“Terrible table management and long wait times for a table - not worth it”
Review of Bevo Mill - CLOSED

Bevo Mill
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is my second time trying to go to Bevo Mill for Sunday brunch. Called on a Monday to try to make a reservation but could not get in. I was told they would have some table for walk ins or possibly we could sit outside (love this idea). So we headed to Bevo Mill arriving at 10:30am. Boy were we in for a surprise.

There were at least 25 people waiting to be seated (walk in's), by the way, no waiting area or bar so you are constantly in the way with no place to sit. I finally get to the host who says it is an hour wait. As I look around 90% of the tables are empty and there are more people standing waiting than are seated or in the buffet line.

I was told that it was because they had coupons expiring. I was also told that they had seated the first 60 walk-in's downstairs. Too bad my date had gone downstairs to the restroom and told me there were also 25 people tops down there with at least half the tables open. I really don't appreciate being lied too.

It was so bad we left with out being seated.

Our previous visit was about the same but we had decided to give them one more try. Beign from St. Louis I remember and enjoyed the previous Bevo Mill.

WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. Our experience the first time also was filled with tables sitting empty for an hour but being told they could not seat us due to being full with reservations. We were told 45-hour wait but ended up waiting 1.5 hours. No where to sit and had to share the one walk-in designated table with strangers. This is a terrible managed place.

The food was ok but not worth the hassle. Have found several other places that are much better, great service and have better locations in south St. Louis.

TRIED IT TWICE - WE ARE NOW DONE.

BEWARE IF YOU BUY A COUPON> I believe they sell the groupons/living social to get cash then make it impossible to redeem them for the deal. You then lose the promo value because you can never get in and are stuck with the paid value you still need to use. They even have a page on their website on what to do if you end up not being able to use your coupon.

3  Thank StLouTraveller

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Our group of 6 decided to have brunch last Sunday at the Bevo. We had reservations and was seated promptly. The waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly. There were lots of choices for both breakfast and lunch and the food was plentiful, unlike some reviews I have read in the past. We were all satisfied with the selections. The architecture is beautiful and made a lovely backdrop for a leisurely Sunday brunch. We will be going back again. Only negative, the waiter was not very attentive at removing dirty plates and refills on drinks. I do not like having dirty plates piled up on the table. It seems since they are not taking food orders, delivering orders etc. they would have to time for these details. That was the only thing that prevented me from giving the Bevo a rating of 5.

2  Thank Broker_1
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was suppose to have my wedding reception at Bevo Mill. ONE WEEK before my wedding they closed without notice. We were out $3500! Yes $3500! We have never been refunded and the food was awful. So sad and disappointing! Almost ruined my big day! Do not go there!

1  Thank Leelee1978
Reviewed February 25, 2013

First, this probably should not be in restaurants--it is more of an attraction. They do not have a real restaurant. It is an event venue with a catering service that is open for Sunday and holiday brunches. The building was built in the early 20th century by August Busch, Sr, as a copy of an authentic Flemish windmill and it is a beautiful building. We had Sunday brunch recently on a trip to St Louis and enjoyed the experience. It was not the best brunch I have had at all, but the food was tasty and the main courses were well-prepared. The breakfast is pretty standard fare, but the "lunch" portion features central European dishes--we had a jagerschnitzel that was quite tasty, dumplings, a sauerkraut dish, braised cabbage. There was also a smoked, chilled salmon, a variety of salads, peel & eat shrimp. On the other hand, the dessert selection left much to be desired. The waiter described strudel and shooters but those never appeared. Instead the desserts were institutional purchases, although fairly good quality ones. The coffee was good, but it was served with small portions of fake creamer, not half and half. At $25 a head, cream is not too much to ask. They did have a bottomless mimosa for $4.50 and a Bloody Mary bar with a wide variety of hot sauces, but no horseradish. Our waiter was reasonably pleasant, but we had to remind him about our juice and to get a refill on coffee. All in all, it is a good experience for tourists, but probably once is enough--there are too many top notch brunches in St. Louis where the atmosphere is good and the food and service match. By the way, they have a strange reservation system--they only take reservations over the phone during business hours M-F. If you do not have a reservation, they sit you at a big table they call a "captain's table" and then add another party to yours.

1  Thank Bkwrm
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My in-laws were coming to town and the week before, the Bevo Mill had Living Social deal for a brunch with unlimited Mimosa's for half price. I got two (the max for four people) and made a reservation for Sunday Brunch. We arrived a little early and they were unable to seat us until our reservation time. We spied the dessert table and checked it out and it looked yummy. We were seated in the main dining area with the brunch tables set up. We had a little of everything and it was all delicious. My husband didn't like the pancakes very well, but loved the biscuits. The atmosphere was great and the service terrific. I would definitely go again when family or friends come to town.

1  Thank etaschwer