“Best Cajun/Creole food in St Louis”
Review of Riverbend Restaurant And Bar - CLOSED

Riverbend Restaurant And Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: In Historic South Soulard.
St Louis
“Best Cajun/Creole food in St Louis”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We would have never found this place had a friend not pointed it out for us. And it would have been a shame, because it has the best Cajun/Creole food in St Louis at a very reasonable price.

Somewhat out of the way from most places, this small corner restaurant near the AB Brewery always seems to be busy. Fridays and weekends before 9pm you are likely to have to wait until you find a table, but it is worth waiting, the food is fantastic! They don't have a large menu, but everything we've had there has been great. I highly recommend the crawfish etoufee and you should leave some room for any of the great desserts.

Don't miss it.

• Visited April 2014

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Nice lunch”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Family took us here for lunch and the food was tasty, but not spectacular. I had Cochon de Lait Po-boy "dressed" which was very tasty, but did not come with any sides, and none were offered. I would have liked to have something else other than a sandwich on a plate. My husband had the Riverbend Po-boy "dressed" which was also tasty. The special of the day was a huge burrito which was ordered and devoured by another family member. In all a decent lunch experience and we will return to try more of their menu. Great atmosphere and well worth a visit when in the South Soulard/Benton Park area.

• Visited April 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“I found it!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

For years I've been looking for an authentic Cajun/Creole restaurant in Saint Louis. I found it. Riverbend, located in South Soulard in the shadow of the world's largest brewery has great food and a typical NOLA neighborhood feel. It's not a big place, but the tables seemed to turn over just in time as diners arrived. We waited about 5 minutes for a table.

The food is excellent. Both the owner and the cook are native Louisianans and you can taste it in the food. I had Etoufe which was creamy and delicious and the portion was big enough to have it for a second time at home. Gumbo was flavorful with plenty of meat. My wife had crab-stuffed shrimp which were very tasty and a salad that was big enough for her and for lunch the next day for both of us.

Speaking of the owner, he came by our table to make sure everything was alright, always a nice touch. Riverbend isn't easy to find, but it's well worth it. Oh, btw, the prices are very reasonable. And, FYI, red beans and rice day is now Tuesday. Enjoy.

• Visited March 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Good Creole/Cajun food”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We went to Riverbend in March, 2014 and we were pleasantly surprised. I have lived in St. Louis all my life and just recently discovered this restaurant. It's kind of tucked away in an area in South Soulard, near the brewery so a bit hard to find and not really near any of the other restaurants in Soulard. The food was wonderful, the owner asked us how we enjoyed our meals as we were leaving which is such a nice touch and doesn't happen very often at restaurants. The service was great, despite it being super busy on Fat Tuesday. Our party had gumbo, etouffee, beans and rice with sausage, po' boys...all the standard cajun fair. Everyone enjoyed their meal.

I do not think they can do large groups, the restaurant is very small and there are only a few tables designated for groups of 5 or more. The decor is very much New Orleans themed and we were there right after the big Mardi Gras celebration in St. Louis so there was a lot of green, purple and gold! Not sure if that's a permanent thing or because of the timing but it was a fun atmosphere.

We will definitely be back to Riverbend!

• Visited March 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
“VERY GOOD NEW ORLEANS CUISINE”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Great Po boys sandwiches, gumbo and seafood. Right by the AB brewery, little hard to find but seems safe and there is always a good crowd. A lot of daily specials, check the website.
I was born in NOLA and go back every couple of years, this place seems like a local spot you would find there.

• Visited February 2014