“Ok For Lunch”

Ranked #562 of 2,992 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Austrian, German
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nearly 60 years ago, the present-day Schneithorst's Hofamberg Inn took up residence at Lindbergh and Clayton roads. It was the culmination of the founder, Arthur B. Schneithorst, Jr.'s dreams: a place where outstanding food and service could come together in an atmosphere equally suited to business and family dining / entertainment. But the present-day Schneithorst's isn't the beginning of the story. For that, we have to return to 1917 when his father, Arthur Schneithorst, Sr. started Benish's Restaurant at Eighth and Olive downtown. Arthur Jr. recalls eating at the downtown family restaurant every day until the Depression years finally closed its doors. His father reentered the restaurant business by opening the Rock Grill at 204 N. Eighth St. Arthur Jr. was in law school at the time, but it wasn't long before he joined his father in the family business. In 1937, the family took over the Bevo Mill, where Arthur Jr. got his first real taste of the Bavarian dining experience. When his father passed away in 1947, Arthur Jr. and his mother continued running the Bevo Mill until 1955. In the meantime, Arthur Jr. was successfully operating the separate restaurant business, handling the airport food and restaurant concession business, as well as food operations at seven Holiday Inns. Then came 1956, the year the Hofamberg Inn was born. "I was always in the right place at the right time," Arthur Jr. recalls. he purchased the land for the inn at arguably the busiest intersection in St. Louis. The location, along with the uniquely Bavarian menu and exceptional service, proved to be big factors in the restaurant's success. While Schneithorst's is known for its Bavarian atmosphere and menu, the restaurant continues to add new, lighter dishes, serving seafood and chicken as well as the traditional weinerschnitzel and sauerbraten. Today the fourth generation of the restaurant dynasty is carrying on the family tradition of good food and service in a warm atmosphere. While new ideas ensure Schneithorst's will always keep pace with today's restaurant goers, one thing will never change...a sincere desire to make your visit memorable. "We build this business by making friends. Friends for life." From the Schneithorst family to yours, many thanks for your friendship through the years.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I stopped in for lunch. We love the place for breakfast but it has been a while since we have had lunch there. I had the fish and chips which were ok - the fish was above average and the chips were below average. But I also ordered a side of red cabbage which was awful and a side of slaw which I did not care for. I love red cabbage and slaw, but could not eat either of these. The red cabbage tasted like it had gone bad and the slaw had too much mayo and did not have good flavor. My wife ordered the pork sandwich, which looked ok and was good-sized. She ordered a side of grilled cabbage, and it, too was pretty bad. We like their menu and will probably go back, but we won'b ordering anything with cabbage.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

After being a patron to this restaurant for a few years and being mostly satisfied with the food and service, I have been learning quickly that it isn't even satisfactory anymore. In fact, it's a down right disgrace. I like to support family owned restaurants and businesses but I am done giving them any business again. If you care to know what your experience is like, it maybe described like this: You can expect to come in, be seated and then have no wait staff until you complain that nobody has come to your table. Then if you order an appetizer or soup before your main course, it will come out after your entree only because you reminded them that you ordered it. Looking at your main course meal you will also notice that all the things you asked for them not to put on the food (ie food allergies, etc) is actually loaded full on your plate. When it's sent back, everyone else eats and you starve because it takes obscenely long for them to bring the food out "right". As a matter of fact, we waited so long that my family started packing up to leave before my dinner was served. So I ended up taking it home. If you ask if they modified my check for their lacking of services- the answer is no. This didn't happen only one time. It's happened almost every time we have gone the last couple occasions, so that's the final straw. Too bad! Very very disappointing!

2  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Having grown up with the original Schneithorsts I arrived expecting a complete German meal... Saurbraten and potato pancakes. We were in the coffee house, I suppose and the entrees were limited. I had a Rueben and found it lacking.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Schneithorsts is a restaurant we've passed hundreds of times but never went into. It is in one of the more upscale parts of the town and that carries a certain amount of expectation. The other thing the name Schneithorsts conjures up expectations of German cuisine. So after having passed this restaurant for more than 50 years we decided to indulge.
Service was good and the menu was good. I ordered Bockwurst and Knackwurst with sauted onions, wedges of toasted rye bread and sauerkraut. My wife ordered the rainbow trout. The menu also listed a side of potato salad which sounded like the perfect accompaniment for both dishes. Unfortunately, there was no potato salad to be had.
The meal was served in a reasonable time after ordering. The sausages were cut in smal, bite sizes. German mustard was served as well. The meal was good. The mustard complemented the sausage well. The sauerkraut was ok as well. My wife said her trout was ok as well.
The problem, we are Germans from a long line of Germans and have been spoiled by GREAT German dishes and on occassion a flub.
Maybe it was a case of having too great an expectation. We've had this impression that Schneithorst was thee place for German food. And while the food was ok it was not great. Just not the great food we'd been looking for.
Live and learn.

2  Thank Richard M
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The reservation seemed to be a mystery until finally someone pointed and said "that's your table"! Shortly thereafter a female service person accosted us as if we had walked in and sat ourselves down...which we might as well have done since there were no menus, no place settings and no service. The Thanksgiving option was not offered alongside the regular menu and was recounted verbally when we inquired. Even a truck stop would have done a better job.
Never have we felt so unwelcome in an establishment that wanted us to spend our money! The staff were surly, unprofessional and grubby looking and seemed to be neither trained nor managed. It is just amazing that places like this can stay in business when so many places that try really hard fail.
We left and were fortunate to find an alternate with great food, nice people and excellent service.