“Only worth it for the desserts!”
Review of La Bonne Bouchee

La Bonne Bouchee
Ranked #10 of 57 Bakeries in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2012

To be honest, I wanted to give this place a three, but I couldn't bring myself to it because the desserts are just too good. My advice? Skip the meal.
I've been here multiple times for lunch, and the actual meals, for lack of better words, are terrible. It's sad that a place making such good desserts have such bad meals.
The first time I went, we had sandwiches which were really unimpressive. Other times-the onion soup is more cheese then soup. It actually made me nauseous, it was gross. I also had some sort of chicken platter which was moderately expensive, and it looked like chicken I could buy at the supermarket with a horrible tasting side of rice, and butter soaked vegetables.
I am truly not a picky individual, but there is nothing good I can say about their meals. Now desserts on the other hand, fantastic! This is their saving grace.
Their desserts are to die for. Cakes, tarts, candies, and pastries galore. A true dream. Everything I have had (and my friends have had) in the dessert section is delicious-I have never heard of a complaint here.
I recommend this place for the dessert-don't miss out!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Take you time and enjoy a glass of wine with your meal; the wine list is quite nice although small. You must choose a truly French delicacy for dessert to enjoy there and to take home. You'll return often. Olivier is a master chef.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I took my Mom here for a girly luncheon and was not impressed. I'd eaten lunch here once before and remembered it being good so thought it would be a nice way to treat my Mom. When we arrived the restaurant was busy, but not overwhelmingly so. We waited at the front for a table & although we saw 3 servers look at us, no one ventured over to seat us for quite awhile. I tried to look around to see if all the patrons were looking at menus (meaning that the restaurant had just had a rush of people & were super busy), but only 1 table had menus while others appeared to be eating meals. We were finally seated by an unfriendly hispanic woman who took forever to bring us the water we ordered.

Luckily our server turned out to be a lovely friendly lady who knew the menu well. My Mom ordered the French Onion Soup & Quiche Lorraine while I ordered the Lobster Crepe & Soup du Jour which happened to be Potato & Leek soup that day. My Mom's onion soup was great & she enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately, my potato soup was so thick it appeared to be mashed potatoes in a bowl. I even poured some of my mom's onion soup on the top to try & give it a bit more flavor and it ended up looking like mashed potatoes & gravy. I was shocked the Server would even serve it.

The Quiche Lorraine tasted great and the Lobster Crepe was alright....It wasn't bad, just nothing memorable. The inside was like a very thick paste and had too much tarragon for my liking.

I had to use the Ladies Room and while in there the Hispanic lady who sat us was hanging out looking at her phone and although she kept moving to the spots I needed to be - sink to wash my hands, towel rack to dry, etc....she never once said excuse me or even acknowledged that she was in the way. Again, not a huge issue, but the unfriendly worker helped give me the overall impression that this is just an average restaurant along with the average food.

1  Thank STLLUV2TRAV
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The food is wonderful; lunch or dinner from the French Onion soup to to main entrees,; but the best part is the desserts!!! I think this is where the Phrase "toDie for...." must have been coined!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We go for two items: the eggs benedict and the strawberry mousilin cake. The eggs benedict are likely the best around town but when compared to other places they have room for improvement. The mousilin strawberry cake is wonderful. I always buy this cake when there's a special occassion at home or with friends.