“Great staff, average hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown

Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown
Ranked #101 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Lima, Ohio
“Great staff, average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

The staff at this hotel was great! The waitress, I think her name was Sherri remembered what our entire group ordered for breakfast and was ready for us the next day. Everyone I encountered was helpful and friendly. I agree with the other reviews that state the hotel needs updating. There were holes in the tile in the shower. The price seemed fair though at $99. The bed was comfortable, Internet reliable, and great tv access. The parking garage was not the best and hard to access.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear lavau610,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We take our guest comments and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
St.Louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a travel agent and have stayed at this Crowne Plaza over 50 times within the past few years. I send many clients to their hotel chain and I never want to send anyone to this hotel nor a Crowne Plaza because of our last experience.

Again, we have stayed at this hotel numerous times to the point where the front desk employee knows us and knows we prefer a room with a balcony. With this being said, I have always loved this hotel and recommended it to all of my friends and family. We have NEVER encountered a single problem at this hotel until two weeks ago.

I booked two rooms, one standard and one suite, as we were there to celebrate my sister's 21st birthday. Yes, we were obviously drinking and having a good time so we were the perfect target to take advantage of. We went out and came back to our room in the AM. At this point after dealing with my sister and friends who all just turned 21, I was exhausted and hadn't been drinking for a while therefore I recall everything that happened from the time we got back to the hotel to the morning when we left. We woke up and starting cleaning the room when I realized my cell phone was missing. Then my sisters boyfriend realized his wallet was missing, my sisters friend's watch and credit card missing and our iPod missing. At this point we were a bit worried because I knew exactly where i had left my phone and iPod. Then I looked in the bathtub to make sure nothing was in there and sure enough all of the contents in my sisters wallet was dumped in the bathtub and her credit card was missing.

We went to the front desk and spoke with the manager. The police were called and we filed a police report. The manager then took me in the office and questioned me over and over again. They completely turned the situation around and forgot that I was the victim, not them. THEY TOLD ME THAT WE LEFT THE DOOR CRACKED THEREFORE IT WAS PRETTY MUCH OUR FAULT. "SOME OF THE DOORS DO NOT LATCH SHUT" I literally felt like I was in a Law & Order show because of how intense the questioning was. At this point they seriously had me questioning ourselves because of how well they were able to drill in my head that it was us being drunk however I wasn't so I wanted to give up and just tell them to forget about the whole thing because we clearly weren't going to get anywhere with this.

I am disgusted in the service, the treatment that I received and the lack of security at the hotel. I will never return and I will be reporting this to the news channels. I take everything with a grain of salt and go with the flow so I'm not one to make a big deal out of bad hotel experiences but this is above and beyond.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MandiMay
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear MandiMay,

Krysllin G.

Travelers are raving about these Saint Louis hotels

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

The hotel is older and could use a few updates. The heat/AC is a little tough to control. The Hotel Staff was excellant. Tlhey were very friendly and helpful. Beds were very comfortable, lots of pillows. Location is great and within walking distance to most attractions. Food in restraunt was good. We were on 27th floor and had very good view of city and the St. Louis arch. Will stay here again. parking garage is tight and can take a long time to exit during busy times.

Burlington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a reservation for 2 rooms for one night only. A few days prior to check in I called to modify our reservation and Drew told me was granted. At this time I also requested a roll away for one of the rooms and was told it would be there for us. Upon arrival we were a little early but they had one of the rooms ready for us! They let us check in early and the front desk attendants were awesome. They advised the other room wasn't quite ready but that was no problem. They told us that the second room would be near our first room and even gave us dinner recommendations and everything! (which ended up being great!) When we went to check in to the second room all the problems started. Angela was the front desk attendant at this time and was very very rude. Also the second room was now not near our first and she had blamed the switch on the manager. Not only was it not close to the first room it wasn't even on the same floor, and not only was it not on the same floor it was 7 floors below our first room. We asked to speak to the manager and stood in the lobby for 15 mins before someone told us he was busy and we should just go to our room and he would call. After getting back up to our room we noticed that the roll away requested was still not in the room. The manager, Mike, did call us about 10 mins after getting to our room and told us that he was sold out but could move the second room closer and that he would also make sure a roll away was sent up to us. He brought the keys to the new room up to us personally and the new room was right across the hall. Seemed nice enough and his words made me feel as if this mishap would be the last of our problems and maybe I was a little more heated due to the rudeness of Angela. However, we left to go to our event and returned to our room at 1am and there was still no roll away. So after asking yet again for one and having to explain to the gs rep. our whole issue and that Mike had said he would take care of the roll away charge she sent one up. She also had mentioned that maybe there was just a mix up because the roll away had been sent to the other room we had. However, I didn't think anything of it and agreed it must have been another mix up until the next morning when our friends sleeping in that second room mentioned they didn't have the roll away either. Also, when things start to go wrong you start to notice and get upset about the little things. Our room had less than a half roll of toilet paper, and we were too nervous to ask for more as we didn't want to bee seen as "that room" from complaining. There was a small piece of broken glass on our bathroom floor, which i took a picture of in case they didn't believe us. This made me concerned that maybe the bathroom hadn't been cleaned or swept thoroughly. And there was no alarm clock in our room no was there bar soap to wash hands or body with. The hotel overall seemed nice and clean, but I would probably not stay again in the future in fear I might have a repeat of what happened this time. Mike was great and tried to accommodate, and the front desk girl with red hair and the other girl with long black wavy hair who were working about noonish on the 2nd were also very awesome! Kuddos to them...negative remarks to Angela. And I would also like to mention the beds are extremely hard and the pillows are so flat and worn they are very uncomfortable.We didn't even venture to the pool area or really any other area of the hotel as we didn't have much time, also we were nervous to walk around the desk a lot while Angela was working because it just felt so awkward to us as she probably knew we complained about her and her attitude. I am sure glad I didn't pay the rack rate of $185 for that night or I would have been very annoyed.

Room Tip: The view from the upper level rooms on the East side have a great view!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear vacayready3788,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is our regret that you were not satisfied with this particular stay. We are truly sorry about the issues you experienced regarding room allocation and the shortcomings of our staff. We always want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations.

We appreciate your feedback and we are confident the hotel will continue working with their staff to improve the level of service offered for future guests or your next visit.

Lera P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Greeted by the sales manager, Rodney who talked with us until one of the checkin agents were available. Very nice. Nice lobby and large hotel. Hotel staff were quick on valet, knowledgeable about local dining options and the atrium lounge was reasonably priced. Good location downtown near restaurants and i understand part of the hotel looks out at the Arch. Bed and pillows were comfortable. Room was hot. Temperature is controlled by all rooms but you have a knob to turn for your preference. I had mine set to cooler and it was hot, most likely in the 72+range where I prefer 68 degrees. Needless to say, I did not sleep well due to the heat. While in the shower the next morning I realized housekeeping had left lotion and conditioner but no shampoo. Too late to call downstairs - so disappointing. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Servers were all very nice and prompt but the food and menu left much to be desired and was not typical of Crowne Plazas, in my experience. For example, my napkin had someone's lipstick on it, ordered hot tea and it was Lipton but they have Twinings in the room, not sure why that was not available. Buffet looked like it had food because they leave the napkins on the handles. Several people went up to find there was no buffet. Suggestion: remove the napkins or place a sign on the buffet. I ordered fruit and dry toast. Ate the top piece and then realized butter packets (who knows if the outsides are clean) were under the toast. Therefore, I didn't eat that piece. Food experience was more along the lines of a diner than a Crowne Plaza breakfast. Overall, good value for the price but I would eat breakfast somewhere else.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank michael h
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to share your experiences with our hotel and team.
I am sorry to hear that you did not sleep well during your stay. Our ownership understands that individual control of each guestroom's temperature is imperative to a comfortable stay for our guests and is working on a solution to this issue.
I have also passed your comments onto our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager so that they may address the concerns you had regarding your experience in our restaurant. I am terribly sorry you did not enjoy your meal.
Again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We do hope you choose to stay with us in the future.
ashley, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here and found it to be very nice. Rooms were a little on the small side, and a little too warm. We stayed on the 25th floor which I'm sure why the room was a little warm, it wasn't unbearable though. The bed was very comfortable and the view from our room was spectacular. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to share your recent experiences with our property and team. The entire team is pleased to hear you got a good night's sleep and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to St Louis.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This is a very old hotel. But not in the classic luxury, ornate lobby, crystal chandelier in the bath kind of way. Old in the it's too close to heavy traffic & too big to tear down kind of way. It did get a facelift 7 yrs ago; I remember b/c I stayed there when there was no carpet in the hallways. Several of the rooms I've had since then were suite size, but this wknd'd digs were a weirdly shaped end room w/ a great Arch/river view. The baths, while spiffed up, are tiny. There's an old rooftop pool, & a roomy & comfortable lobby lounge w/ a great mural of 19th century riverfront StL behind the bar.

The location of this former HI is superb. Across the street from the Arch, it's also nearly equidistant from Busch Stadium & the football dome, each about 12-15' walks. Laclede's Landing & the Wash. Ave. dining & club districts are also w/i walking distance. Nearest Metro station about 4 blocks. And be advised the underground parking garage is like a medieval catacomb.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sam V, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Downtown, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at our property. The entire team will be pleased you enjoyed your accommodations, the hotel's location and the view from your guestroom.
We look forward to seeing your during your next visit to St Louis. Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza St Louis Downtown.