“Excellent choice Downtown!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown
Ranked #13 of 124 Hotels in Saint Louis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We just returned from a 4 night stay at this downtown hotel. What a lovely property! It was quiet, clean and the staff were very helpful. It is convenient to Edward Jones Dome, the Arch, Busch Stadium, the Convention Center and all downtown attractions. The Convention Center Metrolink station is less than a block away to the east. All Forest Park attractions are a short ride by car. We LOVED this hotel and its location. Attended both a Cardinals and Rams game and couldn't have picked a better hotel. Two room suites are perfect for traveling families. Asked for a quiet room away from Washington Ave and got just that. Have never stayed in such a quiet, downtown location. The breakfast was plentiful and very good every morning, even at busy times. The evening reception was a great pick-me-up and loved the Blue Moon on tap. Lots of complaints about no self-parking, but we used the valet and had no issues. We had a gov't rate, so paying for valet on top of the good rate was still a bargain for downtown. Using the valet was so convenient and spoiled us. They were great gentlemen and very helpful. Ordered room service, which was reasonable and delicious! The servings were so plentiful, we had leftovers for the next day. You can't go wrong with this location. Great service, great employees, great hotel!

Room Tip: Washington Ave can be very noisy at night, so ask for a quiet room away from the busy street. A roo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bigmaffy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,399)

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Travelled to St. Louis for a recent "last road trip" before school started. We made reservations for Embassy Suites, uncertain what to expect. Back in the early 2000's these hotels were beginning to show their age. I am so happy to see that they have re-energized this brand. The gentleman who park the cars were extremely friendly as well as all of the hotel staff we met. The 5pm happy hour was a pleasant surprise for our family as well. The kids loved the pool and my husband and I loved the hot tub. We were always able to find towels in the pool room. My husband was impressed by the work out facility as well.

Our first order of business was to visit the Arch. We were able to take a 10 minute walk from the hotel and were there. The park you walk through has a few sketchy characters, but we felt safe. After the Arch we wanted to get dinner. There is a pizza place within a stones throw from the hotel called Pi. The food and beer selection were outstanding.

For the price and amenities, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. However, it looks as though the city is trying to rebuild the "mall" area across the street from the hotel and a number of the new establishments will open in Fall 2012. I would probably go back after that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cdietz19
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Couldn't be more pleased with our stay! Given our experience I was surprised that the ratings weren't even higher. Rooms were spacious, new and clean. Staff was so nice. Location great. Really couldn't have asked for more (which is evident by me even posting this review as I never do). A great experience and would highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Surjaatmadja
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Embassy Suites. Hands down, Curtis, was extremely accommodating and simply a pleasure to work with. The rooms are beautiful and the location is perfect. I felt like they really cared. The staff works together like a practiced orchestra.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I don't believe I have ever had the experience of a hotel moving, but in the case of Embassy Suites and Saint Louis the "move" delivered a far superior Embassy Suites hotel for Saint Louis. Several years ago the Saint Louis ES was on the historic river front Laclede's Landing. A more "traditional E.S. hotel, the open floor atrium style. But a dated hotel showing its age which was eventually sold and renamed.

Fast forward to 2011 and a new Embassy Suites was built along the trendy Washington Street "MX District". If a convenient, walk able downtown location is what you prefer you'll have it here in spades. Washington Street has numerous non-chain dining options from fusion, Italian, Japanese, Caribbean and much more. If for some reason that's not enough there's a light rail "Metrolink" station one block away that can take you further into and past the inner city.

Back to the present hotel; this Embassy Suites is of course new and modern and it's design is also forwarding thinking past the traditional E.S. rising high floor open atrium style of the 90s. While check in and reception is conducted on the first floor, the dining/breakfast area including a separate bar is located on the 4th floor. taking up most of the 4th floor's available space It's very open and spacious with tall ceilings and modern and trendy decor. I was told by a staff member that the atrium area was designed this way -in contrast to the older, rising, open floor designs- to reduce noise. It not only achieves that goal, it also looks very accommodating, and comfortable. The exercise and pool area, -yes there is an indoor pool- is all housed one floor above on 5. Like the rest of the hotel its clean and modern.

Let's talk suites. Once again the hotel took advantage of newer design trends and the suites reflect that as well. Spacious and well appointed, the suites looks much more inviting than the bland toned rooms of older E.S. designs. And back to noise reduction and privacy, each room has a closed wall and with a more private door to isolate you from hallway walkers and other traffic. Privacy wise this is far preferable over just windows with blinds and a thin door between your room and the outside world. Very nice.

The rooms have comfortable, modern furniture; large flat screens; and mini bar with mini refrigerator. The bathroom has a glass walk in shower and the bedroom has a very comfortable king sized bed. The bedroom is well isolated from most outside sounds and of course has it's own larger flat screen as well.

BUt no hotel is perfect so here are the few cons I noticed.

1. The outside front street entrance of the hotel is a floor lower than the interior 1st floor, which includes reception. You have to walk up a few steps to get there with your luggage. There may be other entrances I do not know of but this could be bothersome to others.

2. The cable channel line up is very good. But unfortunately Hilton seems determined to offset their cable expenses with a private service known as Lodge Net. Lodge Net is supposed to inject "targeted" commercials onto your room TV. But reality is at this hotel you get the same two commercials over and over again: an inventor's solicitation ad and a March of Dimes commercial that even listening to it gets very old after just a couple of nights.

3. The glass enclosed shower is a nice touch except it has no way to reach in to get the warm water flowing except by stepping fully into the shower. this makes for some acrobatic maneuvering if you dislike cold shower water.

4. A Minor point and some may find this amusing, and I can't speak for every room but when the toilet paper dispenser was attached to the bathroom wall back during the final building stages someone must have thought that I would need an arm extension workout while keeping the rest of me sitting in place ..elsewhere. Embassy suites, I think it would be fortuitous to sacrifice a little wall paper to move the dispenser closer.

Overall this is one of the best Embassy suites I have stayed at nation-wide. There's nothing like a new hotel and even better when it's an Embassy Suites that was designed and appointed as well as this one. As noted the location simply can't be beat. The morning breakfast is superb and the team hosting it is also. The traditional nightly evening reception is generous and equally well staffed with helpful, friendly people.

When you are partaking in these complimentary venues please don't forget to tip the people, morning and evening, that work hard to make these services enjoyable for us guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed here one night while in St. Louis for a meeting. Great location in DT St Louis, right by Edward Jones dome. Did not get to explore much, but did walk down the street for dinner and were lots of restaurants with in walking distance.

They have Valet parking and there is another garage about 2 blocks away where you can self park. I did self park and valet at hotel told me exactly where to go. But beware, self park garage only takes cash.

Hotel staff was very nice. Lobby was small but fine. Restaurant and fitness center with small pool are upstairs. This is an old historic building so not like a typical hotel, but very nice.

Room was great, just what you expect from Embassy suites. Nice spacious living room with flat panel tv with good HD lineup and very high ceilings. Also a nice wet bar area with sink, fridge and mircowave. Had wired and wireless for high speed. If you are platinum HHonors there's no charge to use high speed.

Bedroom has super high ceilings. Must be 20 feet, so real nice and windows go up to top too. Bed and pillow were comfortable too. Bathroom was very nice and spacious. No tub, nice walk in shower instead and solid water pressure.

Overall, a very nice hotel in a good location in a great old building. Would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was my first time staying at an Embassy Suites and I decided to use my HHonors points for the stay, so I was excited and looking forward to my stay. I was unable to enjoy the manager's reception because I arrived a little after 7pm and check-in took 20 minutes! And I was really hoping to enjoy the reception. The young lady who checked me in was apparently still in training, which was not her fault, more of management's fault. She did not know how to post cash, I could have given a credit card but I know they hold extra money and I really did not want the hassle. The lobby and room (#252) was really nice BUT THERE WERE PROBLEMS that could have easily been taken care of if they were on top of it!
Problem # 1 I could not get the blinds to close so at 9:30 I called to the front desk and spoke with Johnathan and he said he would send an engineer right away; however, after waiting an hour and half I had to call the front desk again. Fortunately the engineer arrived promptly after my second call! The engineer told me they have problems with the blinds all the time (probably should get customer friendly blinds then)
Problem #2 That morning I got ready to iron my shirt, I noticed the ironing board hanger was broke and the iron had something white burned on it.
Problem #3 The sink in the living room area was dirty and I hadn't used it.
Problem #4 When I got ready to check-out, I was owed a deposit of $50.58. The clerk said he could only give my $50.00 and they would have to mail me the .58 (seriously). Stamps are .45 so I think its funny their going to send me a check for .58 (I really do not expect to see it). At first I thought he was joking but he was serious! I really did not care about .58 but it shows inconsistency and ineffectivness on their behalf!
Problem #5 When I tried to voice my concerns with the clerk checking me out, he acted as if he did not care! It was more like, you checked-out so leave!

On a good note, Helen in the breakfast area was very nice and made me a great omelete

Considering the problems I experienced, they're not at the top of my list to visit next time I'm in St. Louis. I frequently visit St. Louis because of my great-grandmother but I'll explore other hotel accomodations next time!

Room Tip: Arrive before 7pm to enjoy the manager's reception that ends at 7:30 pm
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Wade T, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton St. Louis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Mikey952,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry we let the ball drop. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and your comments and specific information are very valuable in our efforts to accomplish this.

Your feedback regarding the blinds in your guest room and the iron have quickly been addressed. We will pass your comments on to the brand regarding options for a different drape design. I’ve reported the dirty sink to our housekeeping team so they can ensure this does not occur again.

Also, I’m truly sorry for your experience at check out. Our staff is very friendly and we would hate for you to think you aren’t valued as our guest, even at check-out and beyond. I apologize for the miscommunication about your deposit and will work to rectify that right away. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we strive for a positive experience for all of our guests.

With Helen being the shining star in your experience with us, we will ensure she is recognized for providing you with the service that you expect from Embassy Suites.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance to experience the quality service that Embassy Suites is known for.

Best regards,