“Good location.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Good location.”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and 2 boys on our annual trip to a baseball filed. My boys are 11 and 8 and we walked to the arch and to the ball field and a few places in between - great location. Rooms were clean, front desk staff pleasant, breakfast was SUPERB as with all Embassy's as well as the great happy hour. My only complaint was the street noise was crazy loud. We checked in late our 1st night (11:30) and had a room on the 2nd floor facing apparently a pretty bust street. When I called down to see if we could be moved the hotel was booked and her response was "oh, your on _____ street. That will be like that until about 3:00. " argh... so needless to say me and one of my sons slept on the couch in the livingroom while my husband and other son slept in the bedroom beds. That would be my only piece of advice if you don't like to listen to LOUD street noise when you try to sleep.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Briana J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
Illinois
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a night as part of a baseball game trip. This is not your normal Embassy. It used to be a department store, so it's set up differently, and we really liked it. The rooms are big and the first thing you notice is the high ceilings. The decor is nice too. This was probably the best Embassy room that I've ever stayed in.
breakfast was good, and there are plenty of seats to go around. I will say that Embassy has slipped a little in their customer service over the past few years and tried to cut some corners, but not so at this property. We didn't go to the manager's reception, but I noticed they not only had Bud Light on tap, but also Sam Adams, Blue Moon and Schlafly. I've never seen this at any Embassy, what a nice touch. I will be staying here again, loved the location and the room!

1 Thank MLB33
Hinckley, Ohio
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Not only weren't we planning to stay at this Embassy Suites, we really weren't expecting to be in St. Louis. Our cross-country trip was extended by one day, so we decided to stop and see the arch, relax a bit, find a swimming pool on one of the hottest days of the year - one hundred two degrees.

Went on-line to book a room for one night; when my wife called to confirm I overheard her say, "Four hundred sixty-nine dollars?" Uh-oh. I shook my head. She mis-heard the real price: $169.00 for she and I, along with her mother and our daughter. Which includes a great breakfast, the pool and spa, gym, and the manager's reception for our wine and Scotch "social lubrication."

It was very easy to find the hotel, we were greeted by the valet parking guy ($27 for the night, unlimited in and out) who was cheerful while sweating in the mid-day sun. Curiously, there was no bell-hop so we loaded our own cart and wheeled it up the elevator to our second-floor room. We later learned that the second is the only floor that has the 15-1/2 foot ceilings in the bedroom, which affords more "perceived floor space," as architects say. The sitting room was great, too, larger than the last two Embassy Suites we enjoyed, with its own television, a mini-kitchen with sink, fridge, microwave and coffee station. We chose the two queen beds, although a single king is also available. HUGE windows, two of which actually open, looking out over Washington Avenue. With the a/c on and the windows closed, even that close to the street the room was surprisingly quiet.

The pool is pretty tiny; with all the vacationing kids it got very crowded and very loud; I hung out in the whirlpool for a while but couldn't take the noise. The gym is a bit small for the size of the hotel, and I imagine that it could be over-used, especially on a busy business morning.

The happy hour and breakfast were perfect. We had walked in the pre-106 degree morning over to see the Gateway Arch and were glad to have the fourth floor breakfast room to cool down. It isn't the typical atrium as in most Embassy Suites, but rather a two-story "great room," nicely divided into large, family-style areas and more intimate, business-style seating. The manager came to our table and spoke with us for about ten minutes about his place, which opened just this past October. I bit my tongue, not telling him my one, small complaint: No free wi-fi, unless you are a gold level HH Honors member. Paying for internet connection should be banished to the dust-bin of history.

So, why do I say almost as good as the Four Seasons? The level of service is great, but the Four Seasons is the benchmark for service and no Embassy Suites has ever come close to that perfection. Still, ask yourself: Is the Four Seasons two and a half times better, which is the price difference? Nope.

Room Tip: The second floor bedrooms are the only with 15-1/2 foot ceilings.
3 Thank DukDukGuus
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

This is a really nice hotel. It's clean & modern. The manager's reception was nice and so was the free breakfast. The pool is small & has way too much chlorine,but it's still nice. My family & I enjoyed every minute of our stay up until check out time. My son left his cellular phone in the room. No one turned it in, they pretended like it wasn't there. I know for sure it was there. That changed my entire experience. This quality hotel should have quality employees!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our family of five stayed at Embassy Suites on vacation. The hotel is newly opened, the building repurposed from a department store. They've maintained the elegance and beauty of the historic building, while tastefully decorating the rooms with modern decor. Our room had very high ceilings with ceiling to floor window treatments. The room was very quiet! We appreciated the framed art of when the building had been in use as Famous-Barr Department store. A great addition to the downtown options for lodging.

The valet attendents were helpful and courteous. We missed the manager's reception, but did enjoy the full breakfast and wonderful omelets prepared by Miss Helen - delicious!

Nice restaurants within three blocks walking distance of the hotel - loved Mango's peruvian food! We walked to the Jefferson Memorial Park and St. Louis Arch. Management locked up our luggage after check-out so we could tour the Arch before leaving town, without paying for other parking. Perfect location for downtown activities including baseball, riverfront and Arch activities, and shopping at Macy's.

The valet parking was what you expect in a downtown area, but a bit pricey at $27. The only complaint was the cost of sundries. They charged $11+ for a Stouffers frozen french bread pizza and ice cream bar for a bottomless pit teenager. Turns out you can't prepare the pizza in your microwave, only defrost it - so why sell it?

2 Thank Traveling_Mammy_of_3
Effingham, Illinois
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown St Louis last night. First we LOVE Embassy suites very nice hotels and great value with Manager's nightly reception and the breakfast. We really love the atriums in all the other ones we have stayed at, this one does not have one. It was a great location and was really clean, the staff great and the rooms very big but it had virtually no lobby at all. The breakfast was awesome as usual but no coffe shop (Star Bucks) in hotel. We will stay here again for sure but as far as Embassy Suites go the one in St Charles, Missouri is SUPER nice and the one in Peoria, Illinois is AWESOME, that is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four nights while attending a conference in the convention center, which is right across the street. Our room, actually a two-room suite with a king bed, was great. Service was good, bed was excellent, room clean. This is a great use of an old building and is right downtown, near the arch and close to a lot of really good restaurants. Two big flat screen TV's and good in room coffee. The breakfast is superb, with made to order omelets and plenty of other breakfast foods. We only ate in the restaurant once, and it was OK. Hotel staff was pleasant and always helpful. Our schedule did not permit us using the pool or other amenities.

Room Tip: the rooms are laid out around a huge square and if you are at the far end from the elevators, as we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business