“You will want to eat here every day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mai Lee

Mai Lee
Ranked #110 of 2,881 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
“You will want to eat here every day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

With the extensive menu and the knowledgeable staff recommendations, you can enjoy the best of Vietnamese and Chinese....including Pho.
Try the beef with tomatoes and onions pared with the sautéed sea spinach as an accompaniment. Love love the shrimp toast appetizer. The charred rice dish with seafood is robust with flavor.

• Korean first
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“Great vietnamese restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Barbecued pork sandwich - outstanding
phos soup - vegetable and sausage - very tasty
Service very prompt and courteous by a well spoken waiter.
Unusual jack fruit smoothie that I loved
Unusual rice pudding desert that was very tasty
Prices quite reasonable

Visited August 2014
Pinellas Park, Florida, USA
“Very Good Upscale Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had heard this was the best, and so we wanted to try it out to see. One thing I forgot was that, being known as the best tends to draw a crowd, and we didn't call for reservations. We also had a large party (10), and so ended up waiting about 45 minutes for a table. There is shopping nearby (this restaurant is located in a mall-like area of stores), so several in our party took the time to go visit the local retail outlets.
Once seated, service was friendly and efficient, and there were plenty of choices on the large menu. I chose a chicken dish that I thought might be like one of my favorites back home. Alas, I was mistaken. It was good, but it couldn't match the sauce they build where I live. Several other dishes I was able to sample were also good. For the size of the party our service was fast (I know I mentioned it, but I forgot that for the size of our party they were superb.)
The prices are a bit higher, and it doesn't have the view of the outside city life like Pho Grand (just a parking garage), but it's still very good and recommendable.
I also liked the way they served some of the food, which was more in a Vietnamese home style, where instead of separate bowls of rice (for instance) for each diner, they brought out a large bowl (or two), that you shared, so that someone who wanted more could take more, and someone who didn't need it could take less. The dishes were also served in a manner where you could share and sample each other's choices.
All in all, a very good experience. And again, we were there late, but they didn't push us out or rush us, even though they had started to close down the outdoor seating area.

• Visited July 2014
St Louis
“A St Louis landmark, long may it reign”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I only get to Mai Lee about once a month. Mores the pity because the menu is extensive and everything is terrific. Yes, it gets busy. Mai Lee has been in St Louis for about 30 years and has a huge following. The food is always good and you'll certainly find something you want on the menu. The problem is making the final choice. Frankly, I often get the Vietnamese Dinner for x (2 or 3, depending on party size) and it's always great. ut there are many other great choices. I just wish I made the time to get back there more often to try more things.

Visited August 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Too much lettuce!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is such a popular restaurant that they seem to be resting on their laurels. Spring rolls have shrimp, a piece of cilantro, and lettuce - lots and lots of lettuce. My shrimp dumpling entree had very few shrimp (nicely sized, but few in number), thicker dough than in other excellent area Vietnamese restaurants, a little cucumber, cilantro that you have to strip from the stem, and half a plate of lettuce. Tasty sauce made it a good meal, but the proportion was way out of line. My friends were happy with their pho and stir fry combo, so perhaps you just need to order something that can't involve lettuce! Reservations are accepted for large groups and the kitchen works hard to get your meal out, even if a group of 10 is ahead of you.

• Visited August 2014