“Can't wait to go back!”
Review of Mission Taco Joint

Mission Taco Joint
Ranked #35 of 2,946 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar, Street Food
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Servin' up Mexi-Cali street food, craft cocktails and local beer in the Delmar Loop.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Found a new place to go when I visit STL!

I loved everything I ordered here. Well, I didn't love the crab taquitos, but they were "good." The carne asada fries alone would make me come back.

I got the sweet potato & chorizo and the beef brisket birria tacos. Loved the contents of the taco and sauces.

The street corn "off the cob" was delicious too!

We ended with churros and those simply tasted like churros, nothing out of the ordinary. I'd probably skip them next time and have another app or taco!

Our service was excellent. The price could be better...it felt like CA prices.

Can't wait to go back next time and try some other dishes!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a relatively new restaurant, just rated by the Post-Dispatch as being one of the best new restaurants in town (#6). Its location is perfect, in the popular Delmar Loop area of University City. This is a great area for walking, window-shopping, and (especially) eating! There are many excellent dining options here, but this might be the very best (and that is saying a lot). The place is a crowded restaurant with a lively bar scene. The cuisine is casual Mexican, sandwiches, burritos, and (obviously!) tacos. Our group has 5 people, presenting 3 generations, age 24-85. We all loved this place! This place definitely specializes in comfort food (though veggie options are available, they often feature cheese). The tacos were excellent, though small. They only cost 2.75-4 per taco, so be sure to get 2 or more! The fish tacos were very good. Burritos are quite large (I loved the South Beach burrito). The mushroom appetizer was the runaway favorite at my table, absolutely delicious! Churros for dessert were very nice, though they came to our table VERY hot. Prices are quite reasonable, and service was very good. In sum, with great location, great atmosphere, great food, nice prices, and good staff, what's not to like? Try it and I do not think you will be disappointed.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Had lunch, which included appetizers and tacos. There is a good variety of both, including some vegetarian choices. The guacamole was excellent, but was done an injustice by being served with bland mass-produced tortilla chips. The chef is clearly comfortable bringing out big flavors in the meat preparations used with the tacos. As some other reviews have noted, double corn tortillas for the tacos would be more traditional and structurally sound (blow-pits after two bites). Good selection of both bottled and draft beers and well made cocktails.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

While visiting our son and family for Christmas, they took us out to this unique restaurant near their home. My wife and I lived a short time in Mexico City and while the dishes have been toned down for North American palates all the flavors we experienced there were in the dishes. I enjoyed the Cowboy Burrito and Street Corn dishes and tasted my wife's Chicken Taquito, all great dishes. I highly recommend this place and our server Andrew did a great job with suggestions and fast service. Y Saludos a todos los hombres concineros en la cocina preparando los platos buenos y ricos. (Translation: Shout out to the men cooking in the kitchen for preparaing plates of food rich and good.)

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Went there after the Balloon Fest and were able to be seated pretty quickly. We had the lobster tacos, which were awesome. The lobster was breaded - which I didn't expect, but the tacos were very good. The atmosphere is a bit noisy and crowded, so not a romantic quiet place. Still quite fun.