“Great location, Old Building”

City Place - Downtown St. Louis
Ranked #111 of 123 Hotels in Saint Louis
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, but this is my first time staying here while it was a Crown Plaza. I visited this hotel with my three kids. Our room was large, the bathroom was large, and the beds (linens and pillows) were excellent. The major problem with the room was that it was always warm, no matter if the air conditioning was on all the time. This hotel is old, and it truly shows in the hallways and bathrooms. My parents had a suite and it was larger. The pluses of this hotel is definitely the location, you can get to anywhere downtown from here. We chose to eat at different places downtown instead of eating on site. The beds were good and the room was clean. The negatives are there is always a line at the checkout desk, wait for elevators are long, the hotel is old, and little air conditioning in my room. I would stay here again if the price was under $100.

Stayed: October 2007
5  Thank cjsclark
Write a ReviewReviews (1,654)

Reviewed October 28, 2007

I travel alot for business, and whenever I come across a place that I would warn travelers to stay away from, or a place that really impressed me, I make an attempt to contribute to TripAdvisor.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel in St. Louis (downtown) was truly a gem. The price was great, service was outstanding, and accomodations were very relaxing.

The staff was awesome. I forgot my cell phone charger, and was asking the front desk if they knew of a computer store close. She immediately dragged out a box of forgotten chargers, and none fit. She didn't give up. She called the manager, gave him the brand name of my phone, and within 10 minutes, he appeared, with the correct charger (which he gave to me). Now that is customer service. I even made it a point to compliment the manager of these two individuals.

When I walked into the room, I felt immediately at home. Microwave, refrig, flat screen TV, sleep comfort beds and fluffy comforter, and to top it all off, a little mesh bag with ear plugs, eye mask and a relaxation CD, which I used and fell asleep in minutes. I will definately stay here on my next business trip!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank SammiSD
Reviewed October 25, 2007

This is the worst Crowne Plaza I have ever seen. I got upgraded to a suite. It was very big. It was actually a one bedroom apartment with a great view of the arch. The problem is that it was very, very old, grungy and worn out. I don't know if they are updating rooms in the hotel but I would have much rather had a newer small room with a double bed than a full suite in this condition. I would expect something like this from a Holiday Inn, since they don't do as good a job of keeping a standard of quality but I am suprised to see it from Crowne Plaza. I would highly recommend the Hampton Inn two blocks away. I have stayed there many times and wish I had this time. It is much nicer and a little cheaper.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 28, 2007

After reading the reviews posted here I was a bit worried about my stay. I was pleasantly surprised upon my arrival. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. When compared to the Milennium, Renaissance, Drury, Hilton and Sheraton the beds were the most comfortable I have found in downtown St Louis. The beds had 2 pillows per person and 1 decorative pillow. The room and bathroom were clean. We had 5 people in the room and only had towels for 3 and no bedding for the sleeper sofa. One call to housekeeping and 5 minutes later we had sheets, pillows, blankets and towels. We only experienced 1 major wait for an elevator and that was because a convention had just let out and everybody was trying to get back to their rooms. Our check in was quick and painless as was check out. Will stay here again on future trips to see the Cardinals!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank pyanders
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We booked a suite. It had a stuning view of the Gateway Arch, this view was however obscured by the smeers all over the huge window.
The room was filty. Our bare feet stuck to the floor in the kitchen area and bathroom. The countertops were dusty and marked and the kitchen sink was stained.
There was no bedding ready for our children and the room had not been hoovered.
The final straw was that in the morning after spending the night in bed I discovered a visible blood stain on the mattress. The sheet was also stained.
I would not recommend this hotel. The public areas are grotty and dirty, the rooms are not cleaned on a regular basis.
We paid $199 each night and this is robbery.
Stay at the Hilton or Millenium Hotel.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed September 2, 2007

This place is more a 3 1/2. We had a 1 bedroom suite and a double queen room. Both were attractive, spacious and comfortable. The hotel is older and the lobby area looks shabby. We wanted to use valet but could never find attendants and service was so-so. The hotel location made up for it as it is near the Arch and the expressway. I would stay here again but those looking for a typical Crown Plaza experience may be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank leo21
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Haven't slept that good in years in a hotel! This hotel has seen better days but the good nights sleep I had - it didn't matter. Check-in and check-out was horrible. Only one person at the front desk - which means it took forever to get checked-in (at midnight) and forever to get checked out the next morning.

The room was large and very comfortable. But like I said, this hotel has seen better days and need a bit of refurbishing.

• Stayed: August 2007