“An old but pretty good hotel in a very good location”

City Place - Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #111 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I just returned from a three-night stay with some friends of mine at the downtown Crowne Plaza and found the hotel to be fine overall. I stayed here twice previously when it was the Radisson and found very little had changed. I thought I had read about a $30M renovation of the hotel but couldn't find any such signs.

The room I shared was a suite with a spacious living room and bedroom on a corner of the building facing the Gateway Arch and the Mississippi River, and it truly had great views. The bed was very comfortable and the living room afforded a good space to hang out between activities. The room could have been a little cleaner but was clean enough, and the daily servicing was sufficient. The bathroom, however, was tiny, probably measuring 5X7 including the shower stall and afforded little room for keeping toiletries. The room also had a foldout couch to use as a second bed, though we couldn't find any bedding to use with it, so we abandoned that idea.

Positives with the hotel include a great lobby bar and seating area that was busy most times of the day and night, and a helpful front desk that was usually happy to offer advice on activities or places to eat. The workout room is fine, with enough treadmills to go around, but a general dearth of strength training equipment. It could have also used a mat for stretching. We had breakfast at the Union Grill one of the mornings and found it to be okay but a bit pricey.

One clear downside of the hotel is its overall age, which is becoming harder and harder to disguise. I could foresee a $30M renovation going entirely into mechanical upkeep just to keep the 40+ year-old hotel operating. Our rooms both struggled to cool and the toilet in the one room struggled to flush. You could see where the operators were trying as hard as possible to keep up with things but seemed to be fighting a losing battle. Another negative is the parking garage, which is both maddingly inefficient in layout and falling apart.

Overall, this is a good hotel based on its central location, views and relative cost. However, it may be on the downside of its useful life and there are some warts, though none that should ruin a stay here.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Schmengi9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,654)

Reviewed May 8, 2009

Early May 2009,
First thing was that the parking is very confusing and I found no place where it was explained and was not informed by staff. When arriving you must get parking ticket, but must also present to hotel front desk to have it validated and pay a $10 fee, supposadly 24 hour parking. This validation must be done everytime you come and go. We arrived around 5pm and our parking expired at 12pm the next day(also our checkout time). Garage extremely smelly, and garage ceiling drips of water. When we left one of the pipes in the garage was gushing water, just tons of it, and we had to drive under it to exit, as it pelted over our car, not sure where the water was coming from, but it had been raining for most of the evening, so may have had something to do with it. Beds were very comfortable. Faucet to sink rather confusing/hard to use. Had to get a new room key when one stopped working. There is a free internet hookup that we found to be very fast. Many posts speak about not being able to control air, however, our room had three settings, warmer, normal, and, cooler. I found cooler to be cooler than I wanted, so switched back to normal. Very tiny trash can in room. There were no do not disturb signs so we were awoken by house keeping banging on door at 8:45 am and she unlocked door and walked in before we could get up which was rather awkward. Be aware that there are many places in walking distance from the hotel, but we were approached by homeless man smelling of alcohol that came up and grabbed my boyfriends hand to introduce homeself before my boyfriend had a chance to respond but I must say he was the most friendly homeless man I have ever encountered, but still a rather scary situation overall for two people not used to a large city. Be prepared for such if you plan on walking anywhere downtown.

Overall, a very clean hotel and room. Very nice Atrium. Friendly staff, nice sized room.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jiukhat
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I was a bit worried booking this hotel for a week's stay with my teenage daughter. The reviews seem to indicate that it was going to be a tired, maybe rundown downtown hotel. Those fears diminished when we entered the lobby, they evaporated when we opened the door to our spacious room, bright, clean room. We opened the curtains, and there was the Arch. We were right where we needed to be.
Pluses: hard wire internet access, 100% reliable. Wireless was available at a charge, but we didn't bother. Very large room, didn't feel cramped for a one week stay (we were only two). Refurbished bath room. Not especially large, but was fine. Coffee maker in the room got a lot of use! The cleaner left extra coffee when I asked. And an extra box of tissue (we had colds). You can't control the heat/AC, but we did not find that a problem. The staff was always friendly and accommodating. I wish they'd explained the parking situation a little better, you need to get your garage tix validated. Only $10 a day, in/out as much as you want. We were so centrally located we walked a lot. We never had to wait for elevators, that was bonus! This hotel was so easy to fine as we ventured around the downtown. It is adjacent to the Hyatt, and in the shadow of the Arch. Couldn't ask for a better location.
Minuses: Could have used a table or two, the desk was the only table in the room, it got really busy. The cable sucks, we were in our room most evenings, and one day due to sickness. HBO yes, but then a bunch of sports channels and network TV. No TLC, Discovery or Food Network. Movies where 12.99 OMG! We broke down and rented one...seemed like a rip off. Mid West smoking! If you're from the East, you forget about the stale odor of smoke everywhere. Our room was fine, but the lobby had that lingering smell, as do the area restaurants.
When you are calculating your room cost, you should know there are city & state taxes that add almost $10 a day to your tab.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We recently stayed at the downtown Crowne Plaza in St. Louis for 3 nights. I booked the hotel on Hotwire so we got an okay rate ($57 + tax) but our stay was pretty uncomfortable.

The main issue was the "airconditioning" or lack thereof (see other reviews). The airconditioning system is old and is virtually useless. We noticed the room was pretty hot when we walked in and so adjusted the 2 airconditioning units down to the lowest setting (the windows appeared to be screwed shut) and went out. Returning later that night the room still seemed to be warm but we removed the duvet and tried to sleep. After a fitful sleep we woke up dried out husks - my face was flushed with cracked lips and my husband had a splitting headache. Called the front desk and they sent someone round who unscrewed the windows and got us a fan. He said the hotel does have a few rooms that have independant window mounted air-conditioners (which I would insist on if I stayed again). Even though it was mid-March and cool outside, our room never became cool enough to be comfortable for our liking. The airconditioning (which I think was blowing out warmish air) was unable to be turned off.

On returning home we realised the Crowne Plaza had made a $75 charge on our debit card which was pending. At no point during our contact with the front desk had they informed us that they would do this. On querying the charge they implied it was standard "hold" and the charge would not go through. While this may not even show on a credit card, if you use a debit card, this amount will not be available for your use while a charge is pending. Like the airconditioning, not cool.

The hotel was renovated recently according to their website. Our room was okay but there were obvious areas that needed work (see photos). Also some fixtures had obviously not been updated, such as the basin, faucet, door handles...

Other minor issues -
Guests should request a room with a fridge if they would like one as these are not available in every room.
The extras they supplied were a bit lacking; conditioner with no shampoo, just one set of earplugs/sleeping mask etc.
It would be nice if they would supply more than 2 teabags for the non-coffee drinkers among us.

Overall, if you can get a room for a good price and know what to ask for, it's not too bad. Otherwise, be prepared for an uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2009

My fiance and I got an amazing deal on this hotel! I think we paid around $30/night. The hotel is nice, the front desk is very helpful. One thing that did bother me was the air conditioning. I had read reviews that said the rooms were warm. Boy, were they right. Our room was tiny, tiny, tiny. You had to crawl over the bed to get to the other side. The air was on maximum and it was still hot in there. We called downstairs and they brought us a fan, which didn't help much. Parking was free, but you had to get your card stamped everytime you left or came back by the front desk. Not a big deal though, free parking is worth it. I would stay here again, if I had to, but would rather somewhere that has comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank k_swiss82
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Spent close to a day running through all the hotel discount sites and needed to know about parking. While talking to a rep. from the Crowne plaza hotels I was offered an amazing deal. Really thought it may be too good to be true,but found the opposite. Very large room with the most comfortable beds I've been in. The bathrooms are a tad small,but well done . (how much time do you spend in there anyway) The staff was courteous,professional, and above all knowlegable about the city. They gave us many insights that saved time,gas, and money. I will definitley check there first when staying in st. louis.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2009

I stayed at this Hotel for a week on business.

The negatives that come to mind:
- Internet did not function and had to change rooms twice
- Gym equipment is very old and tired
- Rooms are old, seems like a condo conversion
- "Drinks" on the exective floor were usually locked in a fridge

The positives:
- I walked to most places downtown
- It is just off the expressway, easy to reach
- Rooms were clean
- My room had a small kitchen
- Executive floor had nice breakfast
- Nice view of the arch

It is hard to beat the price/ service/ loaction mix of this hotel. Services are acceptable, priced less than the courtyard for my period of stay, excellent location!

I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)