“The basic needs to have a comfortable stay”

Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Louis
Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This hostel is nowhere near like some of the hostels I have stayed in, in terms of modern facilities etc but I still enjoyed my time. It does have the basic facilities to get you through the week.

The people who were staying there at the time were very nice and the guy next door, Walter is an incredibly nice and helpful person. It's also in a great location, close to bars and restaurants and a nice little super market. The lack of Wi Fi might be a put off for people looking to use it in the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jamiealexander82
There are newer reviews for Huckleberry Finn Youth Hostel

Reviewed July 17, 2012

The bus driver told me this place was closed, and from the outside it looks like it. You have to go through the side alley and rap on the door upstairs to get the manager to come down.

Now, I'm pretty understanding when it comes to hostels. I've stayed in ones that didn't have a roof or a legitimate bathroom. I've stayed in ones with free pancake breakfast and a group of young people that live at the hostel and tend to it and make it a fun atmosphere.

This place is just, well forgotten. It is mid July and I am the only one in the female dorm, which hosts 8 or so people. The building is nice and historic and I loved that about. I could just imagine it humming with travelers coming in and out when it first opened 35 years ago. The hostel backs up to a charming brick alley way that leads to a really gorgeous neighborhood FULL of restaurants and bars with outdoor patios. It's quiet, and reminds me of a side street in Brooklyn and a hidden alley in London. It took 5 minutes to get here on the number 73 bus from the greyhound station.

First thing about the dorm - it smells like mildew. The beds all had sheets on them but it looks like they haven't been changed in months (or seasons) and some had ceiling dust on them. Old wood floors, carpets from god knows when, and wooden saloon-style doors (like in the old cowboy movies) in the bathroom. The showers weren't disgusting, but they need to be cleaned. The dorm is old-fashioned hostel style (large, no small rooms) and the hot water takes a sec to heat up.

The screen door to the kitchen (separate) is always open. Kitchen too needs some work, but there is a dining area/lounge that feels like an old-world library. Think leather couches, a piano, travel books, maps, globes, etc. . was a nice surprise and added some character.

I think, as backpackers we've become a little spoiled with our free coffee, pancakes, oatmeal, wifi, group events, televisions, movie theaters, etc. for $25. If the owners took some time to put a little TLC into this old, brick building it would be a wonderful place to stay. Now, it's just an OK place to bunk for the night or two in a great area - but it has such potential! They have another place in Cape Cod and I'm curious if they put all their energy into that. I really hope someone invests in this hostel and brings it back to life.

Room Tip: The front room with the AC is a little cooler in the summer (for female dorm).
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank amberenergy84
Reviewed July 10, 2012

In my opinion this is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in my whole life. It was dirty, old, smelly, weird...well, there are no other hostels in St. Louis...
I just couldn't understand how authorities keep that place open, seriously, I haven't seen something like that even in third world countries.
This is just my opinion, go there and figure yours out if you want to.

Room Tip: Don't want to influence other people's decisions, but...think twice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank advise_low
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I am on the warpath to make sure this hostel is either closed down or remodeled. It has a lot of potential to be a great place. Its in a great building and great location, but it just needs to be remodeled. The staff is not that great, but it is tolerable. I would not recomend it.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Jimmy J
Reviewed April 24, 2011

If I was a 22-year-old traveling student again, this place would have been great - as it would fit my low-budget, romantic historic traveling bugg. But I was a 33-year-old lawyer driving on Route 66 from Chicago to L.A. when I stayed here, and it was very mediocre.

I'll give two good reasons to stay here: the price, and the location. You're not going to get a hotel room for $25/night, and you can't ask for a better neighborhood in St. Louis. The Soulard District is a charming, 18th Century French neighborhood (the word "soulard" is French for "drunk") with beautiful old, red-brick buildings, narrow streets of cobblestone, some wonderful bars, the Anneheuser-Busch Brewery a few blocks away and the second largest Mardi Gras Celebration in the country after New Orleans. And besides, the hostel is located in a collection of 18th Century red brick buildings that add a real historic charm.

But here's the downside. The owner was kind of a clueless hippie, and the office was closed when I came to check in. The dorm rooms are shared with other folks. Which may be young traveling, back-packing European kids - but it could also include old guys who are borderline homeless and can't afford a hotel room. The old man in my room was harmless and sweet, but I could see why it would be a discomfort to others. The showers and bathrooms are a bit dirty, but still sanitary. If it's any comfort, the hostel has lockers where you can store your valuables. So I did put my laptop in there before going to bed.

What I'm saying is, know what you're getting yourself into. You're not paying for a hotel room - you're staying in a hostel. If you want to pay $25 for a night in the Soulard district, then go for it ... just know that it won't be the nicest place you've ever stayed at.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank paulhogarth
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I should've listened to my gut when I called to book a room. The owner really didn't have much to say when I requested my room. When I asked how to secure it he told me to just send him an email. He didn't specify what information he needed or how he takes payment. So without the details I forgot to tell him which day I was arriving. I arrived in St. Louis and called to confirm which is when he decided to tell me he was out of town and check in time was 6:00PM. I arrived at 1PM and I had a bunch of luggage. He tells me to go ahead and go to the hostel and ask for Walter. I paid $45 for a taxi from the airport and arrive at the dirty disgusting hostel. The office door was locked so I started wandering around looking for somebody who could help me. A young man told me Walter wasn't around and I would have to wait until 6PM, but I could wait in the kitchen. Waiting 4 hours for somebody to check me in was not a desirable option. I called the owner and he couldn't help me since he was out of town. I was really upset and had no desire to give them my $40 so I went somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank T0nic72
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The hostel is located in an older part of town, in a neighborhood that's a mix of residential and commercial. I got the impression it's a fairly safe neighborhood. Two different buses (73 and 8) make frequent runs by the hostel from early morning to around midnight; bus stop is about 50 yards up the street. An excellent Gyro place is nearby, as are a couple of bars which also serve food. One small market is several blocks up the street and a Jack in the Box is a couple of streets over.

I thought the hostel was very clean, and the management was friendly & helpful. Kitchen is well equiped but no TVs are available. The one glaring drawback is the mattresses: they are way too soft & saggy, and their covers are falling apart. In short, they're just plain worn out and in bad need of replacement. I nevertheless managed a good night's sleep and will gladly stay there again on my next trip through St.L......hopefully on a brand new mattress.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo