“Great BBQ, Amazing Sides”

Sugarfire Smoke House
Ranked #11 of 2,980 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Voted BEST BBQ in St. Louis 2015 Voted BEST BBQ in St. Louis 2014 Voted BEST NEW RESTAURANT 2013 Voted BEST BURGER 2013 Top 5 in the 100 Best Restaurants in St. Louis 2015 1st Place Memphis in May World Championships (seafood) 3rd Place Memphis in May World Championship (chicken) 8th Place Memphis in May World Championship (exotic) Come try some of St. Louis' best barbecue...sooner rather than later. Open seven days a week 11:00AM till the meat runs out.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Here's my advice, in chronological cafeteria order. First, get the Meat Daddy. It is a huge sampling of all their smoked meats. It feeds me and two teenage boys! Second, read the butcher paper for the most amazing sides you have ever had in any restaurant, not just a BBQ joint. The soup/chili/stew of the day never disappoints. And if none of the sides grab you get the fries--fresh potatoes that have never seen a freezer, fried deeply golden, tossed in just salt. These are what all potatoes want to be. Third, get a dessert. The "sugar" part of their name is because their co-owner is a professional baker who "throws together" desserts mere mortals only dream of making. But your adventure does not end after you leave the line. Get to know your dining neighbors because fourth--get adventurous and try several sauces! They have new sauces all the time depending on the seasons and their whims. What fun! Yes, the atmosphere is a bunch of shared tables and it is a cafeteria line. But you get to see the amazing meat being served, and smell the amazing aroma. Yes, you wait 20 minutes in line, but at other places you wait that long for a table and/or even longer for your food! Here at the end of the line you get your food--and you can start picking off those fries or tasty end morsels! These guys are chefs (and a baker) and they prove it every night!

Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Wow, thanks so much, Beth! We've worked hard to provide our customers with food they'll enjoy, so I can't wait to pass this along to our team. See you next time!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

When I looked at the website, I thought I had found the place. The web site had me thinking I was going to have some of the best BBQ ever. When I got there, there was a small line. The Problem. The food put on my tray, was cold. Then it took way too long to get the order rang up. By the time I got the first bite, it was too cold.

The person who job it was to give the sides just walks away. I think he went out for a smoke. We are waiting for the sides. The food gets even colder. This is a case where they had very good BBQ, but blew it in execution. I would say just ok.

Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that our execution wasn't there, Michael. Sounds like you didn't get our best, and I hope you will accept my apology! This is far from a typical customer experience, so I also hope you'll be back to give us another shot. I know we have what it takes.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. Take care.

Stay hungry,

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Nothing fancy, just good food...but that is what BBQ is!! You order at a counter, and get a large metal tray lined with kraft paper. Meat is placed on the tray, and the sides are put in little paper or plastic containers. I had the brisket and my husband had ribs. Mine was fork tender. Excellent flavor. And the sides were huge portions! Not the everyday run of the mill sides either. They did have potato salad and coleslaw, red beans and rice, french fries, a gourmet mac and cheese, but we had brisket chili, a blend of sweet potatoes and fresh green beans that were delicious--actually enough for 2 people, and the baked beans were a blend of black and pinto seasoned well. A variety of pies were offered for dessert. We tried a piece of apple. It was good too, but the BBQ and sides are the stars here! The dining room is small and always seemed busy. They do have outdoor seating, but the weather is still too cold to use the area. Also does a brisk take out business.

Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thanks so much! I'm glad you've enjoyed our BBQ and everything we have to offer. We've worked hard to serve up high-quality food for you to enjoy, so I can't wait to share this with our team. See you next time!

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My friends raved about Sugarfire enough that I finally went to check them out. The line of eager diners out the door was a bit intimidating, but also a testament to the great food inside. Sugarfire has the usual BBQ options, but adds exquisite treats such as a smoked brisket cheesesteak and a dizzying array of innovative daily specials like au gratin potatoes with blue cheese and brisket. There are boutique sodas, "adult" milkshakes with your favorite libation, and desserts to die for. Yes, it's a bit of a zoo due to the huge customer volume they do, and the help, while friendly, doesn't really have time interact with customers much, but that's a small price to pay for the awesome food. I used to think my local franchised BBQ place was pretty good. Since sampling Sugarfire, my standards have risen considerably. Run, don't walk, to Sugarfire, and come hungry. You can thank me later, go get some brisket!

Mike J, Owner at Sugarfire Smoke House, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thanks so much! I'm glad you finally decided to give us a shot and enjoyed everything we had to offer. Knowing that we raised the bar makes my day! Hopefully you'll run back to see us again soon. We should be open out by you in Winghaven in early may, too!!

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

One of the best meals I have had in all of my travels! No fuss kind of place with good food at, IMHO, very reasonable prices. I had the Big Muddy and would order it again without thinking twice! DH had the Facemelter (special for the night), and was also impressed! Smoked cookie was also great. Crowded for a Monday night, but we did not have to wait too long! Worth it!

Whoa, thanks for the awesome review! I'm thrilled to hear how happy you were with our food. We hope to have you back for another Big Muddy again soon!

Stay hungry,