“Great beer, decent food”
Review of Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tap Room
Ranked #26 of 2,941 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We are fans of Schlafly beer, so we decided to give their restaurant a try. They have all of their beers on tap, hence tap room, and that is pretty awesome. It really has a bar and grill atmosphere, and the food is up to the quality of similar restaurants (my salmon was a bit dry). It was the perfect atmosphere to have dinner with a group of friends.

There are newer reviews for Schlafly Tap Room

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stopped in to try the beers and was impressed. Not only was the beer good but so was the food. I had the catfish po boy and my with had the ham and egg sandwich. The bartender was great to talk too.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a private party and all was paid for, so unsure of prices but its a cool place with lots of drink (beer) options. I didn't try any of the food but it looked good. Not an elegant romantic place, more of a guys hangout, micro-brew (of course) feel.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My family, friends, colleagues, and I have been eating at the Schlafly's since nearly the first year it opened. We had many wonderful meals, happy hours, and gatherings over the years, and enjoyed watching Schlafly's grow from a small restaurant with a few craft brews to the mega-brewery and restaurants it is now. We moved to Florida two years ago and finally got back to Sclafly's this June, hoping for another great meal and fun time. I should have realized there was going to be a problem when the bar areas were empty and there was only about 1/3rd of the tables with customers on a weekday towards the end of happy hour.

It was a big disappointment. The dinner Fish and Chips is now the size of the previous lunch portion, it had 3/8 inch thick coating, and was fried to an extremely dark brown - taste was marginal at best. The Flat Iron Steak, ordered medium rare, had grill marks over a 1/8th inch thick that were WELL carbonized. Even after removing the grilled sides of the steak, the medium (pink) center tasted burnt. 'Luckily, the fries were as good as we remembered. The other dishes ordered tasted average, nothing to brag about.

The draught beer selection was a disappointment. It is late spring almost summer, why wasn't Raspberry Heffy available? And no doubles or triples? The draught selection was as good as the local grocery store, no better.

On top of all of this, we had a disinterested waiter who made sure we knew that customers were an inconvenience. He seemed to openly despise most of the tables he waited on. When we brought our concerns to his attention, he ignored us. He said maybe 30 words to us the entire time he was there. The only thing he did correctly was deliver the bill after being asked twice.

Schlafly’s has been tops in my book for many years. It is no longer worth my time or money, and isn’t worth yours.

I guess the ownership change a year or so ago did it in, just like so many other great restaurants.

1  Thank Karl S
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Nothing beat fresh beer for tast. We enjoy the tasting options. Sometimes the food menu leaves me wanting something different or more, with sometimes above average prices. However, I mainly go for the beer.