“unique gem”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
st. louis, mo
“unique gem”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

After seeing them on Diners Drive-in and Dives we went there for a nice lunch on a Saturday, it is a unique place, it is a bar atmosphere on one side and a restaurant atmosphere on the other side. It is steeped in history and has always been a bar since its opening. It is located in the eclectic Central West end just down the street from Forest Park. We had the pretzel with rarebit sauce (cheese) it was awesome would go back just for that, my husband had the smoked turkey sandwich which was also great I had the truffle oil grilled cheese and tomato bisque. It is not your kids grilled cheese, by far the best sandwich I ever ate, I am not a real fan of creamy tomato soup but this was very good especially when you dip you sandwich in it. The average price for lunch is around $10-$12 per entree and $8.00 for the pretzel. I would definately go back.

• Visited January 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Finally some great food in the 314!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went here after seeing Dressel's on DDD and had the pretzel with Welsh rarebit and the Porchetta Louie. Both were outsanding! It's been a struggle to find really good food after moving to St. Louis 3 years ago, and this place is the real deal. Two of us shared the pretzel and Louie, and it was TOO much food! We didn't even have room for the yummy chips that came with the sandwich.

My wife also loved the extensive beer collection, but we will go back for the food. It's very reasonably priced and well worth every single penny. We had a terrible meal at a pricey restaurant a few weeks back and wished we would have just gone to Dressel's. You won't leave hungry.

The atmosphere is comparable to a nice Irish style bar.

Bellingham, Washington
“Decent (but slow) food ...”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had wanted to try Dressel's since discovering its Welsh connection. When it was featured on DD&D, that sealed it for us. My brother and his wife scoped it out a few weeks ago, really liked it, so off we all went on a Thursday night between Christmas and New Years -- brother + wife and daughter, neighbor + wife, and me.

Results were mixed.

The soft pretzel with rarebit sauce appetizer is excellent: crunchy/salty on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and big enough for two to share. The sauce is very good, too: cheesy with that slight tang of beer.

The truffle grilled cheese with tomato soup is outstanding as well. Thick slices of bread, with truffle oil and cheese filling. Really excellent stuff.

The porchetta Louie sandwich got mixed reviews: three of our party opted for that entrée, and all agreed it was entirely TOO spicy. Maybe it was an "off" batch, but the amount of hot spice was really overwhelming, even to those who thrive on hot/spicy foods.

I had the lamb burger with apricot chutney, goat cheese, and bread&butter pickles. It was tasty, but the lamb patty was very small (about 2.5" in diameter), and served on a very large bun.

All sandwiches (except the grilled cheese) were offered with a choice of homemade potato chips, mustard-glazed root vegetables, or salad. Most of us chose the chips -- not bad, but nothing to write home about. The vegetables were not a hit at all.

The biggest problem we had was with service. The wait staff were fine: friendly, knowledgeable, etc. but it seemed that the kitchen was totally overwhelmed. We were on a schedule (attending an event in downtown St. Louis), and we had allowed for 1.25 hrs at the restaurant. We quickly decided wha twe wanted, and placed our order within 5-10 minutes. Our appetizers arrived 30 minutes after placing our order, and the entrees arrived 10 minutes before we had to leave.

I'm hoping Dressel's can figure out how to manage the volume of business created by their exposure on Triple-D. As it stands, they didn't live up to our expectations. The best things we had were the pretzel appetizer and grilled cheese sandwich, and that was good enough to encourage another future visit. But we'll try to choose a time when we're not under any time constraint to do so.

st. louis, mo
“i really wanted to like it...”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We visit and dine in the Central West End of St.Louis frequently, but had yet to try Dressel's. After looking at the menu on line and noting the Diners, Dives and Drive Ins rave, we decided to give it a try. I really wanted to like the food and the experience, but alas I cannot. We arrived at 5 pm on a Saturday, the staff was overwhelmed with those of us waiting for tables and seemed disorganized and put out by us pesky customers. My husband had their version of "fish and chips" and found the fish to be lost in the immense amount of breading. I had the porcheta sandwich and was barely able to eat it. I'm very easy to please, but the flavor was just a mess. The roll was uninspired and I left it on the plate. We both had the "chips" and they were the greasiest things I've ever experienced. The beer was the best thing we had. It was a pricey adventure at just over $50.00. It won't be at the top of our list any time soon.

Indiana
“Friendly, affordable gastropub”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Yes, we went here because it was on TV, but we found our bartender very knowledgeable, the owner very friendly, and the food delicious. We had exactly what Guy Fieri recommended. The pretzel and rarebit was a real treat. I am a beer nerd and was able to try a local beer I'd not had before. Maybe I did not need the grilled cheese after the rarebit, but it was delicious nevertheless. I would go back when in St. Louis. The bar is historic, the neighborhood friendly, the staff was fabulous and we enjoyed the food!

• Visited November 2012