Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown
Ranked #14 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Wonderful Experience (!) and an enormous surprise. I am a seasoned business traveler and a professional in the hotel industry but this time was traveling with teenagers for business reasons and almost dreading the trip. Room was an executive suite and very large. The sheer size of the room made the stay far more enjoyable. Room was booked at the last minute and the ANGEL who took my reservation gave me the last room in the hotel on a busy weekend. I could kiss her. Location of the hotel is perfect. It's the closest hotel to the Edward Jones Dome. If you EVER have to travel to St Louis for a Dome event - stay here. Room was immaculate, gracious staff and a proactive staff. My compliments all the way around.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Let me preface this review by stating that I own a 4 star Bed and Breakfast, where we really understand customer service, have a degree in HRT and cut my teeth working in the restaurants and hotels in New Orleans. I'm really hard to please, owned a high end catering company so I', a food snob and now own a company which furnishes high end hotels. I can't help it - I notice EVERYTHING. I was really impressed with this hotel.
On a weekend where St Louis was hosting a Blues Festival, 3 day Cardinal VS Pirates baseball games, Blues vs Blackhawks hockey playoffs and to top it all off 60,000 high schoolers in the Edward Jones Dome Int'l robotics competition - I needed a room for Friday and Saturday night.
Our group finally found us a room at a Best Value Inn in the WORST part of town for $179/night, yet I was grateful until I googled and viewed photos of the place on-line. I knew this place would never work as I am a mom traveling with teenagers who are the robotics kids.
I did a quick search and found the Embassy Suites Hilton was the closest to the Dome. I called and booked on Tuesday with one of the best reservations agents - ever. She was polite, humorous and competent. i would have hired her. I got the last room in the hotel and was kind of concerned about what kind of room I was getting. "Best available", was the only guarantee. Room rate was $239.
I phoned again on the day of check-in and commented that we would be arriving late. I could not find my reservation number. They knew exactly who I was - my Hilton Honors number, etc.- no problem.
We arrived in the rain - no trouble finding hotel at all. Valet was on spot immediately. Gracious and jovial. So, we checked in. I asked for two double beds because I didn't want to sleep with 15 year old boys in a single king. Reservation clerk shook her head, no, only thing remaining was a king. Oh well....
Arrived in the room and was amazed. We ended up with an executive suite, 5th floor, enormous windows looking out at the entrance to the Dome. We had a 12 person conference table in our suite, a mini kitchen, fold out sofa and lounge chairs, two large flat screens, soaring windows that actually open, excellent updated bathroom and approx 16'x22' master bedroom. Wow. For $239/night? Deal of a lifetime. We were indeed lucky but I credit the reservation clerk within the hotel who was so incredibly good.
As with most conventions, all day long we went back and forth to the Dome - approx 500' walk. No one could believe we ended up with that hotel - let alone that room. We used our room as a base because it was so convenient.
The kids liked the pool although it's quite shallow. Four elevators for guests are a luxury for those of us who do not like to wait. Complimentary breakfast includes made-to-order omelets from a congenial and swift cook. While breakfast is not like you would find in a Bed and Breakfast - it was good. Hotel is immaculate. Could not find a hair anywhere. Housekeeping staff was quite helpful and HAPPY to help - no whining or moaning. Never saw a cigarette butt, even on the street! Movie theater and restaurants are around the corner.
Furnishings are exemplary. Pleasing entry with waterfall to the right and marble floors. Whoever installed the vein-cut Tennessee Rose marble did lousy job - it's cracked but that marble is a bad application for a lobby floor and that's the architects fault.
Furnishings in the Atrium 4th floor restaurant are modern and pseudo Asian. Very pleasing.
Furnishings in the room are meticulous. Where did they order the wallcoverings in my bedroom? I want it. Textured and beautiful and very high-end. We had 14 - 8' tall windows in our suite. The curtains were well made with decorative curtain, sheers and then room-darkening sheer added. Well done.
Bathroom had quartz tops and modern Chinese import vanity with plate glass shower and luxury bath products. Sink was a real Kohler and not a knock-off. New through-body porcelain tile in the shower was inexpensive but perfectly installed and maintained.
HVAC is digital and easy to use.
Lighting plan was excellent. Someone spent a lot of time working out the lighting plan.
NEVER heard a single noise from another room.
Lovely addition of a desk within the master bedroom and a full dresser with easy glides.
Nightstands, bed and linen were standard for an upscale hotel but I LOVED the pillows.

I could not have been more pleased with this hotel.

One more note: With everything that was happening that weekend in St Louis, i was also amazed at the service personnel in restaurants, cab drivers, museums and local police. Everyone was pleasant. We have travelled widely and usually you run into some problem along the way or a disgruntled employee having a bad day...., not in St Louis. So much better than a visit to NYC. We need to spend more time in St Louis.

Room Tip: Choose north side room 545 for the best Executive Suite in the building. It's a gracious and lo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SpahnHouse
Wade T, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear SpahnHouse,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown for your recent stay and for taking the time to review your experience.

Wow! What a joy it was to read your descriptive review. We appreciate your favorable comments on our facility. After just 18 months being open, we are still very proud of our hotel. Such positive feedback from a knowledgeable and discerning guest like you means a lot.

I did want to address your comments on our lobby flooring. You are correct in identifying the vein-cut Tennessee Rose marble. What you may not be aware of, however, is that this is the original marble from the opening of our building as a department store in 1906. The designers chose to maintain the character of this flooring and brought it back to its original luster, however being well over 100 years of use, it has some expected wear. The blending of the historic and the modern is one of the appealing features many have enjoyed while visiting our hotel.

Although we agree the hotel is beautiful, we really appreciate your positive feedback on your service experience. We strive to provide a positive experience for our guests and are pleased that we succeeded in doing so for you.

Again, thank you for your business and for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to St. Louis.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Friendly accommodating staff. Large suites. Hilton Honors members are treated especially well. Very convenient to Edward Jones Dome and convention center. The food was just Okay at the hotel bar but the bartenders were excellent and made up for it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here for one night kicking off a week of training in St. Louis. I found the hotel location to be great. I was very confused about the parking situation when I arrived in my rental car from the airport. As you pull up, valet parking appears to be the only option. I did not see a parking area to check-in as some other ES hotels have. I parked in the valet area, jumped out of my car and checked-in. As it turns out, this is what was supposed to happen. I went with the valet option of $27 a day with full in/out privledges. There is a public lot nearby as well.

I found the front desk staff to be very accommodating. Check-in was smooth. I needed a computer powercord (left mine at the airport) and within 5 minutes I had directions to the nearest Best Buy (10 miles away). This is an older building and I found the hallway plans to the rooms a bit confusing, but no matter. My room was clean and comfortable and had a nice view of downtown. I suggest eating dinner at Pi Pizzeria across the street. Delicious! After a restful night and breakfast, I called the valet number and after a very short wait, my car was pulled up to the front and I was on my way for the day.

A very good stay overall. I have stayed at better Embassy Suites before, but I have no complaints at all about this one. I would stay here again to be sure.

1  Thank GK360

Dear GK360,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown for your stay last month and for taking the time to review your experience.

We appreciate your positive comments on our hotel and are pleased that you enjoyed your experience. It is always refreshing to hear about our staff accommodating the needs of our guests.

Thank you also for your feedback on the parking situation. We are continually striving to improve the experience for our guests and your comments allow us to identify ways to do so. We have reviewed this with our team to determine how we can provide better signage to enhance our guests' arrival experience.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to St. Louis.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We were suppose to stay here last weekend for our anniversary and had booked through Travelocity. Unfortunately our 2 yo daughter became very ill and wound up in the hospital and we had to cancel. Travelocity was willing to refund our money, however when they contacted the hotel they were unwilling to refund Travelocity. So we paid for something we were unable to use due to a medical emergency and the management just didn't care. They are only worried about their bottom line and not the concerns of their guests! We will never stay at an Embassy Suites ever again!

Stayed: April 2013
Wade T, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Kturnbull94,

Thank you so much for taking the time to advise us of your experience. We sincerely apologize for the process challenges you experienced. Your comments have allowed us to research this situation and we have discovered a disconnect has occurred.

We were contacted by Travelocity regarding your desire to cancel your reservation. Naturally, a pre-paid reservation such as this, by rule, is not cancellable. However, we certainly make exceptions for emergency situations, and your situation was certainly an emergency cancellation.

Unfortunately, when our agent was contacted by Travelocity to advise us of your desire to cancel, they did not tell us about your specific situation and our agent upheld the policy of an advanced purchase reservation. I can assure you that if they had explained to her what was preventing you from visiting our hotel, we would have absolutely and unequivocally fully refunded the reservation.

After our research and correspondences with the Travelocity Market Manager, we have refunded them and you will be refunded for the charges you incurred for this reservation. If you do not hear from them within the next week or so, please let me know so that we can help expedite the process on your behalf.

Again, we apologize that you thought we were uncaring to emergency situations and we thank you for your comments which enabled us to identify the cause of your experience. We sincerely hope that you will allow us to serve you on your next trip to St. Louis and will continue to consider Embassy Suites for all of your travels.

Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Embassy Suites was a wonderful place to stay. Our time was two days and the staff and facilities were great. The room service was timely and delicious. The happy hour and the morning breakfast was outstanding. I rate our stay at the Embassy Suites 10+ .

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Large rooms, sleeper sofas for kids, ample breakfast selection, heated pool, and close to so many attractions: the Arch, the Zoo and Art Museum (via Metro Link subway with a stop just around the corner from the hotel), a movie theatre across the street, a Starbucks one block away etc. Pool with jacuzzi was a big hit for our son.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family