“First & Last Stay Here”

City Place - Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #108 of 122 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Just terrible! I'm very disappointed. Terrible guest services, charge extra fees for anything and everything. Rooms were not clean, management was rude and disrespectful. Never staying here again. Save your money and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else! The lobby is more attractive than the rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

I am terribly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay. We want all of our guests to enjoy their accommodations, our team and the service they are provided with.

I do hope that our team was able to resolve your concerns prior to you leaving the hotel and that by doing so they were able to convince you to give us a second chance in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,649)

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is an old property, but it is nice and feels historic. Parking garage is very convenient. Breakfast was very good. Not sure how convenient to the Arch as I was there for business. I liked the old charm (yet modern) my room had.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experiences at our property. The entire team was pleased to hear you enjoyed your accommodations. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed for 5 days over Thanksgiving. After reading some of the reviews, I fully expected to get the worst room in the hotel as we had booked through a third party for a great rate. However, we were pleasantly surprised as I gave my wish list to the receptionist. We requested and received 2 beds, high floor with a view, fridge and microwave, and nonsmoking. She added a bonus of a large room with a sofa for our comfort. All staff were very friendly and accommodating. The view of the arch is outstanding - especially at night. Most importantly, the room was very quiet. That coupled with the comfortable beds made for a great night's sleep. The only complaint was the room temperature. It was stifling hot - but we were forewarned from other reviews and brought along a box fan for our comfort. For some reason you are not able to control the temperature in your room. Adjusting the knobs on the heater/AC did no good. Parking is $10 a night and I believe it is cheaper than the other hotels who also use it. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jandbauburn
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy holiday schedule to share your experiences with our property and team. We were all thrilled to hear you enjoyed your accommodations.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed here for a 3-night business trip last week. Perhaps the expectations had been lowered by the many fairly negative reviews here, but I really didn't have any problem with the hotel. Virtually all of the furniture -- both in the lobby and bar and in the guest room -- is very old and threadbare -- except for the bed. The room was quite large with plenty of closet and storage space. Bathroom small, as reported, but functional. Wish there had been a little more counter space in there. Room included a minibar and mini-fridge and one of the largest ice buckets I've seen in hotel rooms.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and requested wake-up calls were spot on time. Couldn't really ask for more from this hotel, but got a bonus anyway. On Thursday night they host drinks and snacks in the concierge lounge on the 29th floor *at least through the end of 2013). This is complimentary, and it was very relaxing to gaze out at the Gateway Arch all lit up drinking wine before dinner that night. The room cost also included a continental breakfast up there on weekday mornings. This is not for all rates booked, but my rate included this very nice perk.

If you don't mind the older and worn furniture and want reasonable overnight prices in a very gook downtown location near the arch, the ballpark, and the convention center/football stadium complex, I do recommend this hotel. If not, stay across the stree at the Hyatt Regency and pay considerably more.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with our property and team. We were all thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations while in St Louis. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza this past weekend for a convention and was not disappointed. The hotel is located in the heart of the city with breathtaking views of its most popular monument: The Arch! We had some pretty good views from our balcony and you definitely need to request a higher floor in order to admire its splendor. The hotel room itself was huge with all the little things you would want from a hotel room: Microwave, mini-fridge, hair-dryer, ironing board, etc. The hotel staff was very friendly and there is always a bunch of cabs located right outside the hotel. The cab fair from the airport to the hotel was $46 including a $6 tips for the driver. Definitely a great choice while staying inn st-Louis.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our property. Our team was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, it's location and team.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Travelled with a group for pro football weekend--must have overwhelmed staff--restaurant couldn't handle breakfast with long lines and no coffee in room (due to poor maid service) or any in lobby--they suggested I go to another hotel for a coffee shop--towels were not provided on 2d day tho soiled ones were taken away--all in all one of the worst hotels our group ever had and we always try to go first class--there are at least five other hotels equally close to stadium and we will not go back to this one

• Stayed: November 2013

Please accept my sincerest apologies for failing to meet your expectations during your recent stay. I can assure you the issues you encountered during your stay are not typical of our property.
It is difficult, at times, to serve each guest quickly when many decide to visit our restaurant at the same time. I am sorry for your wait, but, am sure the team appreciated your patience.
I do hope you consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I were at your hotel last weekend (November 16th) for my 21st celebration of my 29th birthday. You pleasantly surprised me with Asti and chocolate covered strawberries. The view of the Arch was amazing and all of the other personal touches that your staff showed us was truly appreciated.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daisybug29
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at City Place - Downtown St. Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of you birthday memories. We look forward to seeing you again next year.