“Food not very good, service just so-so”
Review of Bamboo Bistro

Bamboo Bistro
Ranked #327 of 2,978 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This restaurant was the only non-Italian (we weren't in the mood for that) within walking distance of our hotel so we tried it out. First of all it was nearly empty on a holiday weekend. Not a good sign. Then, on the menu it states, "Please inform us of any allergies as not every ingredient is listed in the menu description" (paraphrasing). I'm severely allergic to peanuts so I chose something that looked good on the menu and then when the waiter arrived, asked him if it would be safe for me to eat. He laughed at me! Like... really? It made me really second-guess his reliability. I'm not sure what's so funny about anaphylaxis.

I ordered the Seafood Curry which was very strange. It wasn't exactly a curry... it was 80% vegetables, which is fine, and the sauce was very thin and just spicy enough. But the seafood was scant, and not that tasty. There was no salad, rice/noodle, soup, etc offerred or included in the $17 price tag. My husband had the Chicken Curry, which for some reason did come with rice and was exponentially spicier than my dish. I tasted his and it was also just so-so. Nothing special.
If we lived nearby, we would not frequent this place.

1 star for atmosphere: really really awful easy listening tunes were blaring the entire time we were there - Celine Dion, Journey, etc...

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Located close to the Arch, restaurant offers a variety of Asian food (Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese), which is nice, but the problem is that none (at least none of the dishes our party of 4 tried) were particularly well executed. Not terrible, but not good either. Service was a bit slow even though the place was almost empty.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The restaurant was fairly empty and that never is a good sign but so was downtown for some reason...well, it was hot. REALLY hot. Anyway, this place was nice and had a/c! (plus it was next door to my hotel)

I had the low mein with beef which tossed in a light but filling sauce with a few veggies. It was pretty good but had a real Pan Asian taste, if that makes any sense.

The menu had a little bit of everything and when you call yourself an "asian" restaurant it dilutes specialty foods. The plates were a little pricey but the place looked a bit upscale, so I guess I should have expected it.

The server/host was nice but seemed like he didn't care if I was there or not. I got one water refill and didn't hear from him until I pushed the plate to the edge and looked over at him. Then when I paid and was finishing my beer, he was just watching me like he wanted me to leave already...kinda creepy.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

The menu fooled me into trying this place, as it was quite a good mix. But the service is horrendous and the food below average. Singapore noodles were wet heavy noodles instead of light airy rice noodles. It took 15 minutes before a waiter appeared (lucky I had a newspaper with me) it was 30 minutes till the soup appeared. I was ready to call the hotel and cancel my room since it appeared I was going to be here for the night. In summary, the worst service I have had all year. Stay away.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

After visiting the Arch,we decided to walk into the city to grab something to eat.Thanks to Google,we found this little nice restaurant.I really like the vibe I got from the restaurant.It's classy yet very laid back and casual.The food was good and we had a wide variety to choose from the buffet.