“Good food, but service seems to have declined.”

Cunetto House of Pasta
Ranked #40 of 2,926 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Birmingham, Alabama
“Good food, but service seems to have declined.”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Cunetto's is my husband's favorite restaurant to go to when in St. Louis, but this last time, although the food was very good, the service wasn't as good as it had been in the past. Can't put my finger on anything specific, but we just didn't feel as if we were a valued customer as we have felt in the past. We were stuck way back in a corner and our server almost acted as if it were an imposition for her to come back and check on us. The food was good. I had Tortellini Bianco and my husband had Tortellini alla Bolognese. Portions were big.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great staff, adaquate food”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I had "try The Hill" one more time on our bucket list and we picked Cunetto's by chance. Although we were ignored for a few passes by the staff as we waited for a table, once in they were all very attentive. My wife ordered pasta, and I ordered a veal cutlet sandwich with a side salad (which is a little extra in cost compared to the usual side of pasta). My sandwich was OK, but no better than what a inexpensive sub shop would have made; the salad, in St Louis tradition, was a little cheesy, but I know they have to cater to local tastes. My wife's pasta tasted like it came out of a can-- overcooked spaghetti and uninspired sauce, no relation to anything we've ever had in Italy. The bill was about $22 with one ice tea and one water. Very nice interior, all nice and wood although the chair rail needs attention, and the place was spotlessly clean. In the end, great staff, very attentive, but I think they could do better with the food.

“Just fine...”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Not bad food. Not great food. Value is ok. We ate there for lunch on a Friday. My husband had veal parmigiano sandwich--the cutlets didn't seem hand breaded, weren't crusty. Similar to what I'd expect in a take-out Italian place. The spaghetti with eggplant was ok, but the spaghetti was no where near al dente, just limp and tasteless. The sauce tasted like a lot of sugar was added, and also managed to be very acidic. The salad dressing was heavy with tons of parmesan (or similar) cheese. It was overdressed--my husband liked it since he likes his lettuce drowning. I found it wilted and the cheese overbearing.

The restaurant is very nice inside, and would probably be a nice location for a special occasion, if ambiance was most important.

The service was attentive once we ordered, but horrible before that. We walked into the restaurant and waited by the "please wait to be served" sign. A bus boy came by. saw us, said nothing, and walked away. A woman walked by, saw us, walked away without saying a word. She returned a minute or so later to seat us. Turns out, she was the hostess. I was appalled that the hostess had not bothered to say "Welcome, I'll be with you in one minute." How hard is that?? It took a few minutes for water/bread/server attention. Once we had looked at the menus and they were lying on the table, the server walked past us without acknowledging us, checked on the two tables past us, then walked by our table again without acknowledging us, all while I was staring at her. She returned a few minutes later to get our order. Service was fine after that, but I was pretty unhappy by the first impressions that the staff offered.

While I don't dislike this restaurant, nothing about the food or service makes me say, "let's go back."

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good food, great value”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is THE place to go on the Hill if you're looking for a wide selection of pasta dishes as well as steak, veal, fish and seafood. While not "gourmet quality", dishes are delicious and the portions are quite generous. I suggest sharing a large house salad and an entrée with your dining partner; if you don't, you'll be taking home a couple of doggie bags! The waitresses are familiar with sharing and will bring out your food already divided onto separate plates so there's no need to scrape and pass at the table. Seems like its always crowded and somewhat noisy here so if you want an intimate dining experience, this is not the place.

Rotonda West, Florida
“Just OK”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We used to love this place and would eat there each time we visited St. Louis. We were staying over night in St. Charles on our way back to Florida. We drove 25 miles to The Hill to eat at Cunetto's. The service is excellent but the food is just OK. Wish we would have tried another restaurant on The Hill. Will try something new next time.

Visited September 2013