“Outstanding Italian Food With Excellent Service”

Roberto's Trattoria & Chophouse
Ranked #7 of 3,335 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, European, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Roberto's Trattoria & Chophouse is rated among the best restaurants in St. Louis. Roberto's will take you on a culinary trip to Southern Italy where you will enjoy classic, traditional Italian cuisine and excellent steaks right here is St. Louis. It's the best Italian restaurant and steakhouse in the metro area for fine dining. Roberto's Trattoria & Chophouse is the perfect answer for travelers looking for the best place to dine in St. Louis.
Reviewed May 26, 2019

We went to Roberto’s restaurant for the first time, and I must say that my husband and I were very impressed. We have been going to Tony’s downtown for 30+ years and have hesitated to try a new Italian restaurant. However, after the passing on of our beloved friend Mr. Vince Bommarito we decided to try a new Italian restaurant in St. Louis County where we live. We arrived early for our 7:00 o’clock reservation, and while briefly waiting for our table we noticed that the lady at the front desk was cleaning the menus. I was very impressed by that. They may do that in other restaurants but I have never seen it. She and the owner were particularly accommodating when we asked to be seated at a table not next to a large group, as our friends who were joining us are elderly and somewhat hard of hearing. The owner went to great lengths to accommodate our request. That was greatly appreciated as we were then able hear each other talk throughout the dinner. We were very impressed with the food we ordered. My husband and I chose to split the Rigatoni Alla Vodka which was exquisite. The homemade rigatoni was cooked perfectly (all their pastas are made in house). As a frequent visitor to Tony’s it definitely rivaled any of Tony’s pastas. The sauce was delicious and the “goodies” in it, lobster, shrimp, and mushrooms were delicious and perfectly cooked. I would like to have the same dish with extra “goodies” added as an option on the menu. We then split the Veal Saltimbocca which was served with prosciutto, cheese, and a white wine/sage sauce. The dish is expected to be salty because of the prosciutto. My husband liked it a lot as he loves salt. Despite knowing that the prosciutto would be salty I found it saltier than I would like, so I will not order it again. To be fair, I do not like much salt on any of the dishes I choose. As a dessert we ordered the Tiramisu which is one of our favorite Italian desserts. It was very good. To accompany the dessert, I ordered a cappuccino. I must say that it was ok but not the best, as it was too dilute for my taste. The wine list is quite extensive and reasonably priced. We had the Chianti Classico Riserva-Gabbiano which was very good, especially after we asked for it to be chilled a bit as it was served at room temperature. As for the service, the waiter who said to call him BB or bald Brandon was great, amicable but polite, and he served the dishes at the pacing we requested. However the busboy was a little too quick in removing the dishes our friends had not finished with. To be fair, he did ask them if they were done, but as there was food still on the plates he should have waited a bit more. Obviously, there is no harm it waiting a bit to see if more food is eaten from checking a first time to checking a second time. Nonetheless, we did not feel rushed and took our time to talk to our friends. As a side note, while the waiter asked us if he could pour more wine for us, we had already poured a second glass for ourselves. It may sound snobbish but in a fine establishment such as Roberto’s the wine in the glass could be checked more frequently so that we would not have to pour it ourselves. On the whole this restaurant is definitely quite the Tony’s of South/West County. In summary, we highly recommend this restaurant and we are looking forward to going back often and trying new dishes.

Reviewed May 23, 2019

Beautiful hidden gem in South County, off the hill. Roberto's is fine dining with a casual atmosphere. They are located in a strip center, but the inside is perfect atmosphere for a wonderful meal. The service was outstanding, including a visit to the table from the owner and his wife. They personally manage the kitchen and the dining room, guaranteeing your experience was outstanding.
Now the food. I ordered the Linguine Alla Pescatora (seafood pasta) while the rest of the table ordered steaks. The pasta was a large portion, including some of the freshest seafood. Pasta is made FRESH daily. This makes a huge difference. True Italian, made fresh single meal at a time. Nobody was disappointed at the table.
I would highly recommend Roberto's to anyone looking for real and authentic Italian in Saint Louis.

Reviewed May 22, 2019 via mobile

Robertos is the best restaurant in the St Louis area as far as I'm concerned. The staff is friendly and is well informed. The restaurant itself is comfortable and is well laid out. The real reason to go to Robertos is for the food. It is always spectacular. All his food is wonderful and there are a few dishes I could eat almost every day. The shrimp Lucia is mouth watering. The Scampi style lobster tails are as good as anything I've ever eaten. I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. I also have to be candid here, I've been eating here long enough I consider Roberto a dear friend. You will not be disappointed if you visit this place.

Reviewed May 4, 2019

Going to Roberto's tonight with a group of friends from out of town. They love going to Roberto's whenever they are back in St. Louis. Excellent service, and superior food, equals an outstanding evening! The minute you walk in the door, you are greeted as if you are someone really special. Roberto serves only the freshest food, and his homemade gelato is a favorite. When I ask my grandkids where they want to go for dinner, it is always Roberto's!!!!

Reviewed May 3, 2019 via mobile

We wanted to try somewhere new and had seen the great reviews for this restaurant.
We ordered lobster bisque and shrimp scampi as appetizers which they split for us.
The bisque was good.
The shrimp scampi was more like shrimp skimpy, they gave us one shrimp each.
I have seen on photos that they give you three shrimp in total but I guess as they split it for us they decided to not bother giving us three shrimp and gave us two instead!
For our main course we ordered the rib eye steak and the cannelloni special.
The steak was average, certainly not worth the money. The cannelloni was not good at all. It was very dry and lacked flavor.
Would not go back or recommend this restaurant. Overrated ,under flavored and overpriced!

8  Thank bridgettel325
RobertosSTL, Owner at Roberto's Trattoria & Chophouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2019

Dear Bridgett/325,
I'm very sorry for your poor experience …...please come back....NOT!!!!
I, and most restaurant owners that I know, don't want you, don't need you as a customer.
You are what the dictionary define a " MISERABLE COMPLAINER!!!!
I just looked up your previous reviews.
Your server checked on you several times, why didn't you say something?
Why people like you don't say anything, or say "everything is fine" and then go home and write bad reviews on social media???
You don't appreciate (or don't know) the quality of this kind of food and perhaps you should stay home, but probably you can't boil water.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from fine establishment and a big THANK YOU for not coming back!!!!

Roberto Zanti