“Heavy sauces but tasty, pleasant meal”

Cunetto House of Pasta
Ranked #45 of 2,901 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Mn
“Heavy sauces but tasty, pleasant meal”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Clearly this is a local favorite – and it’s always fun to find yourself in a local favorite haunt when you’re on the road. It’s very old school Italian – heavy red or white sauces, plenty of bread and huge portions. Two of the kids shared – but honestly we could have gotten away with 2 pastas and an appetizer or salad for 5 of us. The service was quick and pleasant.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Flyover Country, United States
“Large portions, but...”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Cunetto's is a St. Louis institution. The cuisine is traditional, middle of the road italian. It is the sort of food that made italian food popular in this country about 60 years ago: pasta, with either red or white sauce, topped with cheese. Some people swear by it, others swear at it. I have eaten there many times over the past three decades, and while I will not swear at it, I would only recommend it for the size of the portions. (I remember seeing the St. Louis Rams quarterback treating his offensive linemen to dinner there. Those guys can eat a lot of food, and are probably not too choosy. They must have liked the meal, because the quarterback was not sacked at the game the following weekend.) My most recent visit was a case in point. My children brought a quest home with them for spring break, and my wife & I were faced with feeding 4 people between the ages of 15 an 21. A trip to one of the finer italian restaurants would have been quite expensive, and the young adults would probably had to have had a second meal a couple of hours later. Our appetizers were unremarkable, toasted ravioli and fried calamari. The salad was obviously made in a large tub, and the lettuce was so laden with dressing that it appeared to have been cooked. There were a few bits of pimento, onion, and flecks of provel cheese, but nothing could rescue it from the oil bath. I had the special, seafood cannelloni, and it was not bad. It had a seafood taste, but I would be hard pressed to identify the kinds of seafood that were present. The cook used a heavy hand with a fairly undistinguished white sauce. Everyone else's meal seemed to be alright. Nothing worth raving about, but nothing worth getting indignant about. The best part of the meal was that it was filling; so much so that we all took naps afterwards. The service was efficient, but not particularly attentive. We went at the beginning of the service, so our wait was minimal. That is probably the key to having a positive experience here: go at a time when you do not have to wait. If you have to wait 45 minutes (or longer), you will probably walk away disappointed, save for the fact that you can have the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Wichita, Kansas
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were told by many people that we needed to head to The Hill for some Italian food. We settled on Cunetto's and were very impressed. The food was very good and the portions were huge! I was a little worried when our waitress told us there was no kids menu as we had our 3 kids with us, but she suggested if they would all eat fettucine that we order a bowl of that and all 3 could split it. She was dead on, as this worked perfectly. I ordered the Linguine Tutto Mare and it was outstanding. It had tons of seafood and tons of flavor. I would definitely go back and would order the Tutto Mare again!

Hutsonville, IL
“Great Italian Food”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Well there are lots and lots of good places to eat on the Hill and this is definitely one of them. We ate dinner here last night after going to the Orchid Show at the Missouri Botanical Garden. I had the Pavorotti pasta, my husband had pasta with meat sauce, my dad and brother had the veal scallopini. All were excellent and especially the SAUCES were fantastic. The side salads were good as well and had lots of toppings and great house dressing. Bread is ok, nothing special. We also had the lemon sauteed calamari and I thought it was pretty good. Always a great meal at Cunettos!

• Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“What does everyone see in this place???”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for lunch about 12:30. We had to wait 15 minutes as I preferred to be seated away from the kitchen. The hostess accommodated us, but "friendly" would not be the word I would use to describe her. Our servers, on the other hand, were very good. I believe the best part of the meal was the olive salad. The veal on the veal parm sandwich was tough and sinewy. The salad was tired with rubbery meat. My friend ordered a club sandwich which that appeared hastily assembled. I cannot understand how other diners can rate Cunetto's so high. Perhaps dinner meals are better....I will never know though, because I won't be back!!!