“Only problem was valet parking”

Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown
Ranked #14 of 121 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hotel is beautiful and clean. Room was great and spacious, bathroom was a little small. Check in was a breeze. Great breakfast including cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, muffins, cooked to order omlets all included. Hotel also has a nightly happy hour with drinks and snacks. Staff was friendly up until the last night our car was not valet parked. After sitting on the road several hours we asked and were told they were just busy. We went to our event came back four hours later and it was still on the street asked again and was told it was too big to valet (even though they did the night before). I made the comment I shouldn't have to pay $27 to valet park and the desk clerk said "it's not free to park on the street you know". After about 30 minutes one of the girls in my group went down to talk to a manager and he told her it wasn't parked because the keys were lost. He did credit the valet fee for us. My husband went down and the valet told him the ticket they put inside the car was flipped over so they didn't know what keys went to it. We were told 4 different stories! That was my only complaint. At breakfast the next morning the lady behind us said she couldn't leave because they had lost her keys!

Room Tip: We had rooms that faced the Edward Jones Dome so we could see when the line went down and walk over.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just returned from a two day stay at this renovated hotel. It is very unique and has many good aspects to it. The suites are very spacious with plenty of moving around room. The ceilings are very high and it is pretty neat to have such huge windows in the sleeping area to view downtown.

Everything still looks pretty new. I always check a room when entering and found no problems at the time. However, I will say that when we went to bed--all the bedding had a few of what looked like gnats on them. They were not the dreaded bugs people worry about when travelling. I goodled for pictures to make sure. I found 4 in the sofa bed and one each in the other two beds. This did make me a little leary so I called the front desk to inform them and asked if we could be moved. They were very accommodating but didn't really seem to know how to respond to this situation. I had saved the "gnats" on a kleenex and the gentleman that came to our room to give us new keys looked and agreed they were some type of bug he just didn't know what. The main thing he told me was that they don't usually have this type of problem with their hotel.

In our original room I had noticed something odd in the shower on the tile that looked like something should have been there but wasn't. I found out in our new room that it should have been a soap holder in the shower but apparently had been broken off and not yet replaced.

I am happy to say that our next suite did not have any of these issues and I felt comfortable staying there.

Pros:
Nice, spacious rooms
Clean rooms (except for the first room with the "gnat" looking bugs).
Free Breakfast
Close proximity to where we were going
Nice price

Cons:
-Issue with the first room
-Valet parking --somewhat confusing and not nearly enough workers or area. During checkout we had to wait quite sometime. They seemed understaffed. There is only valet parking unless you want to utilize public parking down the street and lug your stuff to the hotel.
-Breakfast area on the second day was way understaffed. We noticed people waiting at least 30 or more minutes for food. They couldn't keep up. It was a very poor set-up. We skipped that line and went over to the made to order omlet station. Much quicker but only one poor lady working the area for hundreds of people.

Overall we would stay again but they really need to work out the breakfast situation as it was very troublesome. You had to be there. I haven't EVER seen a line like that anywhere I have stayed before.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a better view of downtown :).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelmomof3Kentucky
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The staff was friendly and focused on providing superior service. The hotel was very clean, the breakfast and evening receptione were well done. The historic nature of the hotel was very enjoyable. Will be my hotel of choice when staying in St. Louis

1  Thank Tim T
Wade T, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Tim T,

Wow, thank you so much for your rave review of the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown. We sincerely appreciate that you chose our hotel and are pleased you enjoyed your experience here.

In our business, the goal is to fulfill the desires of our guests. As you chose the word "fulfilling," we are pleased we accomplished that goal for you.

As your hotel of choice in St. Louis, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Again, thank you!

314-678-2903

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Planned a "girl's night" downtown---a staycation in STL! The Hotel is beautiful, contemporary and roomy....and the staff completed the overall A+ rating. Very accomodating, and very thorough from the front desk to the valet to breakfast wait staff. Perfect location to get to dinner/casino/bars.

1  Thank JKK100

Hello JKK100,

Thank you so much for choosing the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown for your Girls Night Staycation! We are so pleased you enjoyed your experience here and appreciate your great comments!

With so much to do in downtown St. Louis, it is wonderful to hear about local residents being "tourists" in their own town and we appreciate that you chose our hotel as your downtown hometown destination.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon for your next staycation!

Thank you again for choosing Embassy Suites!

314-678-2903

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed at the Embassy during a recent trip to St. Louis because of the value provided as part of the Hilton Honors program. The Embassy’s a known quantity, with expected quality and standards – this property exceeded both! A renovated department store, the building is solid, over 100 years old – lots of character. Rooms are humongous; high ceilings and two distinct rooms. Unlike typical Embassy’s where there is an open atrium, this property is more like a Hilton, but with a great and unmatched Embassy charm. Since this was a work related stay, I cannot comment on the relative nearness to the city’s ball park nor the new casino – I did see them as I was driving around the area.

Pro: (1) Great friendly staff and property with character. From the folks that check you in to the manager(s) to the bartenders during the Manager’s Reception all were great; (2) The restaurant/bar on the fourth floor serves a full breakfast with made to order omlets; Manager’s Reception in the evening (Bud Light and Blue Moon along with wine and a few snacks). Schlaflys (a local brewery) is also available for purchase. (3) Great GYM and pool – dumbbells from 5 to 50 lbs in 5 lb increments; two adjustable benches (from flat to 90 degree angles); Precor equipment (two Elliptical trainers, one cross trainer; two treadmills; one recumbent bike); cable equipment to be able to conduct push/pull exercises as well as a pull up bar. The aerobic equipment comes equipped with built in television set so you can watch/listen to shows as you work out. The pool is a bit small, only 3 feet deep, but big enough so that you can swim a bit, and yes there is a Jacuzzi – the temperature of the pool is warm so you will not be shivering as you swim. (4) Free Wi-Fi; (5) Comfortable bed in a great room with thick walls – I did not hear any of my neighbors.

Con: (1) The only issue of sort is parking – being downtown, it’s not readily available, but available, but a bit costly. Used the valet, which was convenient during the cold winter spell that hit the city; (2) Depending upon where your room is located, you may have to hike from the elevator to your room, it just adds more to the ambiance of the hotel!

So the next time I visit St Louis, I will definitely book a room at the Embassy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Wade T, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear markNOVA,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown. We appreciate your feedback.

We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton Family as an obvious Hilton Honors member. It is an honor to receive such positive comments from seasoned travellers like you.

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown and for reviewing our hotel. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

(314) 678-2903

Reviewed January 23, 2013

From the time we pulled up to the curb until we checked out, the service at this hotel was excellent! A hot cooked to order breakfast was included and was delicious. They kept the eating area very clean. They also had a manager's reception each night that included drinks and different snack foods.

We also used the pool area and exercise room, both of which were very clean.

Everyone greeted us with a smile! I would certainly stay here again. I've stayed at Embassy Suites before and they never disappoint.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, which is the top floor for rooms. We couldn't hear any other guest...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank swede52

Hello swede52,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites St. Louis - Downtown for your accommodations and for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate your positive feedback.

It is great to hear favorable comments on our facilities and amenities. However, your wonderful comments on our staff really made me smile.

You see, we believe our people really make the difference and we strive to anticipate the needs of our guests. The recount of your experience means we are succeeding at our goal of providing a positive customer experience through exemplary service.

Again, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

(314) 678-2903

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I've stayed in St. Louis many, many times for weekend getaways or Cardinal games. This is the first time I've stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown St. Louis, and I would say this is the nicest hotel in St. Louis that I've found. Everything was amazing! It looks new and is in immaculate condition...both the rooms and the common areas. The beds were the most comfortable I've slept in. The large suite had a refrigerator and microwave, as well as a small sink and kitchen type area.

Three friends and I were in town for a girls' weekend and really appreciated the customer service. We were upgraded to two king room suites for the same price as the single queen suite we had originally reserved. This way we had two bathrooms and larger beds. The hotel also offers a Manager's Special, where all drinks were complimentary, and a huge hot breakfast with made- to- order omlettes in the morning. The room is very large, so we had no problem finding seating, even on a Sat. night and Sun. morning.

The location is also great for anything you choose to do in downtown St. Louis. It's close to Busch Stadium, Edward Jones Dome, Laclede's Landing, and the bars on Washington Street.

I would highly recommend this hotel and wish I could have brought the bed and breakfast home with me! Try it out...you won't be disappointed.