“They have got a lot of work to do.”

City Place St. Louis Downtown Hotel
Ranked #105 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
Deer Park, Texas
“They have got a lot of work to do.”
Reviewed October 25, 2007

This is the worst Crowne Plaza I have ever seen. I got upgraded to a suite. It was very big. It was actually a one bedroom apartment with a great view of the arch. The problem is that it was very, very old, grungy and worn out. I don't know if they are updating rooms in the hotel but I would have much rather had a newer small room with a double bed than a full suite in this condition. I would expect something like this from a Holiday Inn, since they don't do as good a job of keeping a standard of quality but I am suprised to see it from Crowne Plaza. I would highly recommend the Hampton Inn two blocks away. I have stayed there many times and wish I had this time. It is much nicer and a little cheaper.

• Liked — View of the arch.
  • Disliked — The poor shape of the facility in general.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Ellettsville
Reviewed September 28, 2007

After reading the reviews posted here I was a bit worried about my stay. I was pleasantly surprised upon my arrival. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. When compared to the Milennium, Renaissance, Drury, Hilton and Sheraton the beds were the most comfortable I have found in downtown St Louis. The beds had 2 pillows per person and 1 decorative pillow. The room and bathroom were clean. We had 5 people in the room and only had towels for 3 and no bedding for the sleeper sofa. One call to housekeeping and 5 minutes later we had sheets, pillows, blankets and towels. We only experienced 1 major wait for an elevator and that was because a convention had just let out and everybody was trying to get back to their rooms. Our check in was quick and painless as was check out. Will stay here again on future trips to see the Cardinals!

• Liked — Comfortable Beds
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank pyanders
Peoria
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We booked a suite. It had a stuning view of the Gateway Arch, this view was however obscured by the smeers all over the huge window.
The room was filty. Our bare feet stuck to the floor in the kitchen area and bathroom. The countertops were dusty and marked and the kitchen sink was stained.
There was no bedding ready for our children and the room had not been hoovered.
The final straw was that in the morning after spending the night in bed I discovered a visible blood stain on the mattress. The sheet was also stained.
I would not recommend this hotel. The public areas are grotty and dirty, the rooms are not cleaned on a regular basis.
We paid $199 each night and this is robbery.
Stay at the Hilton or Millenium Hotel.

Stayed August 2007
Park Forest, Illinois
Reviewed September 2, 2007

This place is more a 3 1/2. We had a 1 bedroom suite and a double queen room. Both were attractive, spacious and comfortable. The hotel is older and the lobby area looks shabby. We wanted to use valet but could never find attendants and service was so-so. The hotel location made up for it as it is near the Arch and the expressway. I would stay here again but those looking for a typical Crown Plaza experience may be disappointed.

• Liked — Great location and comy rooms
  • Disliked — Lackluster service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank leo21
Denver, CO
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Haven't slept that good in years in a hotel! This hotel has seen better days but the good nights sleep I had - it didn't matter. Check-in and check-out was horrible. Only one person at the front desk - which means it took forever to get checked-in (at midnight) and forever to get checked out the next morning.

The room was large and very comfortable. But like I said, this hotel has seen better days and need a bit of refurbishing.

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Laura B
Oklahoma
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We booked our hotel through hotwire for a 3 night stay. After booking the hotel we started reading the reviews on it. I could not believe all of the bad things people were saying about it and it did start worrying me about what we got ourselves into.

This is an older hotel but it is going through some updating now. The room that we got was great. It was very spacious with2 queen beds, living area, and kitchenette. The beds were heavenly and they left a little gift on the bed (sleep CD, to help relax, lavender scent to spray on the pillows, ear plugs, and an eye mask). The last two are wonderful for people who have spouses who like to watch TV late at night. Pillows, what can I say, each bed had 5 of them and they were the most comfortable pillows I have ever used. The bathroom was very nicely decorated.

Hotel staff were all very polite and professional. They went out of their way to help in any way that they can. I had them do some internet searching for me since I was on vacation and didn't want to bring a notebook with me.

The garage was not scary like other reviews claims. It was always being patrolled by security. I felt very safe in it. When you get your ticket for the garage just take the ticket to the front desk and they will validate it for you. This way you will not be paying the $10.00 a day fee. How nice is that?

The hotel location is great! It is just a few blocks from the Busch
Ballpark and the Gateway Arch. There is plenty of nightlife surronding the hotel.

This hotel is a wonderful place that I would gladly go back to.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OklahomaPrincess
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I reserved this room becaue I found a great deal for it online. After I made the reservation I saw many negative reviews and got really nervous. In the end, I was glad that I decided to stick with this hotel because most of the negative reviews are totally exaggerated.

I had a nice room with a fantastic bed on the 20th floor. The room and the bathroom were a little small but I couldn't complain for what I paid. Plus, the room had a view of The Arch, the Old Courthouse, and Busch Stadium. The room was quiet and the housekeeping staff did and excellent job.

Parking was not the greatest situation. Yes, the garbage dumpsters are in the parking lot right next to the side entrance to the hotel so it was impossible to get in and out without smelling garbage. However, we didn't pay for parking the entire time we stayed at the hotel so I can put up with a smell for the 1 minute walk from the garage to the hotel. We did validate the ticket before we left each day (the front desk is on your way from the elevator to the parking garage so it was hard to forget) but we never paid anything and there were no parking charges on our bill.

The rest of the experience was great. The staff was very nice and knowledgable, the hotel was clean, and all of the elevators were working. I would recommend the Crowne Plaza to anyone looking for a nice affordable place to stay in St Louis

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Smelly parking garage
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple