“Great Hotel! Great Location!”

Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch
Ranked #10 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Mount Dora, Florida
“Great Hotel! Great Location!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have to confess that I made a serious mistake when making these reservations. Because we had several special requests I wanted to make my reservations directly with this specific property. I looked on the internet for the telephone number for the hotel. I selected a URL that said druryplazastlouis/roomstays.com. Feeling that the first part of the URL would connect me directly to the property I used the telephone number from this web site. I ignored the word "roomstays" in the URL and that caused many problems for us.

We were traveling with two vehicles and one utility trailer. We wanted adjoining double rooms with a view of the arch, but most importantly we wanted the most reasonable rate available. After a lengthy discussion with a person who answered the telephone with "Reservations Drury Plaza St. Louis, How may I help you?" I obtained assurances that even though this was a downtown hotel there would be no problem with parking. We were promised connecting rooms with views of the arch. We were assured that the rate of $149/night was the least expensive rate available.I asked to hold the room with a credit card, and pay for the room with a debit card when we arrived. I was assured that the credit card would not be charged, and we could put the bill on our debit card when we checked out. The person on the telephone thanked me for making reservations with the Drury Plaza in St. Louis. There was nothing to suggest I was not talking directly with an employee of the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel our first problem was parking. There was no parking that would accommodate our utility trailer and truck. I explained that I had a long conversation about this issue prior to making the reservations, and was assured there would be no problem. The registration clerk looked at our reservation and informed me that we had made reservations with Expedia and he was powerless to do anything for us.

I never do business with third party agents, and I was very unhappy that I had not checked the web site more closely. I was also unhappy with what I found to be very deceptive and dishonest behavior by Expedia. The registration clerk immediately attempted to help us as best as he could. He made arrangements with a parking garage across the street for our utility trailer. He switched our rooms so we were all on the same floor, but he could not give us an arch view or adjoining rooms. Most disappointing, he could not give us the rate of $99 they were offering on this night because we had already paid Expedia $149/each for the two rooms we required. The money had already been charged to the credit card I asked them to use only to hold the rooms.

I do not know if the Drury Plaza was complicit with this deception. I believe they were not because they made every attempt to meet our needs, but we had a long, disappointing and ultimately frustrating check in process.

There was no one to help with our luggage, which I would have expected at a hotel of this quality, so we managed to get everything to our two rooms. The rooms had a pleasant decor. The bathrooms were a bit small. We were disappointed to find dried urine and feces in our toilet, but a telephone call brought a maid who immediately cleaned the toilet. We could almost forgive this oversight, but it was a bit disgusting. The rest of our room was clean. The linens and towels were luxurious. The flat screen had a wide selection of channels and clear reception. The wifi was swift and stable. Still, the fact that we had paid 50% more than the hotel rate, and had a toilet with feces dried on it diminished our normal pleasure at being in what was otherwise a nice hotel room.

This hotel was built in a huge old hat factory, and the construction of the hotel within this large square facility resulted in very few rooms with actual outside windows. They have compensated with atriums filled with artificial trees and plants, which we did not find unpleasant, and seemed almost real. The hotel seemed very substantial. We did not hear anything after we entered out room.

We loved the spacious and grand lobby. Although only a bit over ten years old, this hotel felt like a hotel from another age. I could almost pretend that I was traveling with my grandparents and staying in one of the grand old hotels with porters carrying our trunks and a proper tea served in the afternoon.

The lobby features copious amounts of marble and granite. The chandeliers are simply magnificent. The furniture is appropriate for the decorating style. There is am impressive mural on one wall with life-size figures in front of it depicting the theme of westward expansion. It was very appropriate to the location of the hotel in terms of the Arch and added to the total ambiance of the hotel. The lobby was very dramatic and we spent a bit of time just sitting in the lobby and enjoying the grandeur.

We were too late for the Kick-off service of free hot dogs and baked potatoes and three alcoholic beverages per person, but were in time for the free popcorn and sodas served in the lobby until 10pm.

Hungry and exhausted we opted to eat in the restaurant attached to the hotel. It was basically a pizza place, which served a product that was not particularly memorable or enjoyable. It met our basic needs for an evening meal, but it was at best, rather ordinary.

It seemed as if a lobby as grand as the Drury Plaza would have a lovely bar with leather and dark woods and a personable bartender. The only beverage service was in the pizza restaurant and it closed about 8:30pm.When one of our family members became ill and needed milk to take medication there was no place to purchase a glass. Someone on the hotel staff did open the breakfast prep room and provide us with a glass of milk, and we appreciated this level of service.

The room rate (which was 50% higher than most other guests had paid) included the famous Drury free breakfast. This was a great meal. We arrived only about twenty minutes before they concluded the breakfast service, but everything was well-stocked. There was a lady making fresh pancakes, which were a real hit with our grandchildren, and actually quite tasty. There were also scramble eggs, sausage patties, bisquits and gravy, cereal and hot oatmeal in addition to fresh fruit, juices, milk, coffee and tea. We had a very enjoyable meal.

The hotel is located only about two blocks from the arch, and they were generous enough to permit us to check out of the hotel late so we could visit the arch before loading our luggage and continuing on our trip.

Apart from the confusing experience when we checked in we had an excellent experience at the Drury Plaza. We would certainly stay there again, and would recommend it to others. My only suggestion is to make sure you reserve directly with the hotel, and not with Expedia. I have not given this hotel five stars because I am not fully convinced that they did not have something to do with the deceptive URL. Based on everything we experienced following registration, however, this hotel was a five star experience.

Room Tip: We did not see many restaurants in the immediate area of this hotel. I would recommend that if you a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Czech first
Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a three night spring break stay at the Drury and had a very good experience. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great and free and a full spread. The evening food made for a meal for our three kids two nights which really helped with our budget. The free drinks for us were an extra bonus. The hotel itself was clean and very nice. The pool was pretty cold, but the kids loved it. The only downside for us was that the suite was relatively small. If I went to St. Louis again I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We just returned from a two-night stay here with our family. It was perfect. The staff was friendly, room was clean, and the free food and beverages saved us a lot of money. Our kids had a blast! I'm not sure I would want to stay here as an adult-only but it was perfect for a family get-away to St. Louis. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Knoxville
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Drury Plaza. The location is wonderful for the Arch and Busch Stadium. Also about a 15 minute drive to most places of interest. Our room was clean and the pillows are great. The breakfast and kick back meals are a nice extra. Teaira checked us in. She was pleasant, professional, efficient. She even left a message to make sure our room was ok. I have never stayed at a Drury before, but if they are as clean and pleasant as this one then I will definitely stay at another one. If we come back to St. Louis, I would stay here again without any concerns. Great job and great price!!!!

Room Tip: Corner room on the 4th floor was very quiet, close to garage
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here for three nights with my kids (15, 13 and 11) for Spring Break. The hotel is in a perfect location, no doubt. The front desk staff is very friendly and very helpful; they can print out directions for you, anywhere you want to go. I really wanted to give four stars, but I do just think it was average. I had asked for a room with a view, but something got mixed up, which is not the end of the world. The room we got had the tiniest window in the far left corner of the room, and we were basically looking at a portion of the roof. I have to say it was a bit claustrophobic. I ask for another room, but they said they were booked up. We were on the 8th floor, where the pool (and fitness room) is located. This could be good and bad. Good if you want close access to these amenities. Bad if you want to catch an elevator, and there seems to always be a constant flow of people back and forth due to the pool. I had to call housekeeping the first night for an extra blanket/pillow for one of my kids, and they never answered. I got a voicemail. I left a message, but nobody called back or came to our room. I called again, and got the voicemail again, and I pressed zero for front desk, but again, it just rang and rang. Okay, no biggie. I just pulled a sheet off the bed for my son to use, as he was sleeping on an air mattress on the floor. The next day we were out sightseeing, literally five minute walk to the Arch, which is great. We then got the car and drove to the zoo. The sea lion exhibit is awesome, the underground tunnel is very cool. We saw the sea lion show too, it was "Spring Training" so they were discounted tickets. We stopped back at our hotel before dinner, it was about 4:15. Our room had not been cleaned yet. I stopped at the front desk, and she called housekeeping and said they were just about to clean it (really?), and she also ask them to leave an extra blanket. We ate dinner at Angelo's, next door. The toasted ravioli there is fantastic! We did have a clean room and extra blanket upon coming back to our room, yaaay;). We had the same issue the next day though, when we were coming back to the room to take a break before dinner, it was about 4:30, and they were just going into our room to clean it. She said to come back in 10-15 minutes. We went down to the lobby for the free popcorn and sat for awhile. We did park at the hotel, $16/night, which is not too bad. When I got my bill the last morning, I noticed I got charged double for parking. I had to go to the front desk, and she said they were showing I had two cars. It took almost 1/2 hour to have the charges reversed. She was very pleasant and apologetic, but it was just frustrating.
The staff was very friendly, the free breakfast was good. The employees who cook that breakfast work their booties off, for sure!! Maybe it was just extra busy due to Spring Break, but there were a TON of kids and food all over the place. I feel sorry for whoever has to clean up. That's a lot of work every day. Especially since it's not just muffins and cereal. You have scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, hashbrowns, pancakes and syrup...a lot of food.
To sum it up, hotel is in a great location, easy access to many nearby attractions. The room was clean, but kind of dated. Front desk staff is wonderful. Watch the parking charges! If you don't want to hear kids all the time, or smell clorine, don't stay on the 8th floor. I have kids, and even one of them said they wouldn't want to stay on the 8th floor again! haha The fridge and microwave in room is a plus for sure.

1 Thank kleigh88
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel St. Louis at the Arch, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for completing a review on TripAdvisor! It is from input from our guests that we have the opportunity to review, evaluate & improve our product and services.

I would like to thank you for the comprehensive evaluation of our hotel! This type of feedback is invaluable in creating a positive environment for our guests to stay in. We always want to exceed our guests' expectations and I'm so sorry that we were unable to do so while you were here with us. In your feedback I certainly see some issues that need to be addressed. Whereas, it appears that some situations were out of our hands, others were completely fixable and should have been handled appropriately. During any stay, please contact our guest services agent or a manager immediately upon encountering any situation that does not meet your expectation and we'll gladly do our best to remedy the situation!

Once again, thank again for your feedback, and we hope to see you back with us again soon!
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Location is this hotel's strong suit. Arch, Stadium, etc. only steps away. Staff were in a word, excellent. Included breakfast was adequate, but lacked any variety. 5:30 social was a zoo, attracting hoardes of people feeding their packs. Room was clean, everything worked. As other reviews indicate, this seems to be the preferred place for families travelling St Louis. As a business hotel, it is OK, wifi coverage is excellent throughout.

Room Tip: I've stayed here a few times. The rooms all seem to be the same. Small but adequate.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family recently spent one night at the Drury Plaza at the Arch and had a fantastic stay. It was our first time staying at a Drury brand hotel and did not know what to expect. The price was that of what I typically pay for 2-3 star hotels so I was not expecting anything special but this hotel amazed me. When you enter the hotel lobby you think that you are entering a 4 star property. The breakfast and dinner lounge is huge and gorgeous and very classy. Our room was a king suite with pull out for the kids in a separate room which was perfect. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet which gave us all a great night's sleep. The location could not be better being only a few blocks away from the Arch and Busch stadium. I'd love to come back and catch a Cardinals game in the summer. The breakfast in the morning was close to your typical hotel breakfast in selection except the food was cooked fresh and you can taste the difference. The nightly happy hour also had a great selection of food for the kids and cocktails for the adults. Because of this stay I am likely to try out more Drury Inn's in my travels. If they are all like this I may not ever stay at another hotel brand again.

3 Thank Liz-Mikko