“Finally found the best pizza in St. Louis!”
Review of Black Thorn Pub

Black Thorn Pub
Ranked #518 of 2,957 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Neighborhood: Tower Grove
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Being from Chicago, I've always struggled to find good pizza in St. Louis. There's just nothing even comparable. It's unfortunate it took me so long to discover Black Thorn Pub, because this is pizza I can really enjoy! This is as close to Chicago-style pizza as I've ever had outside Chi-town.

The pub itself is an awesome dive. Writing covers the walls, reminiscent of Gino's. There's shuffleboard and a small arcade, along with a juke box. A couple tv's are showing whatever sports are on. Basically, it's exactly what I look for in a pizza pub.

The pizza itself is just plain satisfying! We got the deep dish pepperoni. It's super filling and super delicious. Cheesy, doughy, and with a full layer of pepperoni in the middle of the pizza along with the pepperoni on top. And, it's cheap! The large deep dish was under $20, and easily fed 3 of us!

Overall, is it as good as Chicago's best? No. But, it's easily the best I've had in the Lou, and cheap and delicious. Highly recommend it to all who are disappointed with the limited selection in Saint Louis! It's just too bad I found it as I'm leaving in a month for good, or I can guarantee I would have been a regular customer!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Decided over the weekend to revisit an old favorite: Black Thorn Pub. This hole-in-the-wall bar is in South City on Wyoming at Spring (just a few blocks south of Tower Grove Park).

Boy are we glad we went back! The bar itself is nothing to write home about, but the pizzas are truly awesome! Black Thorn does not open until 5:00 pm each evening, but as soon as you see them open the front door (usually 4:45), they are open for business.

Black Thorn offers three different styles of pizza: thin crust, thick crust, and Chicago-style. We ordered their Chicago-style - which granted is not like any pizza I have had in Chicago, but I love it anyway. Black Thorn's pizza sauce is more of a smoky tomato sauce with loads of herbs that is really flavorful. (Also all of the toppings are not buried under the sauce like a traditional Chicago-style pizza.)

Like many other reviewers have pointed out, their phone starts to ring off the wall with orders for pizza each night at 5 on the dot. We got in the door shortly before 5 and ordered our pizza even before we sat down. Our pie only took about 30 minutes, but shortly after we arrived they were already telling people it would be an hour. (Tip: Soft drinks are bottomless, so that is a good bargain if you are going to wait very long.)

As for the layout of the bar, there are only about six booths and three tables in the place, so if you want somewhere to sit, that is another reason to get there early.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a little corner pub sort of hidden away off a main thoroughfare in St. Louis. It's a very
dark almost sketchy appearing place, but the pizza is amazing. We order the deep Chicago style pizza, and it takes a good bit to get it............but they are a very popular pizza place, and between the cooking time and the number of orders they have, it is understandable. This will always be a favorite place.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

It's a divey little joint that opens at 5pm. If you eat there they serve it on paper plates. If this kind of thing bothers you, get over it because the pizza is amazing. If you enjoy flavor and awesomeness, this place (and pizza) is for you. It's been some years since I've enjoyed the bar, but I still come back for the pizza. 10" deep dish with EVERYTHING! This has been my order since day one its so good I've not tried any other combinations. I've never done that with any other restaurants as I enjoy experimenting. Neat neighborhood located off South Grand.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was a little unsure about the dark bar, but my husband insisted this was the best pizza he had ever eaten. Boy was I converted! We showed up just after they opened (5pm) and the phone was already ringing steadily with takeout orders.
We ordered our pizza, then drank a couple of beers while waiting. The sauce was so fantastic; peppery and herb filled, I probably would have eaten it on its own. We ordered a 10" pan pizza with sausage, peppers and onions and it was perfect for the two of us. Walk off of Grand down Wyoming for this amazing pie!