“Expected More”

Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soulard
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Tuckers had the look and feel of a neighborhood bar, but the reputation of a fine restaurant. We arrived a few minutes ahead of one of the members of our party so they understandable would not seat us until she arrived. We had been traveling all day and were famished, so we ordered drinks and appetizers at the bar. Once seated in the dining room, we were checking out the menu and the portions were ginormous! However the menu plainly stated there could be no sharing. So I stuck with a lemon chicken salad while my husband and friends ordered the 16oz filet with all of the trimmings. My salad was nothing to write home about; merely iceberg lettuce loaded with white cheese, and bacon bits with grilled chicken on top. The steaks were ordered medium rare and while the centers were done right, the outside was somewhat charred. The rest of the food was good, but not great. The servers were very helpful, and engaging and did whatever they could to accommodate us. They were excellent!!!

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Tucker's is the place for a great steak and a great value. Upstairs is great but seated downstairs near the bar has quite a tavern feel too it. The steak is excellent, portions are large and service was great. I am a repeat customer and two different locations and food/service are seamless between the two.

2  Thank pkrtrvlr
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We came here for lunch on a Friday during our first visit to St. Louis..the food was very good and reasonably.priced for the value. The atmosphere was also nice--very eccentric and casual

1  Thank TennesseeTraveler582
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Enjoyed another awesome meal at a Tucker's Place over the weekend! Tucker's specializes in steaks but does offer a few other options as well. Meals include a baked potato and salad as the sides. (The only thing I have tried and not been enthusiastic about is their pizza, but pizza is not why I go to Tucker's.) For lunch I give a big thumbs up to the daily sandwich specials, which are a really great deal...

On our visit last Saturday, three of us ordered steaks - all cooked perfectly to our requested doneness - and the other person in our party decided on the salmon. The steaks are basted with a tasty sauce near the end of the grilling process, so you might not even need steak sauce. Everyone was really happy with their meal, so we'll definitely be going back!

There are three Tucker's Place locations in St. Louis. For lunch I prefer the Soulard location and for dinner I prefer the West location on Manchester. The service can be a bit hit or miss, but on this visit the staff was refilling our drinks almost faster than we could drink them.

1  Thank MJandDC
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We've long talked up the steaks at Tucker's to my dad, so finally took him for Father's Day. We weren't disappointed at all. The service was great, but the delicious steak is what really makes Tucker's a place to return to again and again. There are other things on the menu, but I can't imagine ordering something other than the filet. Atmosphere like this can't be built new. It has to be acquired over many years. Prices are comparable to any of the big chain steakhouses, but the food is immeasurably better. Looking forward to our next trip to St. Louis to eat here.

1  Thank Fremontkitchen