“Lovely Middle Eastern family cafe”

Central Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #37 of 65 Bakeries in Saint Louis
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Lovely Middle Eastern family cafe”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Thanks to Groupon, I tried the Central Cafe and bakery this weekend. Wow! The food was fantastic, the prices were very reasonable, and the people were wonderful.
My friend and I each ordered a different meal so we could share. She ordered the grilled chicken--fabulous--truly fabulous. And, I ordered the lamb kabob. The amount of food was staggering. Although, do not worry, I ate everything except the pattern on the plate. The rice was good (and I am a rice snob) and the fatoush was great. Oh- how I love onion. When one orders the chicken, the server will warn that it will take 30 minutes or so. No, problem. We drank our soda and talked with one of the owner's daughters. Lovely girl with a really bright future. Her name, which escapes me this second, means "dreams". Isn't that a great name to have? When the food was served, her dad came out of the kitchen to check if we were happy. Nice family.
Ok- now to compare and contrast Middle Eastern restaurants in the St Louis area. We had gone to Ranoush in Kirkwood the week before. Ranoush's food was good, the servers were pleasant, and the decor was lovely. Also we loved glass tea glasses in the filigree holders. Now at Central Cafe and bakery the food was fabulous, the decor more basic, but best of all we were treated like family. Everyone was so warm and inviting. Our only regret was that we could not stuff in another morsel. We did take the pistashio candy home with us and a soft "shortbread type" cookie. Although I swore I could not eat again this week, I nibbled on them as soon as I got home. Both were gone before I knew it.
Which restaurant would I return to? Central Cafe.
If you go there, there is a cute boutique-y womens shop across the street. Again the name escapes me. They had classically styled clothes, jewelry, and interesting items like the i-phone gloves.

• Visited December 2011