“2 stays in 2 months, good, almost great”

The Hotel Majestic St. Louis
Ranked #66 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Missouri
“2 stays in 2 months, good, almost great”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Let me start by saying that the staff at this Omni are terrific. Very friendly and helpful and genuinely nice. I only encountered one employee (the breakfast hostess on the 2nd stay) that was less than stellar. She was not rude, just indifferent.

The rooms are clean and well appointed. But let's face it, an HISTORIC hotel means old. So don't expect giant bathrooms with jetted tubs and TVs in the mirror. The tub was slightly oversized and comfortable though. We did have a stained sheet on the 2nd stay which should have been disposed of instead of reused. It was washed and the stain was old, but it wasn't our stain so I didn't want to sleep on it. The first room had a flat screen TV, the second one had a large old clunker of a TV, but we didn't stay there to sit in the room and watch TV.

Select Guest (free program to register) members receive a free bottle of water and complimentary morning beverages delivered to the room at whatever time you choose.

The parking is valet only and costs $25 I think. We had a room package which included it both times, so I am not certain.

The breakfast buffet was great the first stay and just OK the second. The "hot" foods barely warm and the waffles were cold and stale. The breakfasts were also included in our package but normally run $9 per person. I received a survey and mentioned the fact that the breakfast wasn't so great and the manager refunded $18 to my credit card and offered a free bottle of wine on our next visit for the stained sheet.

Ice machines are only on the odd numbered floors by the "10" rooms. We were on the 6th floor (612) and had to go up or down a floor to get ice. I chose down and got to the 5th floor. The whole floor smelled like the sewer and the ice machine was dismantled and lying in pieces in the floor. So I went up to the 7th and got ice. Not a big deal, but the stairwells were pretty dirty and the 5th had what looked like bloody rags in the corner. Hopefully they were just dirty. I would say that if you get a "10" room, ask to be moved. The ice machine and the door to the room were very loud. I would not have wanted to stay near that. They will bring you ice if you ring the front desk and the turn dow service lady offered to get us some if you don;t want to get it yourself.

The internet was TERRIBLE. No connectivity and their tech support was useless. he told us to stand near a window or go to the lobby. We were trying to plan some activites and wanted to use the laptop instead of our phones. Didn't happen. Very frustrating. My opinion is to not advertise free Wi-Fi if it doesn't work well. We talked to every person we saw on the elvator or at breakfast and they all said the same thing when asked--no reliable internet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christymfowler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We checked into the hotel late at night and inquired about parking options. The staff told us that parking at the hotel's parking facility runs at $25, but after we signed up for it, they reduced the charge to $10 and the valet took care of it for us.

The room was spacious and clean with a comfortable king size bed. Room temperature was very comfortable, and the thermostat had the temp down to 68 very quickly.

The facility offers a complimentary continental breakfast. This was better than the breakfast we paid $14/person for the next morning at the Sheraton.

Overall we had an excellent stay and would highly recommend the Omni to anyone seeking accommodations in downtown St. Louis.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2011

After reading its many great reviews and anxious to take advantage of my newly-raised status with Omni's Select Guest program, I booked two nights at the Omni Majestic in St. Louis, Missouri. The hotel's glowing reviews seem to share a common theme: the friendly, customer-service oriented staff with whom so many guests are impressed. My contact with the hotel's staff was neither good nor bad - the staff conducted themselves professionally and were attentive to my needs. This should be of no surprise - how else would we expect them to be? A smiling, enthusiastic front desk agent does not make a hotel three star versus four star, though.

The Omni Majestic is located on Pine Street in downtown St. Louis. It is the lone hotel in this part of town, as nearly all of the other luxury hotels are found close to the Arch. On the weekend, downtown is a ghost town - there are no stores in walking distance that are open and the choice of restaurants is limited as well. If you arrive by plane and do not rent a car, you will find yourself trapped.

From the airport, I took the MetroLink directly to downtown. It cost just $3.75 and took about thirty-five minutes. The Omni is about a block and a half from the 8th & Pine station. Approaching the hotel, it's exterior is drab and uninspiring. It did not have an "old" look as much as it had a Orwellian 1984 look. The hotel's entrance is unimpressive as is the lobby, despite the grand piano that looks out of place. The front desk is literally just that - a desk at the door where someone is seated, waiting to check you in. I assumed the front desk was being renovated but no, this was the front desk.

The front desk agents were friendly. I requested my room upgrade but was told that the hotel was completely booked and there was nothing available. I was given keys to a room on the sixth floor.

My room was a huge disappointment. The decor is uninspired, boring and lacks any charm. The windows provided a view of nothing. The television was old - no flat screen, and there was no safe in the room for valuables. Perhaps worst of all was the bathroom, for which even "small" would be an overstatement. I assume this hotel has nicer rooms wherein some of these things have been addressed. It is, therefore, an even greater disappointment that the hotel provided this room to one of its most loyal guests.

The internet service was okay at best. The fitness center should be closed. It had two or three very old cardio machines and two sets (a total of four) dumbbells laid on the floor. What a joke. I have seen two-star hotel gyms with more variety. Aside from that, the fitness center is in the basement and lacks any decor to brighten it up or inspire. There was no turn-down service in the evening. I thought about giving room service a try just after 10:00 p.m., only to learn that it was already closed for the evening.

This hotel could have old-world, historic charm, but instead it just looks neglected and dated. It lacks a four-star feel but charges four-star rates, excessive considering the hotel's offerings. Similarly priced hotels are located by the Arch, a much better area, offering views, modern amenities and up-to-date technology. I love Omni hotels, but the Majestic is a huge disappointment.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Alexjrosen
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Hotel Majestic St. Louis, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
We're sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We definitely have a more traditional feel, but we try to provide all the modern amenities you would find at any of our competitors. We only have 91 rooms and we're sorry we were unable to offer you an upgrade when you stayed with us. Although free space is limited, we do want to offer our guests fitness options, even if it's only a few machines. It's certainly not going to be as impressive as some newer hotels where the fitness center was incorporated into the design. We're sorry that we don't offer a room service option past 10pm, but the demand for room service after that hour makes it hard for us to justify keeping the kitchen open any later. There are delivery options and we're happy to provide those upon request. We'd love to win you back as a customer, but it seems that a more modern hotel might be a better fit for your needs. We welcome any additional feedback on the chance that you do end up staying with us in the future.
Detroit suburb, MI
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel was good...an older hotel but right down town. The concierge was very nice and room check in took about 15 seconds. Everything was set. The rooms were older and small....no flat screen no major updates but comfortable and clean. Booked here on a discount travel site so I cant complain about the price. Parking on the street is free Sundays and overnight Sunday night until 7 a.m. No need to pay valet :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Not sure I can add much to what has been said below. Yes, it's an older property, so each room is a bit different and not exactly "plush." But everything is clean and in good condition. However, any rough spots in the facility was blown away by the amazing service.

Those who travel frequently know that some sometimes there's an "Eddie Haskell" feel to the customer service -- they're nice to your face, but you suspect they are not quite as nice when no one is looking. The Omni Majestic staff was so genuine in their customer service attitude, they had to have been born that way. They would do anything to help make your stay more pleasant.

I had a king room with a huge, comfortable bed. I was thrilled there was a sofa bed, also, as my son was flying in to spend the last night with me. When he arrived, I asked the front desk for some bedding for the sofa bed as we walked through the lobby. They said they'd ask housekeeping to bring some up. Before we got up to the room, housekeeping was already there putting the sheets on the sofa bed. That's just one example, but indicative of the service I experienced the entire five days.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed at the Omni Majestic during a recent business trip and was very favorably impressed. The hotel is a restored 30's era building taht has been completely renovated yet retains so many features not found in hotels today....lovely dark wood panelling, high ceilings with mouldings, brass fittings, etc. It has the feel of a European venue.

The secret gem of this hotel is the staff. They make you feel like a valued guest almost instantly and are great sources of information and helpful tips for enjoying the area sites. The shuttle service is a valuable addition when travelling in the downtown area.

I stayed there on two occaisions and hope to find a reason to return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Being on the road for work is tough - and often one has to "fight" for service at an hotel. My experience with Omni properties has been positive and a colleague and I decided to try this one.

The service was outstanding! From the literal minute of my arrival and Julie intuiting it was me before I even said my name to the daily greetings by Julie, Mark, John and others as I came and went from the hotel, it all made me feel less like I was staying in a hotel than I was "coming home."

As others have written, the rooms could use a bit of updating. At the same time, the entire hotel had a European feeling .. in a good way. It was clean, comfortable, and, during the awful heat wave, the a/c worked well!

The room was quiet - I rarely heard any noise from outside or from the corridor and I was in a room near the elevator. The staff honored the DND on my room .. a rarity in too many hotels. The added benefit of the hotel's car to drive you to and from appointments in a specific block area saved on cabs and on hassles. It was comfortable and my colleague and I got to know the staff better - and learn more about the training. I think the longest we ever waited for a return-to-the-hotel ride was 10 minutes because they were out on another run.

In the restaurant, I highly recommend the sweet potato "sun sticks" - fries by any other name but better: they are tossed in a bit of cinnamon which adds to their flavor. And their soups are outstanding!

What I wish the hotel had: strong wi-fi signal, better in-room desk chairs, a more varied room service/restaurant menu, and, in the restaurant, something to soften the look.

I would stay there again and recommend it. The GM (Burnell Goldman) is new (I learned) and I am sure he will continue the outstanding service and no doubt put his own touches on the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business