“Great Place to Stay”

Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch
Ranked #8 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We just returned from staying four nights in St. Louis at the Drury . I have to say we were impressed. While driving to St. Louis, we contemplated staying at the Westin. Boy, am I glad that we didn't switch.

We were warmly greated when we checked in. The check in was extremely fast. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a partial arch view. I was concerned because we were right above some air conditioning units from a building right next door and the highway was extremely close, but the room was extremely quiet.

The breakfast was, as another guest said, like Groundhog Day; the same breakfast every day. But what can you expect when it's included in the price? The free beverages (soda and alcohol) and popcorn, nachos and veggie platter were a very big plus. With two children (ages 8 and 10) both the breakfast and evening snacks and drinks really saved us a bundle!

The restaurants at this hotel are terrific. The kids loved Max & Ermas and wanted to eat dinner there every evening. Having two restaurants right in the hotels is a major plus, especially since there's not much in the immediate vicinity and once night falls, there's not much to do.

The hotel is extremely convenient to everything - the Arch, Busch Stadium, Edward Jones Dome, the home to the St. Louis Blues, and major highways. We would highly recommend staying at the Drury in St. Louis!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank FamilyofFour
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed August 6, 2008

We were recently in town for a conference and booked the drury plaza after reading the responses on this site. I have to say it was really nice having the 3 drinks in plastic cups every night. The breakfast was also lovely, after staying for 7 nights I did feel a little like that movie "Ground Hog Day," because the choices were the same everyday. It was free, hot, and good so I can't complain. I think that this hotel gets the best rating because more people frequent it because of the location to the ball field. It is close. So are the Millenium and the Westin. So, I think you'll see most reviews for them - upping the possibility to make the top 5 or not. I did also visit the Renaissance hotel - that hotel was beautiful! The rooms at the Drury were ok. I can't really complain about anything - the rooms didn't make you feel like you were in an upscale hotel. But, with the price, you aren't paying for one are you? The lobby area where you have the drinks and breakfast was the most impressive part of this hotel. The front desk employees were very nice, but the people who clean up the breakfast and snack time were a little cranky. All in all I would say it was a good place to stay in a city that seems to be coming back from a slump (there are a lot of uninhabited buildings including the mall which is vacant). If you want to eat at some nice places, I would say head to the convention center and turn west. All the good places are there. If you are staying for a convention that involves the convention center, then I would stay by the convention center (aka The Renaissance)- the area that you have to walk through to get there if you stay at the drury is usually pretty questionable, especially on the weekend when nobody is on the street. We ate at the Lucas Park Grille (on the side of town that I would stay if I was to go back) - it was wonderful, and of course Tony's was great as well. The strangest thing about this city, was that in the downtown area there were no pharmacies or drug stores, no McDonalds or Burger King. When I needed nail polish remover I was told to go to Macy's.......

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Traveleraplenty
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We booked our stay on Hotwire for a great price. Close proximity to Arch (across the street) and Busch Stadium ( 1-2 short blocks). Everything was great. Lamora at the front desk set up a cab for us to go to dinner and her smile was appreciated. The cab was waiting for us when we arrived downstairs. Parking is on the expensive side ($18), but garage is inside and secure. Breakfast the next day was great, but crowded. The line did move pretty fast and we found a table without a problem. This was our first attempt at a Drury owned hotel, but will not be my last. Great Job!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rchs20
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We just returned from a four day/three night weekend in St. Louis and stayed at the Drury Plaza for the first time. The location downtown was perfect for walking to the Arch, Busch Stadium, and the Landing. They do charge $15/night for parking, but considering what you would pay in other garages/lots each time you had to park or to try to find street parking, it was still worth it.

The hotel and rooms were very clean, and the staff was very friendly. We definitely enjoyed the "extras." There was a breakfast buffet every morning, with fruit, cereal, scrambled eggs, pancakes, biscuits/gravy, sausage, danishes, bagels, toast, yogurt, and more. They also have a "happy hour" each night from 5:30-7:00 where over 21 can each have 3 drinks per night. The kids were able to have soda and popcorn. Our 15 yr. old was particularly happy that there were two computers with internet access available so he could go online and check his "MySpace."

The pool, although not huge, was nice, as were the two hot tubs. There was also an exercise room with a few treadmills and ellipticals.

Our last night, we ate at "Max & Erma's," one of the restaurants in the hotel. The food was good and the prices were reasonable. There wasn't a huge entree selection, but the sandwiches were good.

We would definitely stay here again. I personally rely on other traveler's reviews, which is how we found the hotel, and felt like we should share our great experience, too.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank MBFLuv2Trav2
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I was extremely impressed by the Drury Plaza. We had a king suite with a great view of the Arch towering above The Old Cathedral from our bedroom window. The rooms were spacious with a nice marble bathroom. The furniture was a little faded but it was still a nice room. Not the Ritz but sufficient. We have 2 young girls 7 and 2. It was hard to keep them out of the indoor pool. The pool area was nice with 2 jacuzzis. The breakfast was great every morning. They had several cereals, bannanas, apples, yogurt, muffins, pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, toast, bagels, etc... In the evening from 5:30 - 7:00 you get 3 free cocktails of your choice. My wife is pregnant therefore I got 6 drinks and they will even give you 3 at a time if you want to take them back to the room. We ate at both restaurants in the hotel. Carmine's was ok. Way over priced in my opinion but you pay for the atmosphere. Max & Erma's was excellent in my book. the ribs were some of the best fall off the bone ribs I have eaten. The only real complaint towards the hotel was the extra $15 a day for parking. Overall I give this hotel an A grade. Very close walk to Busch Stadium. We will for sure stay there again if we go back to St. Louis.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank bahouse3
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This was my first time in St Louis, and I couldn't have found a better hotel. I arrived early so stored my bags and went off to see and go to the top of the Gateway Arch. Upon my return, Rebecca at reception made my day by giving me a room overlooking the Arch. The room itself was spacious, very clean and nicely furnished. What made me go wow was in the evenings, the hotel puts on complimentary drinks and nibbles between 5-7pm. They back this up with great complimentary breakfasts in the mornings. The hotel is well located to explore the waterfront, as well as downtown and Busch stadium. I will definitely stay here again, and will look out for other Drury hotels on my travels.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank craigh
Reviewed July 13, 2008

The Drury Plaza ranks this high for a good reason. It offers location, comfort and 4 star quality.
An easy walk to both the Gateway Arch and Busch Stadium, this hotel is a great deal.
The room isn't huge, but has everything a Hilton or Marriott would offer, and then some. The bathroom is decent size, and the minfridge is great too. Along with the breakfast, three free drinks in the evening, and the free 60 minutes long distance(15 mins to Canada), it is well worth staying at.
Parking is right across the corner, and for $12.00 is a bargain for downtown parking. You can unload in front of the hotel, and there was no problem with parking there for the 20-30 minutes to settle in. Then with the pass they issue, it takes 2-3 minutes to park. All staff I met were friendly and helpful.
Nice views of the Arch and Busch, takes 5 minutes to walk to either. Will be my first choice in downtown area next time. If you are a regular to Hilton or Marriott, give this a try, it was an excellent alternative.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo