“Very good service and late night dinner”
Review of Trattoria Marcella

Trattoria Marcella
Ranked #47 of 2,907 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lindenwood Park
O'Fallon, Missouri
“Very good service and late night dinner”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We sat on the outdoor patio. Friendly and attentive service by all who waited on us. The bruschetta was very tasty, and the bread was nicely loaded with the topping. Just the right amount. I had the angel hair special with chicken, black olives and artichoke hearts that was fantastic. One of the best dishes Ive had in awhile. Overall, this is a very nice place to dine with very good service and really good food. AND, they are open until 11:00 Friday and Saturday night.

• Visited July 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Great flavors and service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Each time I go to St. Louis I make sure I have dinner here at least once. Great service, very friendly with a decent wine selection. I particularly enjoy the shaved brussels sprouts salad. There's a mixture of sweet, sour and crunchy that's unlike anything else I've eaten. While I've tasted their pasta and it is excellent, I typically order their fish special. Very light with delicate flavors.

• Visited June 2013
Kirkwood, Missouri
“"Our dinner was divine."”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife said that the following morning, thinking back on our anniversary dinner at our favorite restaurant. We celebrated our 48th with what seems like family at Marcella. This is one of those special restaurants you go to with high expectations - and then discover they are exceeded. Our meal was superb - my wife had a chicken dish with morel mushrooms. I went with one of my faves: liver and onions. It's the only place I order that dish. Both were outstanding, the young woman who waited on us was friendly, knowledgeable, and had a terrific smile. Then Steve sent over a delicious dessert for our anniversary: mascarpone cheese cake and incredibly juicy strawberries, locally grown. We were there for almost 2 1/2 hours and still it was too short of a visit. When people tell me about the great places they've eaten in New York, New Orleans, Chicago.... I tell them "If you want something special, go to Trattoria Marcella." I just hope I can still eat liver when we celebrate our 50th.

• Visited May 2013
wyoming
“A special evening”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We visited some friends in St. Louis and enjoyed our dinner very much.Excellent food and service despite how busy the resturant became.We look foreward to dining again.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank 3119
Mar del Plata, Argentina
“It started as a wonderful dining experience...”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I went to Trattoria Marcella on Saturday night. We had made a reservation for 8:30 p.m. but did not get seated until about 9. We were taken to a room of about 12 tables and seated at a table directly underneath the speakers. For some odd reason, they had chosen to play rap music and Michael Jackson, quite unsuitable for an Italian family restaurant; all we could hear was the loud bass, boom, boom, boom, and we could hardly hear each other. We asked the very helpful and professional waitress if she could have the volume lowered, and she said she would try. It did not do much good. Finally, before we got our main dish, we asked to be moved to a table that had become vacant, away from the speakers. This made a big difference.
The food was excellent all the way up to my husband's main dish. While we were reading the menu, we were brought some small focaccia with a garbanzo dip; both were delicious. Then, we ordered the mussels in cream sauce as an appetizer, and this dish was excellent, full of delicate and delicious flavors and textures (there was crunchy bread in the sauce), beautifully presented, and with tender, succulent mussels. My husband ordered a Caesar salad and thought the salad and dressing were also excellent. For a main dish, I had the chicken and spinach cannelloni in a white and red sauce. They were delicious. The pasta was soft and tender, and the filling was very flavorful without being too garlicky or spicy. It was a great dish. My husband ordered the spaghettini in parchment. It was a very bland dish, and the shrimp and calamari in it were rubbery and overcooked. When the waitress came to ask how we liked our dishes, he mentioned that it was flavorless. The waitress said it really did not look like it usually does and took it back to be doctored up. The second time, it was extremely garlicky, and the shrimp and calamari, even more rubbery. My husband ended up eating some of my cannelloni, as there was enough for the two of us. Although we did not request it, the dish was taken off our ticket, which was a very nice and unexpected gesture. Another nice thing the waitress did was bring us samples of two wines for us to try and decide which to order with dinner.
Overall, it would have been a superb dining experience had it not been for the loud, out of place music and the poor main dish. We would try this restaurant again.

• Visited May 2013