“Nice little hotel”

Ranked #60 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Southgate, Michigan
“Nice little hotel”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here one night on business trip. Smaller older property, about 6 or 7 blocks away from the Arch. One of the things that stood out was the staff. They were exceptional. Polite, helpful, and cheerfull. They have a car that can drop you off down town and pick you up. The young fellow driving had a very good knowledge of the downtown restaurants. The room was clean. Bed was OK. Could have used more "sleeping" pillows on the bed - they have a bunch of decorative ones.
They have breakfast at the restaurant downstairs starting at 6:30, but it's too expensive, it's $9.00 just for the cold stuff.
Internet worked well.

Room Tip: If you want a view you need higher floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Hotel Majestic St. Louis, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay with us during your business trip. If you call our front desk, we’re more than happy to send more pillows to your room. We hope that you will stay with us next time you’re in St. Louis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked this hotel via Priceline - my first experience. I was looking for 4 star in the downtown St. Louis area. When this one came back as my selection, I seemed hopeful as I checked out Omni's website and it seemed pretty luxurious and nice. I was lucky because there was a major soccer event in the city that weekend and lot's of places were sold out.

Luxurious it is not. There are basically no amenities that I can speak of. Stephenie at the front desk is horrible. Upon check-in I inquired about parking, I was told valet at $25 or fend for yourself. So I proceeded to drive around and all I could find was a day lot. I think I got lucky because I was able to pay each day, and each day I was told no overnight parking, but thankfully my car was still there. However, the trek from my car to the hotel sucked, as I had to shlep all my luggage and such. The room and furnishings are dull and dated - it's the kind of hotel where they mask ripping wall paper, soiled carpets and yucky bathtubs and caulking with fancy wall scones and chandeliers.

As far as I know the hotel has no breakfast, room service or any other amenities. If there was, Stephenie failed to mention them too me. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from somewhere who wears a Cardinals t-shirt to work. At a 4 star hotel...

A few positives - the clerk working the overnight shift was very helpful my first night in attempting to locate my cell phone left in a taxi - sadly I never located it. I also used the shuttle service the 2nd night and that guy was pretty cool. And the location is good.

I most definitely got the "Priceline experience and room (small, no view, dismal)" I know these hotels know that you've used this service and didn't pay as much as other customers so I guess they figure they don't need to put as much effort into service.

I have no reason to stay there again, nor another Omni property. I would have been happier at a Hyatt Place - with a parking lot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lucasg186
First we would like to apologize if our staff didn’t inform you of the amenities at our hotel. We do have breakfast in our restaurant until 10 a.m. each morning, as well as room service. We do not have self-park options at the hotel, but as you mentioned there are self-park options near the hotel. Unfortunately since the city was busy during your visit, the proximity of the lot wasn’t as close to the hotel as it would have been normally. We are sorry if your room was not clean when you checked in. We are happy to accommodate a room change it is dirty or send a housekeeper to refresh the room. Our furnishings may not be as modern as a new hotel, but as a historic property, our room décor was chosen to match the overall feel of the hotel. We choose to sell our rooms on Priceline, and we appreciate our partnership with them and our customers that stay with us that book through them. We want all our guests to feel welcome and well taken care of regardless of the price they paid. We apologize that we failed to provide you the great customer service we’re capable of delivering. While we know you won’t be looking to stay at our hotels in the future, but we hope you might reconsider if you don’t find another hotel that you prefer.
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Omni Majestic was designated an "over-flow" hotel after the block of rooms set aside at our meeting site, the Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel, filled. The Omni Majestic offered a free shuttle to the meeting site, which I utilized when available, though I would sometimes walk the five blocks or so to the Renaissance when the shuttle was unavailable. My room was quite nice and was quiet, and though the view from the room wasn't spectacular, it did offer a partial glimpse of the STL Gateway Arch. One evening I walked the 10 blocks or so to the arch about an hour before it closed. I felt safe walking to the arch, but the area was pretty quiet until I reached the park in which the arch is located, and very few businesses were open along the way. The arch was more impressive than I expected, so I am glad that I made the effort to see it. Parched after sightseeing, I stopped by the hotel bar for an iced tea. Staffing seemed limited during my stay, and the hotel employees seemed to wear many hats, but even though they were probably juggling a lot of duties, they were often quite considerate; some going above and beyond to meet guests' preferences, while other staff members were just adequate. I never ate a meal at the hotel. I noticed a new little grocery/convenience store located between the hotels, but it closed by 6 p.m., so I never tried it. I utilized the valet parking at the Omni, which was $25 a day with unlimited access. There are parking meters across the street and a public parking lot around the corner, but it was inconvenient to feed the meters and I was pressed for time and couldn't find anyone staffing the lot, so I did not research the prices and hours of the nearby lot. I would stay here again if I had business in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of our first day driving route 66 from Chicago and were so glad we did. We were made to feel very welcome,had a great room and the food was fab! if we are ever in St.Louis again we will return there.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We chose this hotel because of it's proximity to the convention center and that it was pet friendly. They treated our dog like a valued guest and this is why I gave the rating of VERY GOOD. There is a park area 2 blocks from the hotel. The room was a bit small, especially if you plan to do computer or paperwork. The bathroom was well lit, but the room was pretty dark. Not many parking options and valet is overpriced at $25 a day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Indianapolis
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Decided to take a long weekend in St. Louis with my 13 yr old son and stayed here. It was WONDERFUL! Have stayed closer to the arch before and felt like I was in "tourist alley"! Really loved this location much better. Walking distance to Busch Stadium for a Cardinal's game and the City Museum (our family favorite!). Loved the city parks and wondering around down toward the capitol building and the arch, but also loved heading over to Washington Ave. for restaurants and entertainment. All an easy walk from the hotel.

For the hotel itself, well, you have to be the type who enjoys an inner-city boutique hotel, but if you are like us...you'll LOVE it. The building is fascinating. Definitely not another cookie-cutter hotel. The room was well appointed, large and very clean. The staff was amazing and we really felt they wanted to cater to our every need. Front desk staff, restaurant staff, housekeeping...all were accommodating and kind. There were great restaurants and coffee shops within a block in several directions which catered to the city-dweller in us. Felt more like we belonged there than we were tourists.

Our suggestions - I can only think of three things and even they aren't that big a deal.

1) Parking - like many city hotels, valet is your only option and although it is unlimited in-and-outs, it is still a little steep at $25/day. Especially when you can go to either 10th or 11th and Pine to self park at Passport Parking for only $5-8/day which is a great deal if you are like us, and not planning to take you car out - but even if you take it out once/day, it's still cheaper at even $16/day than the valet. They even have an app so you can "renew" each day from your phone but only if you have iPhone or Android. Since I have a Windows phone, I had to physically walk over there and pay every day - not ideal, but it was on my way to the coffee shop!

2) As an Omni member, we had free in-room WIFI and complimentary morning beverage room service. The only issue was I kept forgetting to put my free breakfast beverage order tag on the door at night. This was totally my fault and not the Omni's, but it would've been nice if I could "cash-in" that same order at the restaurant. I walked down to the restaurant for a cup of tea one morning and although it was wonderful and the server delightful even getting me a "to go" cup to take back to my room, it was a $5 cup of tea...but again, my laziness in the evening.

3) The in-room TV/movie selection was not great, but we didn't plan to spend much time there so I wasn't worried until we decided to "veg-out" one rainy afternoon. We watched TBS and played cards, but it would've been a great afternoon for an in-room movie, especially since the downtown movie house options didn't exactly cater to my 13 year old (although it would've really fit the bill had I been with my husband since we love independent films!).

That being said - I can't wait for our next trip back. Maybe with the family, or just a weekend away with the hubby! ; )

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Allen, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here with my son for a few days while visiting St. Louis. The hotel needs a few updates, but the attentiveness and professionalism of the staff made up for any of these shortcomings. The accomodations were roomy and clean - the service was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family