. There are even doctors and nurses that walk through the lobby.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Never in my life have I experienced such service from a hotel, and I can say that as a frequent business traveler to some very exotic (and not so exotic) locales, I speak from experience. While I myself was not staying there, due to my business relationship with a 5 star hotel nearby, my family were there for the more reasonable rates while we had a loved one at BJC. Should there be a next time, I will have no qualms foregoing the swanky upscale location I chose to instead stay at The Parkway.

Firstly,despite it being an obviously busy night for the hotel, all employees, from desk to bellhop to housekeeping were exceptional at their positions. I had the pleasure of meeting the Front Desk Manager, I believe his name was Brad, who seems to know the neighborhood like the back of his hand. Over the span of the few days we were there he gave us recommendations on places to eat, things to do, and actually asked us anytime we were nearby how we were all doing (by that point he knew our niece was undergoing very serious surgery and always took the time to talk to us and sit when any of the family were obviously distraught.) One day while walking along Euclid we even saw him in passing on his day off and he took an hour out of his time to sit down and talk with us.

I cannot say enough nice things about our experience with the Parkway. While the breakfast could be better and the building shows it's age, the people there are so genuine that any negatives one could point out are null by comparison. I came on tripadvsior to read reviews of the hotel, and I'm saddened by some of the "nit-picky" comments posted by previous travelers. No location will ever be perfect. However, what The Parkway is doing is something that has become a rarity in hotels. They treat guests as family, and when so many guests are coming for the medical center, that can be no easy task. I cannot count how many guest I saw approach the desk and were on a first name basis with the agents and how the agents would take as much time as possible with any guest who needed extra asistance. I know that customer service is always about the facade of caring, but these people truly care. I saw them hug guests going through tough times, cry along with others going through what must have been the most horrible stories. I cannot say enough abut their staff. Even the regular guest themselves were friendly and wealths of information. Sometimes we would be in the lobby (where they make fresh cookies everyday!) and would end up talking to families in situations similar to our own and just being around such similar circumstances was enough to make friends and feel less alone. They helped with what questions to ask, what nurses to look for, doctors to try and talk to...It was amazing.

I ran a hotel for a long number of years before retirement, but let me say this. If I were still in the industry, I would be fighting this hotel to take their employees! That Front Desk Manger Brad is a pro, and his staff equally amazing. Big respect to whoever the owner/GM of this property is to be able to maintain such a talented crew!

Room Tip: Pay the up-charge for rooms on 7 and 8...newly renovated and beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Arthur D
Houston
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was there for 4 nights. The people is super nice. It is located by Childrens Hospital. You are walking distance(1block) from very nice restaurants and little boutiques or shops. Nice to walk through the restaurants and shops into streets with pretty old upscale houses. Also this beautiful huge park is two blocks away

There were noises coming from upstairs in my room. I told them and they changed me right away with no problem.

They have popcorn, cookies and apples free for the guest.

Breakfast is ok, I would improve it a little with some whole grain breads or muffins

Do not expect nice views from your room window, they have a lot of rooms with views of a huge parking lot.

1 Thank Susana R
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My family and I stayed here because of a family member's surgery that was taking place at Barnes. You can't beat the location and ease of getting from the hotel to the hospital. They have a connected walkway from the hotel to the hospital, but be sure and remember that it closes at 9pm and you have to walk outside after that. The area was a little scary for my mom and grandmother at night, as there were some interesting people walking around in the area. The room was clean, and staff was extrememly friendly. Breakfast was a mix of hot food, including eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, and regular intercontinental breakfast fare. I used the fitness center to "de-stress" a little bit, but beware that there are two leg machines and the free weights only go up to 50 pounds,,,,, but that's it as far as weights go. There was a mix of cardio equipment though. The only reasons I'm not giving the hotel a 5 out of 5 is because of the shady people in the area at night (that I understand the hotel cannot control), and the fact that the shower in our room had rust stains in the tub, some mold on the caulking, and smelled a little bit like they used old towels/cloths to clean it.... it was also kind of dark in there, as there is one set of lights and the walls are painted a dark color. May seem picky, but it's just the facts.
I would tell anyone that will be at the hospital for an extended period to stay here. Can't beat the location and the free breakfast. You will also appreciate the friendliness/helpfullness of the staff.

Room Tip: -Rooms on the south side, away from the street are quieter -Walkway to hotel from hospital closes a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AA7364
Illinois
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My family stayed at the Parkway for 6 days after my father was admitted to Barnes Jewish Hospital following a stroke and seizure. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone needing a place to stay while a loved one is in the hospital (or for any reason you are in the area). The staff welcomed me and cared for me in my distress and always greeted me and asked how things were progressing. We took advantage of the free shuttle service to the hospital a few times and utilized the indoor walkway link between the hotel and Barnes South. This was a very safe way for us to get back and forth in the early mornings and evenings, for my mother, my two daughters, toddler, baby and me. The free hot breakfast every morning was a lifesaver for our group as we didn't have to rush to get dressed and drag the babies out into the city. The adjoining Applebees was a nice change of menu from the many meals eaten at the hospital cafeteria (which is very good with a good variety too). Parking for only $5 a day was great. The on-site laundry facilities came in handy as we only brought a limited number of changes and had to extend our stay repeatedly. The policy for extending our stay and late check out was very generous. I wish I had the names of the staff to compliment each one individually, but it is not a stretch to say that EVERYONE WE ENCOUNTERED went out of their way to offer their sympathies and best wishes and help to us in any way we needed. I wish I received this level of hospitality at all the hotels I visit.

Room Tip: The third floor links to the sky walk to hospitals. Park on the first floor of the garage to have th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
parkway2, Manager at The Parkway Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Good Morning and thank you for taking out the time from your busy day to review The Parkway Hotel. Due to our great location, we have the best of all worlds. With our close proximity to the Hospitals, we get to know the family and friends of the patients. We also have our other guests that are non hospital related, which consist of groups, weddings, athletic teams, government, corporations and associations. It's a busy hotel and our wonderful staff does a great job of remembering our guests and providing a great stay for them. We hope that you can come back and enjoy all that our hotel has to offer without making a trip to the hospital. There is so much to do within our area for lots of family fun. Thanks again for selecting the Parkway Hotel and your review, we apprecite it.
Bellevue, I
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I was staying at the Parkway for 9 days in order to have surgery at The Center for Advanced Medicine/Barnes Jewish Hospital. I would highly recommend staying at the hotel for anyone who is going to that hospital - it's easy to access the facilities using the connected walkway; there's plenty of nearby eating establishments; the fantastic walking trails in Forest Park are just a block away; the Metrolink is less than a block's walk; and the hotel has a 5-mile area courtesy shuttle that can take you to plenty of museums, attractions, and shopping. The whole set-up made for an easy and stress-free stay. Additionally, the staff was very courteous and caring, wanting to make sure we were well taken care of. At then end of our stay, we knew many by first name - Lester, Ed, John, Audrey - and departed with hugs and personal farewells. Not likely to happen at a chain hotel. I will be returning for follow-up appointments and plan to stay at the Parkway again.

Room Tip: The 8th floor has the nicest rooms and best views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
parkway2, Manager at The Parkway Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the Parkway Hotel. We are independently owned and operated, and we believe this makes us special. There is no need to be "chained" to a "chain hotel" ?
The Parkway Hotel is the HOTEL THAT CARES. Our staff truely loves and enjoys our guests. We remember our repeat guests which always makes them feel welcome.
We have a wonderful location that is convenient to the Hospitals, the University and various attractions and restaurants which makes The Parkway Hotel "the place to stay."
The staff looks forward to your return. See you soon.