“Not what it appears to be”

City Place - Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #110 of 124 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This place is pretty dated and is in desperate need of an upgrade. The view was beautiful however my hips were sore from the hard bed (I'm not older or overweight) Also the front desk held twice the amount they told me on my debit card. Lastly, we went out and came back and almost couldn't get back in because of what the front desk called an "accident". (There were no less than six police cars, an ambulance, CSI, and the medical examiner..sure that sounds like an accident...oooops I mean the TV show "The first 48")

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank LaShira
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear LaShira,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the hotel conditions have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,653)

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Booked on the way to st. louis from a travel guide from the welcome center for MO. Great location next to the arch, but the room was terrible. Although it was old and looked like it needed to be completely refurbished, not sure it had been cleaned--or maybe not used in a while. There were long dark hairs in the tub and the floor and dust everywhere. Peeling paint and wallpaper. Staff was friendly at front destk, but told them they really need to have housekeeping step it up a bit. Just understand that in the summer, could not adjust the AC with the type of systems they have. This is a very old building and needs it. Would rather stay at a very basic chain than here. Do not be fooled by the name--you won't have that kind of experience. If we could have refunded (can't because it is less than 24 hours notice), would have gone somewhere else. As it was, just put down towels in the bathtub since wasn't sure how clean it really was. I am not being snobby in this review. This place was awful, especially considering the reputation this company normally has. Again, if had not been charged for the night (nonrefundable), would never had stayed.

Room Tip: Would not recommend. Do not secure with credit card if travelling and desperate. Insist on inspect...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank travelbuddy753
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear travelbuddy753,

Ben J

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I do not usually take the time to write reviews, but we were so displeased with our stay I wanted to warn people to not stay at this hotel. To begin, we arrived and decided to spring for valet. We pulled into the valet lane and after about 10-15 minutes of waiting behind a parked car I went to the front desk and asked if there would be someone helping us in valet. The female working the front desk proceeded to tell me the valet was purposefully shorthanded because the valet was complaining that he wasn't making any tips but the other valet employees were. She said the manager was trying to show him how much work was actually needed so he would not be so lazy. That's just what I want to hear. Needless to say, we checked in and Sam was helpful with the check in. We got to our room, I was impressed with the large size of the room, but the carpet was dirty, the bed was as flat as a pancake, and the kicker....You can't even adjust the temperature of the room. The room was very warm and when we called to have someone fix the a/c we were told a maintenance engineer would have to come up and look at it. The wifi was not working, we inquired about this and were told we could call some 3rd party company in India to have it looked at (not worth my time). So we decided to go out for dinner. When we came back we went to our room and the a/c had not been fixed, I walked downstairs and the front desk was inundated with what appeared to be some sort of police crime scene. I cannot blame the hotel as things happen, but at that point we were told maintenance is not 24-7 and that the ENTIRE hotel temperature was controlled by one thermostat. This isn't the 1920's why can I not adjust my temperature? Apparently everyone who stays at this Crowne Plaza likes a 78 degree room. Furthermore, after 3 requests for a fan, 2 physical visits and 1 phone call we gave up and tried to go to bed. The walls were so thin and the door had such a gap that we were started every time one of our rude neighbors slammed their door shut or decided to have a fight. At 3 am, when we probably had just fallen asleep due to the noise and heat, one of the guests decided to scream at the top of her lungs "get out your room" about 75 times and was pounding on the walls and was completely uncontrollable. We called the front desk to intervene and the woman on the phone could even hear the screams. Eventually those guests were asked to leave the property. We didn't feel safe at this hotel. Oh lastly, there was only 1, yes that's right 1 towel in the bathroom. Hmmm, a king size room with 2 travelers and we get one towel. We ended up leaving early that morning and on my way out I asked for the general managers information, the staff seemed to think we, the guest were a burden and because of this I will NEVER stay at a Crowne Plaza hotel again, or any of the IHG brands. This location is a disgrace to the brand, is in desperate need of renovation, and should take a moment to train their staff that travelers are the reason they have a job in the 1st place. This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at and I travel a lot.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear mirasoot36,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Staff was great, breakfast was great didn't get to try lunch & dinner.
The room was great just a couple stains on one of the lamps.
I enjoy sleeping with my house being kind of cold my bf isn't that's his only complaint we don't think the heating/air conditioner was working that's the only problem
Wish I would of explored the hotel more stayed 2nights check in round 9ish pm & the next day went to six flags

Room Tip: See if you can request a room with a balcony. We had a great view of the arch & the water beauti...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jakaria R
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The gentleman who checked us in was very nice and from there they went rapidly down hill.
Escalators and wifi were not working.
When we got to our room a light was out, when the maintenance man arrived he fixed the light after going for a ladder. I asked him what bridge we could see from our room, it was the Martin Luther King one. He then proceeded to give us a lecture on how bad it was that 'England' had taken over half the world at one point then about Hitler then about the England/Ireland problems. No idea what planet he was on!!
I asked for more bath towels as there was only 2 in the room, he asked why as we had 2 already. I did get them after having to explain I liked to shower both at night and in the morning.
The man at reception said to leave the motorcycles just out the front of the hotel, the valet said they had to go down in the garage.
Only 1 regular coffee in the room - I was scared to ask for more.
I managed to find wifi late on in the evening, my husband couldn't get it to work so asked at reception for assistance to be told it's not working - I was standing 10 feet away checking my emails.
Obviously a hotel where the customer is a bother and I won't be returning, even when hell freezes over.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsD16
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear MrsD16,

Ben J

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Customer service is horrible the manager in the morning is terrible and the rooms are filthy stopped up shower and you cant even control your own thermostat in the room some from maintenance has to adjust it for you. great location and okay for a dump if you don't have anywhere else to go and you didn't pay full price for the good luck.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tamera B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Tamera B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Loved this hotel. We had a family reunion for a large group of 30. Most hotels may have been intimidated but this hotel handled the group with ease. Great location. Really nice hotel and rooms. The staff was very helpful. The location really allowed for convenient site seeing. We were able to see: The Arch, City Museum, and The St Louis Zoo. Our favorite part of the hotel was the rooftop pool. We had to drag the kids out of there every day. The staff was really helpful, especially our agent Tina Torgerson and the hotel Manager David. Would definitely recommend and look forward to visiting again in the near future.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a view of the Arch.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family