“THE place to stay in St. Louis”

Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Nashville, Tennessee
“THE place to stay in St. Louis”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel every time that we have been in St. Louis. Thought we would have to try a different one the last trip to St. Louis and even booked it. Luckily, we were able to get a room last minute and had no problem paying a cancellation fee at the other place to get the booking at the Drury Plaza. Took another couple with us on this trip and it took about 2 seconds for them to understand why this is where we always stay.

Room Tip: Have had no problems with any room at this hotel. Stayed in a corner room last time and loved it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TripNav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Czech first
Illinois
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was our 2nd stay in 13 months. Wonderful hotel-great staff, great location, great amenities. Arrived after 10 p.m. but check in was quick and easy and we were even upgraded to an arch view room. Beautiful lobby, great breakfast, and love the "fast break" aka "Happy Hour". Comfy beds, clean room and common areas. Really top notch and would recommend even to picky travelers. My daughter is going to be attending SLU beginning next fall and I won't look any further than the Drury properties for booking our future stays.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The location was great and near the stadium. We called ahead to have parking arranged so we knew where to park since it was very busy downtown for opening day. The front desk staff Cory was rude and told us they had no parking available at the hotel. We thought we should check an there were five spaces as soon as we entered. Everything other than this first encounter went well

• Stayed April 2013
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor! It is through input from our guests that we have the opportunity to review, evaluate and improve our product and services.

We want to always exceed our guests' expectation. I am so sorry that we did not succeed during your stay in providing that experience. During any stay, please contact our guest services agent or ask for a manager immediately upon encountering any situation that does not meet your expectation. We want our guests to be met by well trained, friendly and responsive team members during every aspect of their preparation and stay. I apologize that our front desk agent did not discuss your request in such a manner that you knew you were the priority.

We electronically tally the number of cars we have authorized to park in our garage & maintain the appropriate number in that manner. We understand that the appearance of "having space" in our garage at any given time is somewhat misleading in that many spaces are sold for which the vehicles are not currently in the garage. However, when those vehicles return, the garage will be full.

Thanks again for giving us the opportunity to address and correct the situation you encountered as our guest. We appreciate your loyalty to the Drury family of hotels and hope to welcome you back to Drury Plaza in the future. Please feel free to contact me personally for further assistance with this or any future accommodation requirements.

Cherrie Schulz
Booneville, Mississippi
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was a wonderful experience from check in to leaving. Mark at the front desk was friendly and helpful in getting us in. He had several hints for our stay was so friendly. The room was clean. The view of the capital was beautiful from our window. And the food! The 5:30 kick back was all I wanted for a great meal and the breakfast was great. Maybe it is no 5 star, but it is free with the room! Even the garage was fully enclosed and safe for our car. Will be back when visiting St. Louis.

Room Tip: no problem with any rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

You can't get any closer to the arch than this hotel. The lobby has a large statue and water display of Louis and Clark. The pull up to check in is very narrow and my Taurus barely fit. There is no valet parking, you self- park. The garage is very narrow with a low ceiling. I barely squeezed my Taurus into a spot. Large posts do not give much flexibility.

We had an interior suiteroom with one window looking into a hallway. The bedroom had no windows, which was good if you want to sleep in.

The breakfast area, on Saturday, was pandemonium. People fighting for seats. The staff tried hard to keep the food coming. The standard powdered scrambled eggs, sausage patties, and pancakes freshly made. There were tons of kids touching everything, so not sure how sanitary.

You can walk easily to everything.

The mattress was firm and the pillows very soft, you need two if you like a firm pillow.

• Stayed April 2013
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to complete & return our guest satisfaction survey. It is through feedback like yours that we have the opportunity to review, evaluate and improve our product and services.

Unfortunately, at this location, due to the historic nature of the buildings, our parking is very limited and not as spacious as we would have built had this been a new construction building. However, it is consistent or similar with other downtown hotels in St. Louis in size, structure and cost. We do have other Drury locations in the downtown area where parking is a little more spacious: Drury Inn & Suites - Convention Center, Drury Inn - Union Station and Pear Tree Inn by Drury - near Union Station. Of course, our suburban locations have large surface lots with ample parking for oversize vehicles.

Our complimentary hot breakfast includes fresh scrambled eggs, sausage, fresh pancakes, fruit, cereal and bakery items. All of our conditions are in keeping with the City of St. Louis health department and we consistently receive inspection scores from 96 - 100.

We appreciate having you as our guest and hope you'll choose to stay with us again. However, should your decision be to select an alternative Drury location, we'll surely understand. Thank you for staying and for your loyalty to the Drury family of hotels!
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have to confess that I made a serious mistake when making these reservations. Because we had several special requests I wanted to make my reservations directly with this specific property. I looked on the internet for the telephone number for the hotel. I selected a URL that said druryplazastlouis/roomstays.com. Feeling that the first part of the URL would connect me directly to the property I used the telephone number from this web site. I ignored the word "roomstays" in the URL and that caused many problems for us.

We were traveling with two vehicles and one utility trailer. We wanted adjoining double rooms with a view of the arch, but most importantly we wanted the most reasonable rate available. After a lengthy discussion with a person who answered the telephone with "Reservations Drury Plaza St. Louis, How may I help you?" I obtained assurances that even though this was a downtown hotel there would be no problem with parking. We were promised connecting rooms with views of the arch. We were assured that the rate of $149/night was the least expensive rate available.I asked to hold the room with a credit card, and pay for the room with a debit card when we arrived. I was assured that the credit card would not be charged, and we could put the bill on our debit card when we checked out. The person on the telephone thanked me for making reservations with the Drury Plaza in St. Louis. There was nothing to suggest I was not talking directly with an employee of the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel our first problem was parking. There was no parking that would accommodate our utility trailer and truck. I explained that I had a long conversation about this issue prior to making the reservations, and was assured there would be no problem. The registration clerk looked at our reservation and informed me that we had made reservations with Expedia and he was powerless to do anything for us.

I never do business with third party agents, and I was very unhappy that I had not checked the web site more closely. I was also unhappy with what I found to be very deceptive and dishonest behavior by Expedia. The registration clerk immediately attempted to help us as best as he could. He made arrangements with a parking garage across the street for our utility trailer. He switched our rooms so we were all on the same floor, but he could not give us an arch view or adjoining rooms. Most disappointing, he could not give us the rate of $99 they were offering on this night because we had already paid Expedia $149/each for the two rooms we required. The money had already been charged to the credit card I asked them to use only to hold the rooms.

I do not know if the Drury Plaza was complicit with this deception. I believe they were not because they made every attempt to meet our needs, but we had a long, disappointing and ultimately frustrating check in process.

There was no one to help with our luggage, which I would have expected at a hotel of this quality, so we managed to get everything to our two rooms. The rooms had a pleasant decor. The bathrooms were a bit small. We were disappointed to find dried urine and feces in our toilet, but a telephone call brought a maid who immediately cleaned the toilet. We could almost forgive this oversight, but it was a bit disgusting. The rest of our room was clean. The linens and towels were luxurious. The flat screen had a wide selection of channels and clear reception. The wifi was swift and stable. Still, the fact that we had paid 50% more than the hotel rate, and had a toilet with feces dried on it diminished our normal pleasure at being in what was otherwise a nice hotel room.

This hotel was built in a huge old hat factory, and the construction of the hotel within this large square facility resulted in very few rooms with actual outside windows. They have compensated with atriums filled with artificial trees and plants, which we did not find unpleasant, and seemed almost real. The hotel seemed very substantial. We did not hear anything after we entered out room.

We loved the spacious and grand lobby. Although only a bit over ten years old, this hotel felt like a hotel from another age. I could almost pretend that I was traveling with my grandparents and staying in one of the grand old hotels with porters carrying our trunks and a proper tea served in the afternoon.

The lobby features copious amounts of marble and granite. The chandeliers are simply magnificent. The furniture is appropriate for the decorating style. There is am impressive mural on one wall with life-size figures in front of it depicting the theme of westward expansion. It was very appropriate to the location of the hotel in terms of the Arch and added to the total ambiance of the hotel. The lobby was very dramatic and we spent a bit of time just sitting in the lobby and enjoying the grandeur.

We were too late for the Kick-off service of free hot dogs and baked potatoes and three alcoholic beverages per person, but were in time for the free popcorn and sodas served in the lobby until 10pm.

Hungry and exhausted we opted to eat in the restaurant attached to the hotel. It was basically a pizza place, which served a product that was not particularly memorable or enjoyable. It met our basic needs for an evening meal, but it was at best, rather ordinary.

It seemed as if a lobby as grand as the Drury Plaza would have a lovely bar with leather and dark woods and a personable bartender. The only beverage service was in the pizza restaurant and it closed about 8:30pm.When one of our family members became ill and needed milk to take medication there was no place to purchase a glass. Someone on the hotel staff did open the breakfast prep room and provide us with a glass of milk, and we appreciated this level of service.

The room rate (which was 50% higher than most other guests had paid) included the famous Drury free breakfast. This was a great meal. We arrived only about twenty minutes before they concluded the breakfast service, but everything was well-stocked. There was a lady making fresh pancakes, which were a real hit with our grandchildren, and actually quite tasty. There were also scramble eggs, sausage patties, bisquits and gravy, cereal and hot oatmeal in addition to fresh fruit, juices, milk, coffee and tea. We had a very enjoyable meal.

The hotel is located only about two blocks from the arch, and they were generous enough to permit us to check out of the hotel late so we could visit the arch before loading our luggage and continuing on our trip.

Apart from the confusing experience when we checked in we had an excellent experience at the Drury Plaza. We would certainly stay there again, and would recommend it to others. My only suggestion is to make sure you reserve directly with the hotel, and not with Expedia. I have not given this hotel five stars because I am not fully convinced that they did not have something to do with the deceptive URL. Based on everything we experienced following registration, however, this hotel was a five star experience.

Room Tip: We did not see many restaurants in the immediate area of this hotel. I would recommend that if you a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a three night spring break stay at the Drury and had a very good experience. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great and free and a full spread. The evening food made for a meal for our three kids two nights which really helped with our budget. The free drinks for us were an extra bonus. The hotel itself was clean and very nice. The pool was pretty cold, but the kids loved it. The only downside for us was that the suite was relatively small. If I went to St. Louis again I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family