“Great BBQ and sides”

Sugarfire Smoke House
Ranked #11 of 2,901 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Voted BEST BBQ in St. Louis 2015 Voted BEST BBQ in St. Louis 2014 Voted BEST NEW RESTAURANT 2013 Voted BEST BURGER 2013 Top 5 in the 100 Best Restaurants in St. Louis 2015 1st Place Memphis in May World Championships (seafood) 3rd Place Memphis in May World Championship (chicken) 8th Place Memphis in May World Championship (exotic) Come try some of St. Louis' best barbecue...sooner rather than later. Open seven days a week 11:00AM till the meat runs out.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Great BBQ and sides”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was a bit hesitant as this is in a strip mall. but the aroma drew us in. Again we were concerned when there was a large line, but did not appear to be much seating. Fortunately, the people move in and out pretty regularly so it was not an issue.

I went for a two meat combo with brisket and pulled port. Great choice. Both are smoked beautifully. But the sides are also awesome. I ordered the "rack and cheese" - super!

Sauces were not the best, but with the great taste of the meat, it was not even worth a demerit.

Looking forward to my next trip to St Louis,

• Visited June 2014
Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Yes! Glad to know we snagged another one with our delicious smells! Thanks a ton for coming by, and for taking the time to write up this great review for us. I'm really glad you enjoyed yourself so much, and look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in town.

Stay cool,

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
“When the sides are as good as the main course, it is a great BBQ joint!”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We wanted to go to Bogarts, but there was over an hour wait to just get into the restaurant. We then tried Pappy's...long line too. We decided to try Sugarfire and the time in line was only 15 minutes. I have eaten at Pappy's numerous times, Bandanas, and a few other BBQ places in St. Louis. None impressed like Sugarfire. I ordered a full rack of ribs with mac 'n cheese and brisket chili as my sides and also locally produced soda with real cane sugar (good stuff). It was truly a full rack of ribs not just 8 bones like some restaurants. The ribs did not need sauce they were so good. Our 3 year old son even ate the ribs. He does not eat the one I make at home :( The sides, equally delicious. I have eaten at many BBQ joints, and rarely are the sides any good. Not the case here.
My wife order the brisket cheesesteak. Wow was that good. The service was great and expedient, which is probably why the wait was not ridiculous. Before we leave St. Louis, we are going back to eat here on last time.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Andrew S
Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Glad to hear you finally made it out to give us a try, Andrew! Thanks for your awesome compliments. We're honored to have won the favor of your 3-year-old! It means a lot to us that you took the time to share this, and to come and see us twice. We'd welcome you and your family back anytime! Come pay us another visit the next time you're in town.

All the best,
Saint Louis, Missouri
“amazing bbq”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

St. Louis has tons of bbq restaurants but this one is amazing and truly unique. While there is a line, it moves fast. We were ordering on the fourth of July in less than 30 minutes (compare to pappy's 2+ hours). The big muddy was per my husband and son fabulous and managed to fill up a teenage boy! The ribs were tender and flavorful and the sauces great (try the coffee and the white ones). Also, the staff was incredibly helpful. I misunderstood my son's order and the staff fixed MY mistake without charge or fuss (or making me stand in the line again).

• Visited July 2014
Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thanks for joining us for the Fourth! Glad to hear you made it in and out in record time, and with full bellies! We're happy to have you, and happy to accommodate. Come back and see us again sometime! We'd be glad to see you and your family here anytime.

Cheers,
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
“Good, not great. ”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Big muddy was delicious! Hush puppies sounded fantastic, but were dry and hard. The home cut fries were worth the calories and the Mac and cheese got a positive response from my husband.
The only thing I thought... was it could be laid out to make getting drinks, cutlery and placing your order in a more user friendly manner. It was awkward with small children to get everyone's drinks over to the other counter to place your order with no trays until they put your food straight down on brown paper. Our orders were mixed up with someone else and no numbering system to track where the orders went. A bit disorganized. Large crowd was there and very little seating.
Glad we tried it but not feeling I need to go back.

Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thanks for your compliments! And for your pointed feedback! From your description here, I can understand how the ordering process was confusing and cumbersome for you and your family. It sounds like things may have been really hectic the day you came in (Fourth of July?), but we normally have this whole thing down to a T. If you came back now, I'm confident we'd be able to impress you with a smoothly flowing ordering system. I hope you'd be open to coming back to eat with us again sometime! We'd be grateful for the chance to improve your impression of us.

All the best,
Jenks, Oklahoma
“"It was Okay"”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Be prepared for a small wait in line. Didn't take that long and folks had left us plenty of table choices by the time we got our order. Helpful young lady that took and placed your order. I had asked a young man while standing inline what he'd recommend. "Big Muddy" was his response. Its like 8oz of sliced brisket sitting atop a sliced sausage link, smothered with white sauce, lettuce, pickles and bbq sauce. I'd rather have had the 8 oz. of brisket beside it self and not put all the other stuff on it. Brisket was very thick, juicy and had a good flavour. But it lacked a smokey taste I was looking for. But it was good. Side order of BBQ beans were too sweet and wasn't that good. Son in law had a Crackle Jack Salad! He said it was "fun" to eat. Tasty but the Crackle Jacks were impossible to eat with a fork. It was OK, but wouldn't get it again. He also had a small rack of ribs which was tender while sticking to bone. Just not enough smoke being used on most items.
Potatoes salad was okay, lacked seasoning. Pulled pork was okay for being a bit dry. Mac & Cheese was meal of the day for 2 yr old grand daughter. Two bites and she's done. Then she ait the pasta salad of her mom's.
Would I go back, Heck ya I would. If nothing else gets you into the Sugar Fire joint, the SMOKED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE'S will!!!!! Crisopy on the outside while chewy in the middle. Next to Brisket, its the best thing in the house! DELICIOUS....

• Visited June 2014
Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thanks for the feedback, Jenkstrojanfan. I'm glad you and your family had the chance to join us for a meal recently, and I appreciate you taking the time to find us here on TA to share your thoughts. We're always looking for opportunities to improve and your thoughts regarding the food will help us do that. If your travels bring you back to Olivette in the future, I hope you'll stop by and say hello!

Best,