“Interesing array”
Review of Gringo restaurant St.Louis - CLOSED

Gringo restaurant St.Louis
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I am not sure why there are so many negative reviews... but if you go for one item, and one item only, you won't be disappointed. GET THE BRISKET ENCHILADA. The tenderness of the brisket with the play of flavors make this an outstanding dish. I wish I could say the same thing about the variety of tacos I got, but as other reviewers have said, the flavor profiles were flat. Can't be homemade guacamole. The churros I'd pass on, but the homemade popsicles I would go for!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

I heard that this is owned by the same people who opened Pi (one of the best pizza places here in st louis). Well, now they have done it again with mexican food. Outstanding margaritas. One of us had a brisket enchilada with delicious brisket. I had the chicken chimichanga. It was equally great. Do not miss this place!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Gringo...i have tried you so many times. Great 'look', and high expectations, but the food is flat. Nothing really impresses me. "So so" service and food to match.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Right across from the greatest independent bookstore in St Louis, Left Bank Books, is this new restaurant, Gringo. Situated in the Central West End with many other restaurant choices Gringo offers an interesting menu. The watermelon gazpacho carried some heat that could be escalated by, adding a dried pepper which contained fire! My entree slider was heavy on the potato and light on the egg. But a slider at a Mexican restaurant is worth a try! I loved that a lot of the beers were brewed for Gringo by Schlafly brewing. Definitely worth a second look.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

There have already been a load of reviews already and the place just opened but I wanted to add a few notes after we had dinner here May 2013 to the mix. First of all to address some of the negative reviews, we were seated right away and had excellent service. One note, if you are there for the well priced happy hour, tell the greeter this as you can only get the happy hour prices if you sit in a special section, yes, I thought this odd too. We had 5 tacos, the best was the pork and the beef taco also tops, the fish taco in the view of someone raised on the ocean was a little too "fishy" tasting and smelling and was past if serve by date. (perhaps a one time deal) The least interesting was the Gingo taco. I should also mention the street corn side was really terrific and not to be missed, really, it was great. The chips excellent and the guacamole was also good as well. In the drink department, Rosemary had an Aqua Fresca and she really loved that. All in all, we will no doubt be back. The only negative is the music is very loud, you pretty much have to yell across the table to have a conversation. This seems to be a new trend, make the music so obnoxious you eat and leave faster, perhaps, I have no evidence to support this, but it is a loud place.