“Best Ever Bed and Breakfast”

Lodge at Grant's Trail by Orlando's
Ranked #8 of 26 Saint Louis B&B and Inns
Illinois City, Illinois
“Best Ever Bed and Breakfast”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

What a Bed and Breakfast. The owners should be very proud of their establishment. We were driving to St. Louis for a quick over night trip when we noticed this log cabin bed and breakfast right off of Route 55. Calling ahead to see if they had any rooms were available, Melissa answered the phone with a very business like tone. I told her I had quickly googled the bed and breakfast and wandered if any rooms were available for this evening. I told her I was interested in the Alaska room. She said it was available. I quickly responded I would like to book. She asked if I would be arriving before five as it was already after three. I assured her we would arrive before five.. We arrived to be greeted by Melissa and promptly showed to our nice clean and well decorated Alaska room. She asked if we would prefer wine or even a beer to go with our welcome cheese and cracker tray and sweet dream chocolate chip cookies. She explained the bed and breakfast to us and left us to enjoy the complex. We enjoyed the outdoor areas as well. Next morning we were again greeted by Melissa as she asked us what we would like for breakfast. Breakfast very good and cooked to order.. Thanks for a wonderful overnight stay. We are sure we will be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babslibbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Olney, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I wanted to try something other than the basic "hotel stay" while we were in St. Louis and I booked this place. The cabin itself is beautiful, the rooms are clean and decorated so nicely. The staff makes you feel right at home, with a cheese and wine plate when you arrive (we thought a very cute touch) and while the breakfast was good the staff was even better in the morning. We will be staying here again and I would recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MilitaryMommyof5
Missouri
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Nothing says "Ahhhhh, relaxing," like a dip in a two-person jacuzzi tub. Both the Mary Lincoln and Washington rooms offer this feature, but we chose the Mary Lincoln for its rich colors and decor. The room also boasts a comfortable king sized bed, a long balcony, and a fireplace. It's the perfect couple's suite. The only way I'd improve on the experience would be to add body wash for the shower and some bubbles for the tub!

Room Tip: For the ultimate in lush romance, choose the Mary Lincoln Suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Caledonia, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a beautiful log lodge with very interesting "Lodge" decor, tall ceilings and wall of windows. We stayed in the Frontier room which has a door out to a balcony. We were served a wonderful breakfast with so much food we couldn't possibly eat it all. The staff were warm and friendly. We will certainly stay again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a perfect place for an event or wedding where they use the entire venue. Those of us guests who are NOT the part of an event feel banished to our room to deal with party noise until done. No bathroom doors or storage and closets,. The most frustrating was the absence of staff and access to coffee or microwave or anything unless it was breakfast time (late). The breakfast we did have was very good and the morning server very personable and accommodating (Clark). Loved being able to walk on the trail. Recommend for event, not for overnight stays unless part of event.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I stop in St. Louis on our way home from Arkansas and sepnt one night at the Lodge at Grant's Trail. It looks just like a lodge you'd find in the woods but is actually right next to I55. All of the rooms are themed. We stayed in the Alaska room. The fox skin complete with its head that was hanging over the headboard freaked me out a little so my husband removed it for the night. The room was very comfortable and the breakfast was fantastic. It's just a couple of miles from Grant's Farm. We will definately go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed in the Safari Room for two days for a family event held at the lodge. The building and the common areas are wonderful. The room was frustrating. I don't mind themed rooms; every room in the place is themed. However, in my room, every flat surface was covered with Tchotchkes. There was no place in the room for the guest's things. The bathroom only had a curtain, not a door.

On the plus side, the lodge is very near one end of Grant's Trail. It is easy to take a walk or run while staying at the lodge.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple