“Oh, the drinks here are soooooooo good!”
Review of Taste

Taste
Ranked #249 of 2,946 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Sit at the bar...watch the bartenders, and gain access to a bit of a show! They are amazing! This isnt your standard 'rum and coke' bar...these guys have amazingly complex drinks that are amazing. I dont drink often, but this place really pushes me! I recommend staying at the Chase as the perfect 'dessert' to and evening here. Have a few drinks...and walk 'home' for the evening! What a great weekend!

Oh....the food?? FABULOUS! Couldnt be better. I love the small bites menu. From the chicken liver pate (missing last weekend... ;( ), to the pastas, salads, etc. I love it all! Such a fabulous place.

Its a bit small, and can be just a tad loud....but worth it! Try a table outside when the weather is right!

Such a great place...cant wait to go back. Actually, i think i will head there this evening! :)

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We dropped in to try one of their specialty cocktails and ended up spending the evening.

We were a group of four and all ordered different cocktails, classic ones as well as house specialties. So we tasted and compared each others orders. All were well prepared and delicious. A nice quirk is the variety of glassware, cups, mugs, etc, that the different drinks are served in. Lots of fun to see what one gets next.

Their food is mostly small plates, Tapas style. We ordered a variety of items and found each one to be excellent. Consequently, we ended up ordering an additional round (or two) of drinks as well as additional food items.

Service was attentive and prompt despite this small restaurant filling to capacity during the time we were there. Noise level was always acceptable.

Honestly, it was one of the most fun and enjoyable nights we have had in a long time. Everything, and I mean everything, we had was top flight. Excellent value for the quality received.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I went to Taste with my girlfriend for drinks and food before we met up with a group of friends in the CWE. We had planned on just getting a drink there but ended up getting three or four smaller plates and sharing. Everything we ate made us want more. We even got dessert, which is something we don't do often.
The drinks were great. You can tell that the bartender was passionate about making a great drink. They were balanced, served in correct glassware, and served at the correct temperature.
One of my favorite spots in STL.

Reviewed December 11, 2011

If your goal is casual and you love cocktails, this place is for you.

The bartender is incredible and they even lured this wine girl into having a cocktail (in part because the wine are offerings are so limited).

My friend gave the server two items that she wanted in her drink and the instructions to "make something fun with them." They added lavender essence and two other ingredients to make a one of a kind drink.

I choose the "Fallspice" which delivered the earthiness of the season along with a little fiery kick on a chilly night.

Beyond the drinks, the menu can be a challenge: We ordered some small plates to share.

And why is it, when you make it clear that you are sharing, that restaurants do not provide serving utensils?

We choose the mussels, the salt cod, and the braised oxtail.

The mussels (and I am VERY picky with mussels) were excellent. The broth mandated more bread in order to not leave any behind.

The salt cod - terrible, yes, terrible. In fact,it was taken off the check. Too Salty (even for salt cod) and bland.

Braised oxtail - redemption after the salt cod - so good that we ordered another.

Finally, a downside that the dessert offerings are an afterthought - none sounded good.

Which is a shame that they can't tap the pastry chef of their sister restaurant next door.

Or, is it a ploy to get you out faster because the small dark space is great for drinking and not intended for lingering diners???? Only Gerard will know.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Taste is located in the Central West End (CWE), St. Louis' mini slice of Greenwich Village. The atmosphere is stylish, cozy, and warm. Headed up by Ted Kilgore, the cocktails are simply SUBLIME!! Ted has created some of the most inventive, tasty libations to be found anywhere. Categorized into taste preferences such as: Tart, bright, citrus: Crisp, light, aromatic: Full, dark, robust: Tart, spiced, savory. Each $10 bucks and worth every penny!

He has a love for old classic cocktails and has a collection of cocktails books from the 1800s that he uses as inspiration to create original masterpieces.

At his old establishment, Ted had created a Parisian (which was my favorite cocktail of all time) until I then had Ted's Subtle Hustle: Aperol, Cocchi Americano, Lemon, Passion Fruit, and Champagne. OMG! So delish!!

Others you might want to sample:You Can Ring My Bell, El Maestro, Stormy French, Food For Thought.

Taste also also has some delicious small plates. I will admit that the portions are smaller than I expected. The best bet for you money are the match stick thin fries with a lemon aioli, $5 bucks. Very crisp and yummy! Other selections:mussels $10, cheese board $12. I was disappointed with the scallops ( or should I say scallop ).

You will not be disappointed if you are looking for a intimate, classy spot to share a cocktails and nosh with someone you enjoy!

1  Thank europhilestl