“Big portions, but...”
Review of Zia's Restaurant

Zia's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Zia's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 2,980 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Hill
Description: Family owned St. Louis Italian restaurant on "The HIll"
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Located on "the Hill" in St. Louis, a place with 28 Italian restaurants, we chose here to eat lunch. It was okay. I liked that you could order prosecco by the glass (Italian sparkling wine) and the service was excellent. The food, however, was just okay and quite pricey. The dinner salad wS VERY cheesy-/lots of mozzarella. As one not dieting but careful about my diet, I would have preferred less cheese. I split a pasta entree--we ordered a vegetarian pasta, but it had a ton of gray sausage slices on it when it arrived. My husband's steak was also very gray and rather blah. When I think Italian steak I think of bold, fresh flavors--this totally lacked that. My teenager had chicken parm sandwich--huge but unexceptional. Would I go back? No. It wasn't awful but merely edible wouldn't bring me back--huge portions or not.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Any time we are in St. Louis and it's meal time, we don't go anywhere else other than Zia's. We were recently there at lunch time and got the small chef salad. It is enough for a lunch; however, they do offer a large chef salad for the hungrier people. It is chocked full of ham, olives, and artichoke hearts. The salad dressing is delicious. In the past we have had sandwiches and pasta dishes -- all delicious. The neighborhood is quaint. Parking can be a challenge but just keep driving around for a space; it is worth it.

1  Thank WSP215
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Knowing St. Louis traffic and neighborhood on street parking, we went for a great Saturday lunch. The Zia's salad was huge and tasty...a little sweet for my taste but much better than typical restaurant vinegary salads. The salsiccia is a not too spicy sausage much better than you could get in any supermarket. Everything tasted fresh, and the service in this full restaurant was was very attentive. Be sure to shop down the street for homemade sausages at Volpi, and at Missouri bakery for Italian sweets!

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

A year ago my friend had a really good experience at this restaurant so we headed there straight after arriving in St Louis, but he and I were embarrassed by the food and service.
I can put up with over-priced food and pretentious ambiance so long as the food is satisfactory.

The pasta carbonara was not carbonara but a cheesy sauce.
My friend's wife had to send her veal back, and my chicken special had no taste and was served in a watery sauce that washed around the plate. The pasta side dish tasted like Ragu, I couldn't eat it. After this we passed on dessert, and moved on to coffee, but the cappuccino was weak and insubstantial.

The server was attentive and tried hard but I got the impression that he was under-trained. Anyway, the problem is in the kitchen.

I would not dream of going there again. The one consolation was that the Sauvignon Blanc was excellent and reasonably priced.

2  Thank CB500F
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Zia's is located in an Italian neighborhood and is one of the best. The food is very good and priced very reasonable. A large salad is included with your entree. The salad is fantastic and is a meal in its self. We go here before we go to the Fox theater. My advice is to go before 6pm because they do not take reservations and it gets packed. We waited for an hour and a half once - never again. We only go during the week before 6.

One other thing is that there is no parking lot, you have to park on the streeet. Like I said it is in a neighborhood so you may have to drive around awhile and park.