“Great Tapas”

Modesto Tapas Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: The Hill
Cross street: Edwards
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Tapas”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

In the middle of marinara heaven sits Modesto which is a great change of pace from the heavier italian places that surround it. The food is good and the Sangria is even better.

Sugar Land Texas
“Fine Tapas Place in Italian Restautant Area”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We were in St. Louis to attend meetings and met some friends for dinner. We drove to "The Hill" to have Italian food but decided to give this place a try. We had several dishes. The cauliflower in truffle oil and the green beans dish were outstanding. We split a paella dish which was not traditional in that it did not appear to have saffron, but it was very good. My wife is allergic to mussels so she had a shrimp/octopus dish which was good. We split a salad and a dessert and they were above average. Our waitress was efficient and attentive. We were there on a Monday evening and the crowd was moderate but all seemed to have a good time. The wine list was small but authenic and I was very pleased with my selection. Like most tapas places I have been, the cost is no cheaper than a traditional meal but the variety of choices make it just as good a value.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank slhokie
Silicon Valley
“Feels like being back in Spain”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

outstanding selection of tapas, very tasty food, good variety of wines by glass and/or bottle. very attentive service, yet not obtrusive. reservations are a must for weekend evenings. save room for dessert!!! a surprising gem in the Italian neighborhhod known as The Hill.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Patrick S
Saint Louis, Missouri
“If in STL and you wanted a nice meal (anniversary, etc), this is where I would send you”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Others have already sung the praises of the food here, so I'll just add my voice to the chorus. I Live here in St Louis and have tried the usual suspects for the best restaurant/fine dining crown in the city (I'm looking at you, Sidney Street Cafe and Niche). Yet if someone asked me for my recommendation on where to go if they wanted one special meal (say, a birthday or anniversary), Modesto is where I would send them without hesitation. First of all, their food is far more consistent than the other places, which seem to be hit or miss. Secondly, because their food isn't nearly as pretentsious as the other spots - none of the trendy gourmand fads here, just good food.

Third, because when you go out you want to get something memorable - I can tell you from experience that I don't recall a single item I ate at Sidney St Cafe or Niche, but I can tell you all about the arroz negro (black rice with lobster, calamari and aioli) I had for our anniversary 2 years ago and loved. Or for that matter, the Dátiles Rellenos (bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with Cabrales cheese) that we had that both of us thought was good but not great. To me, a restaurant that gives you a meal you still talk about 2 years later is the one I want.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank glenn1
Illinois
“Romantic and exciting!”
Reviewed December 7, 2010

This is a very special place with great drinks, exciting, unique food, and a romantic atmosphere. The street view is very pleasant and quaint. The tapas, although not necessarily traditional, reflect the chef's own unique style. Each dish is intelligently, and often creatively conceived. A fun eating adventure!