“Old but still great...”

City Place St. Louis Downtown Hotel
Ranked #107 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Haven't slept that good in years in a hotel! This hotel has seen better days but the good nights sleep I had - it didn't matter. Check-in and check-out was horrible. Only one person at the front desk - which means it took forever to get checked-in (at midnight) and forever to get checked out the next morning.

The room was large and very comfortable. But like I said, this hotel has seen better days and need a bit of refurbishing.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Laura B
There are newer reviews for City Place St. Louis Downtown Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2007

We booked our hotel through hotwire for a 3 night stay. After booking the hotel we started reading the reviews on it. I could not believe all of the bad things people were saying about it and it did start worrying me about what we got ourselves into.

This is an older hotel but it is going through some updating now. The room that we got was great. It was very spacious with2 queen beds, living area, and kitchenette. The beds were heavenly and they left a little gift on the bed (sleep CD, to help relax, lavender scent to spray on the pillows, ear plugs, and an eye mask). The last two are wonderful for people who have spouses who like to watch TV late at night. Pillows, what can I say, each bed had 5 of them and they were the most comfortable pillows I have ever used. The bathroom was very nicely decorated.

Hotel staff were all very polite and professional. They went out of their way to help in any way that they can. I had them do some internet searching for me since I was on vacation and didn't want to bring a notebook with me.

The garage was not scary like other reviews claims. It was always being patrolled by security. I felt very safe in it. When you get your ticket for the garage just take the ticket to the front desk and they will validate it for you. This way you will not be paying the $10.00 a day fee. How nice is that?

The hotel location is great! It is just a few blocks from the Busch
Ballpark and the Gateway Arch. There is plenty of nightlife surronding the hotel.

This hotel is a wonderful place that I would gladly go back to.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OklahomaPrincess
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I reserved this room becaue I found a great deal for it online. After I made the reservation I saw many negative reviews and got really nervous. In the end, I was glad that I decided to stick with this hotel because most of the negative reviews are totally exaggerated.

I had a nice room with a fantastic bed on the 20th floor. The room and the bathroom were a little small but I couldn't complain for what I paid. Plus, the room had a view of The Arch, the Old Courthouse, and Busch Stadium. The room was quiet and the housekeeping staff did and excellent job.

Parking was not the greatest situation. Yes, the garbage dumpsters are in the parking lot right next to the side entrance to the hotel so it was impossible to get in and out without smelling garbage. However, we didn't pay for parking the entire time we stayed at the hotel so I can put up with a smell for the 1 minute walk from the garage to the hotel. We did validate the ticket before we left each day (the front desk is on your way from the elevator to the parking garage so it was hard to forget) but we never paid anything and there were no parking charges on our bill.

The rest of the experience was great. The staff was very nice and knowledgable, the hotel was clean, and all of the elevators were working. I would recommend the Crowne Plaza to anyone looking for a nice affordable place to stay in St Louis

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Law_girl08
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a conference I was attending downtown. My experience was much better than expected based on some of the reviews I had read from other members. I had a room on one of the higher floors, and it was huge. Not only was the room very large, but it was also very up to date with new beds that were great. There was even a large counter top area near the door with an additional sink and minifridge. The view of the Arch couldn't be beat either. I thought maybe I had some type of upgraded room, but after visiting other conference attendees on the floor, I learned that they were all much larger than average hotel rooms. Based on some of the other reviewers, apparently not all of the rooms are as nice and up to date, but I know Crowne Plaza just recently took over the property earlier this year, so I guess I was lucky enough to be put on a floor that had been renovated. If you choose to stay here, check the status of your room when making the reservation and make sure you're in one that has been renovated and you should really enjoy the stay. As far as the parking garage, there's nothing dangerous about it. It's not much to look at, and it's a little tricky to get out of, but it's nothing unusual for a downtown environment. The location of the hotel is great. It's in walking distance of many restaurants and attractions so I didn't have to take the car out of the garage at all during my stay.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank TheFedTraveler
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We payed WAAAYYY too much to stay in this downtown dump. We decided to get out of town at the last minute and see the sights in St. Louis. My mistake in booking this hotel over the nicer Hilton across the street or the Millennium down the street. Unless you pay for Valet parking, be prepared to walk through a disgusting, smelly, and dangerous parking garage every time you leave. Parking is also $10 extra and make sure to get the ticket stamped or they will charge you $10 EACH time. Spent 30 minutes in checkout line with my kids and wife behind a "bachelor party" group. Loved the guy with the t-shirt that said "Of course I love you, my [--] is hard isn't it?" I kid you not...if your going downtown to party then this might be acceptable hotel. Families stay away.

No continental breakfast
No housekeeping after 5pm (we called twice)
No hot water in the morning

Rooftop pool is small and the pool deck is EXTREMELY dangerous due to poor drainage.

We booked through Holiday Inn...who said this was upscale hotel without the upscale price. They were wrong on both counts. Holiday Inn is dead to me now...Hilton from here on out.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank jwhaz
Reviewed July 30, 2007

loved this hotel, adored the view,from the pool on the roof and the area outside the breakfast room, our room (on23rd floor)was huge, the beds sumptuous,the bathroom absolutely stunning,we had room for a romantic dance around, the whole ambience in the room was amazing,we could even see the cardinals playing a game from the roof.and the Arch was right there in front of us in all its magestic glory. We spent a while in the bar area which is really spacious and yet cosy,the staff were wonderful,only problem was breakfast, they could not get the eggs benedict quite right which meant that whilst some of us had our breakfast others had to wait,but that did not detract from the fact that given the opportunity we would most definately stay there again

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank jbritishtraveller
Reviewed July 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Crown Plaza this past weekend. We are from the St. Louis area, but decided to stay downtown after a concert. We booked an $89 a night special from Travelzoo which included parking.

Large, clean room with a very comfortable bed. The only negative was there were a lot of teenagers who were attending a convention all weekend - so it was a bit louder than I would have liked. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple