“Excellent Stay!”

City Place - Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #108 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just finished a 4 night stay here last week during the FIRST Robotics World Championship and enjoyed every day of my stay. I couldn't have asked for a better hotel that was centrally located in a great city. Yes it's an older property but the upkeep is well done. The front desk staff was pleasant, courteous, professional and friendly upon checking in and checking out. My room on the 21st floor was big and comfortable. It was clean, smelling fresh and equipped with just a fridge no micro. The bedding was comfortable which enabled me to sleep peacefully each night. I had a clear view of the Arch from my room which was spectacular!
I did use their business centre but not the fitness room or the pool. There is a restaurant located in the hotel, breakfast was not included with my room rate, but a short 3 minute walk up Pine St is a St Louis Bread (Panera). I did however eat in the restaurant for dinner and found it to be a little on the pricey side. I guess one would expect that when staying at a hotel located in the heart of a major urban downtown.
The Arch is just behind the hotel and I highly recommend that you go up into the Arch to get great views of St Louis and to the east views of the great Mississippi River. Bush stadium is just a hop, skip and a jump away as well as the Edward Jones Dome and the Convention Centre. There was plenty to see and do within walking distance from the hotel and plenty of resturants also.
All in all I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with our property and team. We were thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This hotel was worn down. Ceiling needed painted, carpets dingy, rooms dusty, and no in-room temperature controls. The hotel had a great view of the arch and was in walking distance to Busch stadium. For the price it was ok, but I will look for other alternatives for the next trip.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our property. We are glad you enjoyed our location and it's proximity to the area attractions. We certainly hope you consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed here for on night in March on a road trip. Location is perfect, right next to the Gateway Arch. We were upgraded to a nice room on one of the top floors. The room was huge but has seen better times. Beds were nice and comfortable and we had a good stay there.
With the upgraded room came access to the lounge where we had a nice breakfast with a spectacular view at the arch. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences at our property. We are glad you enjoyed your accommodations and had a good night's sleep.
We look forward to seeing you on your return trip.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was my first time to stay downtown in St. Louis. The hotel was wonderful, and only was about a long city block away from the Gateway Arch. I like to try to see some of the sites when I am in a city, so this was a very welcome bonus. The hotel is a large, but compact hotel. The lobby was nice and the hotel bar was very inviting. I found the staff to be very helpful and they took care of all things very quickly. The hotel was busy, but I think it does serve as a hub for the many groups that come to St. Louis for conventions. It was very family friendly.

My room was great. I stayed in a corner room, so it was very spacious and clean. Imagine my surprise when I walked out on to the balcony, and there right in front of me was the Gateway Arch! I had a perfect view, and would recommend this room location to anyone staying in the hotel. I was up high and on the corner. It was a great night and day shot with my camera. During the day I was able to walk to the Arch, and had a nice time with the short walk and the view. You are also very close to the state capitol building.

The hotel breakfast was also very good. I ordered off the menu, but they had a buffet as well. Food was reasonable.

I would stay in this location again. The staff went out of their way to make things great. The valet was very helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room high up on the corner.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words about our team and the service they provided you with during your recent stay. We were all thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and were able to take in some of the St Louis attractions during your stay.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. I was there from April 9-13, 2014 and had to change rooms within 5 mins of checking in. Unfortunately the 2nd room was even worse. No air conditioning and it was in the 70's all week. I was told by the front desk that they don't have the air turned on. LIES. The air was on in the lobby and in the elevator hallways, but not in the rooms. Granted the a/c units in the room are VERY OLD, but even on high, no air came out. I was told by housekeeping that they don't work. No kidding! It was unbearable. One night I tried opening the window, only to have the window come off in my hands, and no screens whatsoever. I had to put the window back in. Hallways are dirty, old, and dark. Carpeting in the room was badly stained. Fridge didn't work either. Water that I put in the fridge in the morning, was just as warm at night when I came back. The man at check-in was unfriendly and could care less about customer service. When I came back down to tell them I could not stay in that first room, he told me it was too late since I had already checked in. What? How do you know a room is unsatisfactory BEFORE you get to it? He was useless. The young lady on duty with him, Sondra, did try to help me, but he kept coming over telling her she couldn't do anything for me. Unbelievable. A line started to form behind me while she was trying to help me. I turned and told all the people behind me about the extremely hot room and there was no A/C in the rooms. Funny how then someone was able to help me. Unfortunately the second room was horrible too. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. It is so old, out-dated, and not clean. The bathroom amenities were less than half full, meaning the guest before me used the shampoo, lotion, etc and they never replaced it for a new arriving guest. A disgusting place!

1  Thank Sharon_Kay57
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

On behalf of the entire team, please accept my sincerest apologies for the concerns you experienced during your recent stay.
I have shared your comments with the entire team so that each area of the hotel can address those concerns in which their departments were involved.
I am so sorry that we failed to provide you with a comfortable, friendly stay. I do hope you consider giving us a second chance as I know our team is capable of providing you with a great stay.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Downtown for 2 nights earlier this week. I have visited the property several times over the last 10 years when in St. Louis, and unfortunately it seems to have declined over the years. It was disappointing because the property feels as though it has not really been touched since I first stayed there and it really takes away from the experience. I remember my first stay and how nice the Crowne Plaza was then. However today, compared to other properties in the IHG family, it just feels run down and somewhat dirty. Renovations and flashy decorations aren't the only things that make a good hotel, but something needs to be done to bring this property in line with other IHG properties and the competing hotels nearby, if it is to live up to it's luxury name.

Outside of the appearance, there are good things to say about the property. The staff was very friendly and professional (especially the young woman who ran the Concierge Lounge on the 29th floor), the location is great, and the on-site parking garage is convenient. If you are traveling to St. Louis to see the Arch and sight-see, or go to a Cardinals, Rams, or Blues game, the Crowne Plaza is a great home-base that is easy to get into and out of by car or on foot, and close to both the bus and Metro system. If you need a place to stay and value these aspects, the Crowne Plaza will work for you, but you may not feel as though you're getting a higher-quality experience for the price you'll pay per night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IndyTravelMike
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

The team was thrilled to hear you enjoyed the service they provided you with during your stay.
We do hope you choose to stay with us in the future.
Samantha VanDemark - Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Shout out to Afridia in the 29th floor executive lounge. She is the best, so friendly and such a hard worker. She tries to make each guest feel comfortable. This is my favorite of all the downtown hotels.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank tomatogram
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with our team. We will all be sure to thank Alfredia for the wonderful service she provided you with during your stay.
We look forward to your next visit.